Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tiny finds at "The Forest"

Friday & Saturday morning were probably my last hunts in the heavily forested areas of Deer Grove :'(

The Buckthorn is growing like crazy, the ground cover is at least 8" tall and, "The Forest" almost
succeeded in hiding my FAVORITE digging tool >:( . . . which required a 30-minute "eye-ball" hunt to find!
(I shouldn't feel too bad, The Forest DID let me find a gold-plated ring with two small stones. . . but they fell out
when I was cleaning it up :D)

Back to FRIDAY. . .

I met my friend Mike out at The Forest Friday morning. . . I had brought my morning coffee,
fresh AA's, a cooler with Gatorade, but in my haste, I neglected (forgot ::)) to bring my water-proof
hiking boots. . . which are an absolute necessity for hunting The Forest.

Because of my "boot" oversight, I was confined to the "wussy" manicured areas (with years of
pull tabs and rusty bottle caps) while The Forest stood silently behind me. . . and smiled.

After what seemed like an eternity of listening to broken and sputtering signals from can-slaw,
aluminum tabs and bottle caps, I got a faint signal, and after 10-1/2" of digging, I was rewarded with
a 1920-D Merc. . . :)

DSCN1062.jpg

Since my shoes were now water-logged and muddy from two hours of wet grass hunting, I ventured
into the edge of The Forest and within 30-minutes, had found two Wheats. . . a 1919 and a 1918-S(?)
plus, another Merc (1926-D) that was buried under two tree roots (ten-minute dig :P)

DSCN1063.JPG

SATURDAY. . . hardly slept Friday night. . . couldn't wait to get back to The Forest Saturday morning :icon_pirat:. . .

When I arrived at DEER GROVE Saturday morning (and I mention this site by name for a good reason),
my anticipation of what I might find turned into rage.

SOMEONE had been there MD'ing the manicured grass areas before I arrived and HAD NOT bothered
to fill ANY of their holes and replace their plugs!!! After cleaning up THEIR MESS, I got on with my hunt.

And, what did I find in The Forest on Saturday?. . . A tiny lead car :icon_jokercolor:

DSC_2093.JPG

Thanks for looking & HH!
watercolor

Upvote 0

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tiny finds at "The Forest"

Sounds like you had a good time..... You got silver!!!!!!

Wasn't my holes.

Haven't been out there since I stubbed my big toe really bad out there with you guys..

Mark time to start ringing the door bells of the older homes out your way...

Short trips and short hunts yield good finds...

Give me a call during the week and we'll do this latest house I just got permission to do.
1900 to 1920's house with a lot of land... I'm hoping that after 2 months of driving by to see someone there to ask permission will pay off. Rang the bell about 8 times with nobody there. Sat. drove by at about 3:30 and saw a guy there. Bingooooooooooo Have at it " anytime" Can I bring a friend or 2. Sure "NO PROBLEM"

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

I am going to miss "The Forest" stories as they are always entertaining as well as some interesting finds! :'( Beautiful Mercs you found and absolutely love the old lead vehicle too! Thanks for sharing the Forest with us and looking forward to when you can get back there again! :thumbsup:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds, WC. Love that little "bus". I'm sure where ever you go to hunt you will find some interesting stuff.

:wink: RR

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300

Nice finds. Thats some impressive depth for dimes. What VDI do you get on a dime at 8". Do you even care about the VDI or do you just listen to the tone?

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Very nice Liberty dimes Watercolor!

Sounds like a fun in the forest...

Take a hand weed whacker along...

HH
rmptr

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

WC~

Love the tiny lead car, mercs and wheats! Sounds like some work on your part well rewarded. Good job!

Baldingboy

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Way to keep with that 10 1/2" deep coin, I normally would of given up at 8"........ :tard:

Cheers!

Dugholes :laughing7:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o Super finds, WC!

Nana :)

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone for all your comments. . . my only hope of getting back into The Forest
areas now is when they clear out more of the Buckthorn infested areas. My fingers are crossed.

DugHoles said:
Way to keep with that 10 1/2" deep coin, I normally would of given up at 8"........ :tard:

Cheers!

Dugholes :laughing7:

unclejesse67 said:
Nice finds. Thats some impressive depth for dimes. What VDI do you get on a dime at 8". Do you even care about the VDI or do you just listen to the tone?

Most of the time I'm not paying attention to the VDI numbers. . . just the tones.

When I found the Merc, it "sounded" like a faint (but solid) penny and the deeper I
dug, the louder and more solid it became. I think the most important thing I learned about hunting
this site, was that if I got an odd-sounding tone or a silent "break" in my background threshold,
the target area should always be re-checked from different angles.

Thanks again for your comments,
watercolor

P.S. Thanks Bob, sounds like a neat plan, I'll give you a call later :thumbsup:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice looking finds,

You certainly got the machine to find them with. I love the Dfx.

HH Jer

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself

watercolor said:
Friday & Saturday morning were probably my last hunts in the heavily forested areas of Deer Grove :'(

The Buckthorn is growing like crazy, the ground cover is at least 8" tall and, "The Forest" almost
succeeded in hiding my FAVORITE digging tool >:( . . . which required a 30-minute "eye-ball" hunt to find!
(I shouldn't feel too bad, The Forest DID let me find a gold-plated ring with two small stones. . . but they fell out
when I was cleaning it up :D)

Back to FRIDAY. . .

I met my friend Mike out at The Forest Friday morning. . . I had brought my morning coffee,
fresh AA's, a cooler with Gatorade, but in my haste, I neglected (forgot ::)) to bring my water-proof
hiking boots. . . which are an absolute necessity for hunting The Forest.

Because of my "boot" oversight, I was confined to the "wussy" manicured areas (with years of
pull tabs and rusty bottle caps) while The Forest stood silently behind me. . . and smiled.

After what seemed like an eternity of listening to broken and sputtering signals from can-slaw,
aluminum tabs and bottle caps, I got a faint signal, and after 10-1/2" of digging, I was rewarded with
a 1920-D Merc. . . :)

Since my shoes were now water-logged and muddy from two hours of wet grass hunting, I ventured
into the edge of The Forest and within 30-minutes, had found two Wheats. . . a 1919 and a 1918-S(?)
plus, another Merc (1926-D) that was buried under two tree roots (ten-minute dig :P)

SATURDAY. . . hardly slept Friday night. . . couldn't wait to get back to The Forest Saturday morning :icon_pirat:. . .

When I arrived at DEER GROVE Saturday morning (and I mention this site by name for a good reason),
my anticipation of what I might find turned into rage.

SOMEONE had been there MD'ing the manicured grass areas before I arrived and HAD NOT bothered
to fill ANY of their holes and replace their plugs!!! After cleaning up THEIR MESS, I got on with my hunt.

And, what did I find in The Forest on Saturday?. . . A tiny lead car :icon_jokercolor:

Thanks for looking & HH!
watercolor

now are some neat finds, also i might add very clear pics. What camera you use i might ask?

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cr4zyH0rs3 said:
now are some neat finds, also i might add very clear pics. What camera you use i might ask?

Thank you "Cr4zyHOrs3". . . when I'm out hunting, I use my wife's Nikon CoolPix 5200. . . it's small and I can carry it around in my pocket. When I photograph my finds, I use my Nikon D200 with a 28-70mm lens (too big to carry around hunting) then I re-size my images in Photoshop.

Take care & HH!
watercolor

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice digs WC. :thumbsup: Thanks for the great pix too.
-MM-

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Nice stuff! Thanks for sharing & for taking the time to fill in those holes left by the other guy. Helps give us all a good name.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions