Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Normally I only look for the silver halves but I want to find a proof. As of now I edge search all my rolls, do you guys have any tips to help me find a proof? Thanks

btw I got a CWR with 10- 40% and a 90% kennedy in my last roll yesterday! Over half way to my goal of 100 silvers after only 2 months of searching!

All proof coins tend be thicker than normal. Silver proofs are most likely to have a fresh light grey edge, while normal silver coins have a darker and thinner edge due to circulation.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My best advice would be to look for a very keen, sharp, clear looking edge. The reeded edges usually stand out more than on a normal coin. Pull out any coin when you're doing rim checks that may look like this and look for an "S" mint mark. I have a ton of proofs but I'm thinking about putting them back into circulation as they're not really worth anything. Unless you find a GEM uncirculated then I would say dump it, unless you want some solely just to have some.

Last edited:

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only found 1 proof in my limited CRH career but I did notice how "perfect" the rim was on it. From then on I've been checking any half that has an almost perfect rim.

Btw nice find on that solid roll.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The only logical explanation would be that Username is trying to congratulate Circa on a former solid roll (don't know if he/she had one). I would send that by PM though, since it is unrelated to this post.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are what a few of my proofs look like from the edge. The silver is a 1970 S 40%.
IMG_20120506_155729.jpg

Last edited:

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
As the others have said, a crisp clean edge that is thicker than usual is what you're looking for. Once you pick up on that look, they're as easy to spot as silvers.

Last 5 boxes I did produced 15 or so proofs, about half of which were frosted cameo's. I know not owrth much circulated, but they sure are pretty :)

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look for the thickness and the defined reeds, as mentioned above, but I've also noticed that clad proofs have a very cherry red copper color, much more striking than on most coins. I always keep the proofs, you could probably always sell em for a buck a piece at least the next time you have a garage sale

OP
OP
Circa

Circa

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found a solid roll... Thanks for the tips on spotting proofs, I'm going to start to look for them just because I want to find one.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After edge searching I like to clink them 1 by 1 into my hand to look at each coin front or back, looking for Kennedy, the eagle or the courthouse (bicentenial) while doing this the mirror finish will grab your eye. IMO this is a quick way to sound check and vision check each coin for magicians, cameos or commemoratives or an overlooked edge checked 40% coin.

Like others have said it is a very bright colored coin.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 7 so far this year. I take a quick look at any rim that is big brigh and shiney as well as any that appear thing and sharp compared to others in the roll.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- the reeding is much more defined
- Thicker edge appearance, weight is still the same, must be from the double strike that the edge is thicker
- Frosted cameo
- blindingly bright mirror finish when in good condition and not oiled up from grubby McFingers

Once you start pulling a few it will become very obvious to you.

Good Luck!
Bigheed

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you start pulling a few it will become very obvious to you.

Not to overstate the obvious, but you will know it when you find one! My wife was helping search and kept asking what one looked like and I showed her a few, then she picked on out of a roll by edge searching. Just like edge identifying your first 40% half, once you find one, you can spot them from a mile away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread