Tide Problem, can anyone help?

K

kindgrind

Hi, Kinda new to beach hunting. Heres the story and problem!

Searched this beach on tuesday, I walk out with 2 gold rings and a necklace and my friend has 4 rings. We come back the next day and search for 20 minutes and he gets another ring and I score a watch. Tide rolls in at the 20min mark and when it finally decide to pull back 6 hours later there was a whole new layer of sand ontop of our spot and now we cant find junk! Is this normal? will the tide take back the new sand? Whats the deal with it and will I ever get my sweet spot back!!?

Thanks, Kindgrind

Upvote 0

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
yes that is completely normal... welcome to the wonderful world of beach hunting.

The tides also strip sand away, so it isn't a total loss. Thats why many of us hit the beaches after the big storms. For info on reading the tides, check out www.thegoldenolde.com. Probably the best collection of knowledge on beach and surf hunting around.

steve

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
dats da way it is---get it while the getting is good--as in all things in life

the chances for "good stuff" only last so long----the chance of bad stuff never goes away---as the french say ---Say la vee---( thats life) but now --the good news ---the first good storm should strip bare the spot ***remember where it is and even write notes down on it so you can find the same sweet spot again. good luck ivan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL ;D welcome to the world of beach hunting. What is sweet today is covered tomorrow.

What I do is when I find a nice spot, I mark it with some kind of of landmark that doesn't change (N and S / E and W if possible). Then I check it every time I go back and hit that beach. If its going to produce again you will know fairly quickly by the targets.

I hunt for cuts in the water, troughs behind the sand bars, any place that gets me more depth and where jewelry can get caught as it sinks in the sand.

Be sure to search the side walls of the cuts and troughs, as I have found things there I would have missed if I had just checked the surface on top and surface in bottom of the cut and hadnt checked the side walls.

Good luck and good hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spez said it best.
yes that is completely normal... welcome to the wonderful world of beach hunting.

The tides also strip sand away, so it isn't a total loss. Thats why many of us hit the beaches after the big storms. For info on reading the tides, check out www.thegoldenolde.com. Probably the best collection of knowledge on beach and surf hunting around.

This is what makes it interesting. One way I've used is to mark where I leave off or want to start with a waypoint on my GPS. It's fairly accurate, at least to get me closer than guessing or looking for my X scrape mark on the sand.

Have fun,
Sandman

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SM,

What GPS do you use and is it waterproof? Hunting in the surf at Daytona Beach means there is a strong possibility anything I carry will get wet.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter, I use a Garmin GPSMap 76S. I think any good one with a 20 foot scale would work. The scale is for detail as I can even see where I've walked. On dry sand you can see your tracks. I like this one because it has a big screen, but it isn't in color.
I enclose mine in a freezer Zip-Loc bag and haven't had a problem yet.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
Sandman said:
Spez said it best.

This is what makes it interesting. One way I've used is to mark where I leave off or want to start with a waypoint on my GPS. It's fairly accurate, at least to get me closer than guessing or looking for my X scrape mark on the sand.

Have fun,
Sandman

I never thought of that but that's a great idea for using the GPS unit. I knew I would find a good use for it yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions