Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sucks, pay couple hundred thousand to sink to the bottom of the Atlantic. Hope they find them soon, but it is 12,000 feet deep.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The sub has a 96hr recovery window. Meaning they can survive that long.
So the clock is ticking.

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do bot know the specifics, but I think the 96 hr window is being optimistic. That figure is probably provided under normal operation and not the increased respiration rate of a sub full of panicked individuals. Realistically, I think they have significantly less.

The best case scenario is the sub surfaced and experienced mechanical issues and is floating along somewhere. However, I think that is unlikely. If they have not been spotted, radioed for help, used a satellite phone, or activated an emergency beacon by now, then they probably never surfaced. I would find it hard that sub was damaged and all of those safety measures failed too.

The "best worst case" scenario is that the sub is disabled near the wreck. This will be the fastest path to locating and recovering the vessel. But the outcome still looks grim.

Slightly worse is if the vessel is stuck on the wreck and needs to be freed before recovery.

The absolute worst case is the sub is nowhere to be found when the wreck area is searched. At that point just hope an unfortunate miracle happened and the "best case scenario" is occurring. I am hoping for the best, but sadly, I have a feeling the worst outcome for the crew and families is likely to unfold.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's hope for a happy outcome.

With the proviso that one never knows how much of what is currently being reported is correct...

It's said that the submersible takes around two hours to descend to the wreck. The comms equipment on board automatically 'pings' back to the mother ship every 15 minutes and the last routine ping was 1 hour and 45 minutes into the dive. The submersible should have been directly above the wreck site at that time. It's also being said that an unscheduled additional ping was received, indicating the vessel was in distress, but the pings themselves carry no additional information. It's not known if the distress ping was triggered automatically, or activated by the crew.

A previous passenger detailed that the vessel has no means of escape, even if on the surface, since the occupants are effectively bolted inside and cannot be released without external assistance to release the bolts.

What a nightmare scenario.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread