Tips for estate sales?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I sure could use some pointer and suggestions.

In our area, tag sales are still pretty uncommon. If you use the term "estate sale" in our part of the state, 99% of the time, you'll get a response "Who is the auctioneer?"

I've been buying at auction for years, but a new company in town is holding tag sales. I've been to all of them, which is about 12 sales.

The big problems that I have:

I generally make a pile of my picks somewhere in the garage. There hasn't been a sale yet that someone doesn't go through my pile while I am not looking. The pile is just too much to carry. I filled an S-10 and a full size Chevy sedan at the last sale, and couldn't believe it all fit.

I am also losing time carrying junk from one room to my pile. That is time that I am losing to pick and sort. I am also wasting time trying to keep others out of my pile.

How do you work estate sales? Where do you put your pile of junk? Do you carry a tote or a bag?

What is the earliest you've ever arrived at a sale before it opens?

I'd be more than happy to hear your suggestions and advice.

Thanks in advance!!!!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Sounds like you found a great estate sales company, at least in that they keep prices low enough to actually move much of the estate over one weekend. I ask the estate people to watch my pile - they know I show up at every sale and your company should know you by now. Usually I can make a small pile near the check-out, but a giant pile to fill a truck wouldn't work that close. How about a sign? "SOLD -Clovis97" Putting your name or initials on it would infer ownership in a way that a simple SOLD tag wouldn't. If you're gonna do that you should at least come to an agreement with the estate people about location of the pile, and actually buy the stuff you're reserving. If you're buying by the truckload you should be able to tag furniture where it sits. If you don't want sticky tags how about heavy duty zip ties and tags?

Well, that's a lot of talk from someone who rarely leaves a sale with a full tote bag. I don't have a lot of space so I concentrate on Treasure -- small items of high value unrecognized by my competition.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tag team the sales with my wife and when we get too much to carry we will make a pile near the checkout and tell one of the sales people about it. The wife will also "stand guard" sometimes too. We carry a plastic see through tote sometimes, sometimes not. Carry a white bedsheet with you and use it to keep your items covered. Write in big bold letters SOLD! DO NOT TOUCH! on it. You still have to watch your items because people are always looking or trying to look through your stuff, it's part of the process, unfortunately.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the estate sales here a line will form 45-60 minutes prior to the sale with them only allowing 10 people in at a time, so you have to get there early to be in the front of the line and take someone with you that can guard your pile. you should chat up the person running it and he or she will see you there every time, ask them to let you come in an hour early and buy, this worked for me when I used to go to estate sales(the professionally runned ones), Good luck.......Scott.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I guess I'm spoiled. I work part time for a local estate sale company in exchange for a small hourly rate & the chance to buy things before the sale. This company sets up a holding area at the check out section & has workers throughout the property that will take your items to that area.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
The wife and I take turns guarding the pile. People will try and go through it even if you're basically standing on/in it. Wife likes the hunt, but is nowhere to be found when its listing time.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for your help, suggestions and advice.

My wife goes to the tag sales with me. Generally, we split up, and we both look. Since I am a little more versed on what will sell, she usually finishes up and guards the pile as best she can.

The staff does know me, and they watch the pile, but it does get picked through by others when they aren't looking. I haven't lost anything of great value yet, but it does irritate me. Last week I lost 2 small items, one was a $1 item that I had already paid for!!!! I know, it was just $1, but dealing with these small minded housewives trying to explain kindly "I've already bought these items" gets really, really old when they argue with you.

We are going to bring a bed sheet to the next sale, and some plastic totes too.

Part of this problem is the estate sale company. They are somewhat disorganized, and the right hand doesn't always know what the left is doing. Not completely their fault, but they are part of the issue. I still don't know why they won't make piles outside for us when the weather permits. This could have been easily done at the last 3 sales, seeing the backyards were fenced, but only had access from one or two doors, both of which were locked.

Again, thank you. I appreciate the help. Just discussing this has helped us make a better game plan for the upcoming sale this Friday.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Most estate companies by me have signs posted NO LARGE PURSES/BAGS! Theft is a real problem. I wear my hoodie with the large front pocket and I use it if I need to carry items while I shop. So when I come up to the front to pay and start unloading all the items out of my hoodie they get this look on their face. I inform them of their policy about no purses. Which is basically reminding them of the futility of their large handbag ban but also I have to keep the mood light while I butter them up for some savings. 8-)

I have never lost anything in a pile yet, I make sure I put my pile down next to where someone is working (front paying area) and I try and even put it behind them or squirrel it away underneath their table area. That way if someone wanted to pick through my pile they will have to bend down right in front of the person running the sale, it is a little easier for them to spot that. Also at the very least get the worker to acknowledge your pile, don't assume they know it is your stuff.

I have inadvertently picked through other people piles. Sometimes piles do form by the pay area where people bring items up and they don't get the price they want so they leave the items, and the workers are too busy to put them back.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Most estate companies by me have signs posted NO LARGE PURSES/BAGS! Theft is a real problem. I wear my hoodie with the large front pocket and I use it if I need to carry items while I shop. So when I come up to the front to pay and start unloading all the items out of my hoodie they get this look on their face. I inform them of their policy about no purses. Which is basically reminding them of the futility of their large handbag ban but also I have to keep the mood light while I butter them up for some savings. 8-)

I have never lost anything in a pile yet, I make sure I put my pile down next to where someone is working (front paying area) and I try and even put it behind them or squirrel it away underneath their table area. That way if someone wanted to pick through my pile they will have to bend down right in front of the person running the sale, it is a little easier for them to spot that. Also at the very least get the worker to acknowledge your pile, don't assume they know it is your stuff.

I have inadvertently picked through other people piles. Sometimes piles do form by the pay area where people bring items up and they don't get the price they want so they leave the items, and the workers are too busy to put them back.

I have also inadvertently picked through other people's piles. One time I saw a guy looking at a full tackle box but he didn't pick it up or move it or anything. He walked away and I asked him if he was gonna buy it and he shook his head (no). I walked over to it, stooped down, opened it up, looked through it, and began to carry it off. The same guy hustles over to me and SCREAMS "THATS MINE". Last month I was at a garage sale looking through jewelry at a card table loaded with it. A woman pulls up, jumps out, and runs over to the table. She LITERALLY pushes me out of the way and starts going through the jewelry. Well, I pushed back and proceeded to block the jewelry with my body and get in her way when she would reach for something. She moved around to the rear of the table to look at the stuff from behind. I kept doing my thing and when I opened a drawer to look through it she reaches her hand into the drawer to scoop up the contents. I literally grabbed the jewelry out of her hand. Eventually she left.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also inadvertently picked through other people's piles. One time I saw a guy looking at a full tackle box but he didn't pick it up or move it or anything. He walked away and I asked him if he was gonna buy it and he shook his head (no). I walked over to it, stooped down, opened it up, looked through it, and began to carry it off. The same guy hustles over to me and SCREAMS "THATS MINE". Last month I was at a garage sale looking through jewelry at a card table loaded with it. A woman pulls up, jumps out, and runs over to the table. She LITERALLY pushes me out of the way and starts going through the jewelry. Well, I pushed back and proceeded to block the jewelry with my body and get in her way when she would reach for something. She moved around to the rear of the table to look at the stuff from behind. I kept doing my thing and when I opened a drawer to look through it she reaches her hand into the drawer to scoop up the contents. I literally grabbed the jewelry out of her hand. Eventually she left.
She wouldn't have got a chance to reach for anything with me. I would have told her in no uncertain terms (loud and clear) that when I am done she can look through the jewelry. I can't stand pigs with no cooth or etiquette.

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not often that I buy any larger items at busy sales, so I usually follow some advice I read here on the forum: Grab a coffee mug and use that to carry around your finds until you're ready to check out. Easy, inconspicuous without seeming deceptive, and you can never have too many coffee mugs! I believe it was cyberdan who mentioned it.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I confess, there was this one day I had too many energy drinks. This old lady picked up a necklace and looked at it and put it down at a small yard sale. I picked up the necklace and said "How much for this?" But then went ahead and picked up 4 more items and said "And all these?" They gave a price and I accepted. The items were right in front of the old lady. She got miffed, said something that indicated that I was rude for getting in her personal space and stomped off to her car. Well I realized I was a little too amped up and was behaving badly. To this day I regret driving away the old lady. The handful of silver is long gone and forgotten. The memory of me being a d**k lives on and on.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've learned from reading this forum, that estate sales can be VERY different from area to area....and from company to company.

In my area, they are all ran relatively the same...there are minor differences, but mostly the same format...just different levels of professionalism, and pricing.

My family runs the longest running estate sale business in the area (over 18 years), and we were customers of the now long gone ones for many years before that.

The average local companies have about one sale every two weeks, we have been having about two every week, and even three one weekend a few months ago. I can tell you how we handle our customers purchase piles, and give you a few tips from "the other side of the sale".

We have pretty much our regular customers at every sale, and then the occasional new customer, or occasional/seasonal customer. We pretty much know which ones will make a pile, and which ones will need their very own "shopping assistant" to walk around with them. We love our dealers and make a point of pointing out things that they can make money on...whether it be online or in their shop. We will price things where they can at least double their money if they buy at full price, and all items will usually be half price if they make it to the second day.

We only have two days to sell the contents, and it is in our best interest to price the items to sell...so we do. Sometimes our hands are tied as to pricing, if the owners want a certain amount for something, or want to keep it if it doesn't sell for a certain price.

We put up three tables at checkout, one card table for small items and jewelry, a 6ft for the registers, and another card table for wrapping and bagging. Most piles will be under, or beside those tables, and we try our best to watch them...usually there isn't a problem, but sometimes someone (usually a new customer) will try to pick through the pile. If the customer is one of the ones that buys a lot, we will have an worker follow them around and box up their purchases and gather up all the tags and take them to the register. If you become a "regular" the estate sale people should figure that out quick enough, and make sure you are taken care of. We will even call our regulars (dealers or otherwise) and let them know if something they are normally interested in will be for sale.

We don't let anyone in early, as it is not fair to our other customers, but we will be very accomodating to our regulars when possible.

Putting your own "Sold" tags on things will get you ejected from our sales! It's not "sold" until it is paid for, or at least taken to a "pile". We will put a sold tag on a large item once it is paid for, but we have to tape price tags back on items every week that people were going to buy, but changed their minds. A "Sold" tag will keep other customers from even considering an item, even if it ends up for sale again later because someone changed their minds.

People that always ask to get something below the marked price rarely do.

People that buy a lot of things from us, get deals on smaller items.

People that ask for something below the marked price where anyone (or, in most cases, everyone) can hear will never get it.

We have customers that help us load heavy things for other customers, or in some cases even deliver things for other customers...we notice that, and make sure they are always happy at our sales.

Pushy, loud, and rude customers also get noticed.................

Pople that like to point out that "you can get it at Walmart brand new for a little more than that", never get anything cheaper....but they usually draw attention to the item, and someone that knows better usually buys it as soon as they put it down.

People that complain about the fact that we are required to collect sales tax, never get the sales tax taken off. We only make 25%....it is a very close margin to be able to make any money, so there is no way to make any if we had to pay another 7% for someone elses sales tax. If someone lets a few cents or a few dollars stand between them and something they want....that's their issue to deal with.

Even at two sales a week many weeks, and other sales and garage sales as competition, we almost always sell most everything in the houses...we price to sell, and we take care of our customers. If you become a regular at your local sales they should notice and take care of you.....you just might need to "nudge" them a little to notice.

I hope some of that helps you...I know things are different in every area, but most things should be the same.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
John,
Your post is fantastic!!!!!!!

It is nice to hear about the other side of these sales. While I always try to be mindful of others and their business, I think it is easy to overlook the inside workings of an estate sale.

For instance, I overheard a few customer's at the last sale complaining that the estate company didn't have enough hired help. Sure, they could have used another person or two, but when you look at it, the cost of labor is really high. Considering that they pay $10-$12 an hour, and they have 8 people working, means they are spending $80 to $96 an hour for the hired help. A day starting as late as 9:00 and running until 3:00 will cost $480 to $576, not including early set up time or closing up time. Coffee, cokes and lunch for the employees have to be costing another $50 to $100. I think they are buying breakfast too for the core employees, and that must run another $40+.

Again, thank you for the insight...

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
John,

I'd also like to know if you ever entertain offers from customers who want to buy the entire estate before the sale begins. I really toyed with the idea of calling the estate company before their last sale, to make an offer on everything in the house, lock, stock and barrel.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Must have been something going on in NJ last week. I was at a sale in Ocean County and saw two people turn an estate sale into a mini-auction. Two young guys were negotiating with the owner for a couple of items, when an older woman just interjected "I'll give you double that". The young guys were taken back and started to tell her "that's not how it works" when she just reached in and actually pulled one of the items away from one of the guys. Various allegations of battery were made and then things calmed down a bit. The owner, not wanting any party of it, declared "I'm not one to enter squabbles - you'll have to settle it amongst yourselves". That was disappointing - because he could have acted to resolve the problem. A few minutes thereafter, the same lady started another fight with another lady who had discovered a jewelry box. They were close to blows when I left. Next sale, one county over to the south west (getting close to Jerseyben's territory) I witnessed two guys fighting over a scrap set of washers/dryers on the front lawn. Guy number 1 told guy number 2 he "would sooner kill you then let you take my s**t".

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John,

I'd also like to know if you ever entertain offers from customers who want to buy the entire estate before the sale begins. I really toyed with the idea of calling the estate company before their last sale, to make an offer on everything in the house, lock, stock and barrel.

Sometimes we take a sale on just to help out a realtor, lawyer, or longtime customer. Some of those we only break even on, or maybe even lose a little on a rare occasion. Besides the things you mentioned, there is also the weekly running ads, the sale ads, the materials (you would be surprised how many tags, pens, tape, etc you go through a week), the gas, snacks and drinks for the workers, etc.

We wouldn't sell the whole contents of a house before the sale because when we agree to do a sale, we sign a contract to conduct a physical sale, not just liquidate the contents. Although it would be nice to turn a small profit for no work, it wouldn't be in our clients best interest, as they wouldn't make nearly as much money as a full scale sale would bring.

That being said....on occasion...we run into a situation where we don't have an opening to do a sale, and the person needs to empty the house right away, or the house or appartment is in a gated community that doesn't allow sales, and we don't have any empty space in another house to move the items into, or there is just no way to make any money off of the items, In those situations, we have a guy we call that will make an offer directly to the owners, and buy the contents. We don't get anything out of it except helping the person out, but it scores some points with the realtors by solving their problem of emptying a house before a closing.

I would suggest that you get on a first name basis with the estate sale operators....help them load heavy items...don't complain about anything, or pester them about getting something cheaper than marked price....compliment them on something if they deserve it (people are quick to complain, but slow to compliment)....just be generally pleasant. Then, after establishing a relationship, let them know that if they ever find themselves in a position where they have to pass on doing a sale, that you would like to make an offer on the estate if possible. I bet that they would rather see that, than a competitor getting the sale!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Must have been something going on in NJ last week. I was at a sale in Ocean County and saw two people turn an estate sale into a mini-auction. Two young guys were negotiating with the owner for a couple of items, when an older woman just interjected "I'll give you double that". The young guys were taken back and started to tell her "that's not how it works" when she just reached in and actually pulled one of the items away from one of the guys. Various allegations of battery were made and then things calmed down a bit. The owner, not wanting any party of it, declared "I'm not one to enter squabbles - you'll have to settle it amongst yourselves". That was disappointing - because he could have acted to resolve the problem. A few minutes thereafter, the same lady started another fight with another lady who had discovered a jewelry box. They were close to blows when I left. Next sale, one county over to the south west (getting close to Jerseyben's territory) I witnessed two guys fighting over a scrap set of washers/dryers on the front lawn. Guy number 1 told guy number 2 he "would sooner kill you then let you take my s**t".

Yikes!!!!!!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
...don't complain about anything, or pester them about getting something cheaper than marked price....

OOOPS! I already blew that one!!!!

When this company first started, there were two owners. One of the owners was looking to me to tell him if his prices were too high, and told me repeatedly to make offers, so I did. This house was FULL, and they were wanting it emptied. This owner left the business soon afterwards, and I thought that the same relationship would continue with the other owner. I quickly found out that they were offended by any offer of negotiation.

I think we are back on track. The last couple of sales have been much better. They seem to be wanting to move stuff, and I think they understand where I am coming from too. As I've always told them, (after I've paid for my pile), "I'd like to have those items, and the price is good, but there isn't any room left in it to make it worthwhile. I'll take them now if we can work out a price."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions