Tiny limestone celt!

Bmillby

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2016
Southern Illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this tiny limestone celt last month. One of the smallest I've seen and to be made of limestone too! Southern Illinois field find. IMG_20160302_191634.jpg

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if it is a Celt what purpose would it of had? I havent found a whole one yet but the ones I find show polish and smoothness still today. On this one I see lines and cortex no polish. The lines even go around the bit. Could be natural imo, welcome to the site and I would of brought it home.

OP
OP
B

Bmillby

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2016
Southern Illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So if it is a Celt what purpose would it of had? I havent found a whole one yet but the ones I find show polish and smoothness still today. On this one I see lines and cortex no polish. The lines even go around the bit. Could be natural imo, welcome to the site and I would of brought it home.

Since it is limestone it will oxidize much easier. There is evidence of wear on the lower half of the bit where the material has weathered better. It was examined by a state archeologist and deemed as an artifact. As for use, or would be debatable. Some have argued childs toy. The archaeologist thought it was just a regular tool of some sort. Would have been handy to cut reeds or sticks, maybe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread