Tin ingot question

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this piece of a tin ingot at a site that once had a 1900 era farm house. I know the ancients used tin for making bronze, but what would it have been used for on a farm, plating? Today, these ingots are inexpensive and readily available. Besides commerical plating/coating applications and metallurgy, could it have some home owner applications? Google didn't help much with this one.

Attachments

• DSCN2898.JPG
    DSCN2898.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 141

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Lead and Tin are used to make Solder.

Solder was used in plumbing and Electrical work.

OP
OP
gary s fl

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
Homefire, I'd forgotten that tin is used in solder but from what I'ver read, the highest percentage of tin in solder is 75%. I don't think a farmer or home owner would attempt to make their own solder but perhaps the tin was combined with lead to produce tern plate for hot dipping to prevent corrosion. The melting point is only 450 degrees F so it shouldn't have been difficult to use. Just a guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread