Tiny skull effigy or something like that?????

Construction Man

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tiny skull found years ago.
I have an item that my son in law found while looking for arrowheads on a farm in Fleming county, Kentucky years ago. He has asked around and shown it to numerous people with no help as to how old it may be or even what it is, or was used for. I was browsing the internet and found this site to be very interesting and informative, so I thought I would give it a try.

036.JPG
This first attachment shows the small skull item head-on. (Material is very light. Can't even tell that you are holding it.)

038.JPG

040.JPG

041.JPG

042.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG
This last 2 photos shows the backside and as you can see, the mouth hole does not go all the way through the piece. There is some sort of two-level notch on this backside. Any info would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would not be crazy to think you may have a new discovery who knows we will never really know what they were doin haha nice find ;) frame that B$&&$

OP
OP
C

Construction Man

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it definitely could be something. I always look at it as, just because someone has never seen anything like it doesn't mean it's not infant a relic. Did you or your son ever find anything else there or go back to the location?

It is farm land where many arrowheads have been found. I do not know of any other pieces such as this one though.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think TomClark got it.

I did a google image search on the bone type Tom mentioned. I did not see any that resembled a face. Do you know if it is known that they do at times resemble a face, or did someone put those pits in the bone?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The county where this was found very near some of the larger Ft Ancient sites found in the Ohio Valley (Fox Field, Rosebury, etc.) The Ft Ancient people didn't seem to be as fascinated with the death cult like some of the earlier Mississippian peoples, but skulls aren't unknown in their iconography. The larger shell gorgets and masks often have similar round eyes and mouth. It looks like a neat and unique piece, but to me it fits with a trinket found near a couple of major sites.

It could have been a natural piece that was modified (given that all ancient artifacts start as something natural that is modified) but I'd be surprised if it were 100% natural.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think it was man made a long time ago

blueracer

Aug 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats awesome! Id call giorgio tsoukalos from Ancient Aliens though, because when in doubt....Extraterrestrials...

OP
OP
C

Construction Man

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a google image search on the bone type Tom mentioned. I did not see any that resembled a face. Do you know if it is known that they do at times resemble a face, or did someone put those pits in the bone?

I don't know nor am I familiar with the type of bone Tom is talking about. (Tilly Bone?) To me, it has the texture of both pumice and possibly clay. This piece is definitely sculpted and not weathered/natural. I did find out that besides arrowheads, there have been numerous pieces of broken clay items found at the farm where this was located.

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
You really need to get in touch with a ufologist about that piece. If they viewed that they would probably break your door down to get a look at it and would probably use it in one of their future documentaries. Definitely not a natural piece.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread