TN Nor Cal day in the river

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
I hope i am not offending anyone by starting this thread.
I am just started gold prospecting last year with my son. Man, did i catch a fever.
I have only been out panning 4 times. The places i have been are Bear River, Mineral Bar, Yankees Jim and Roaring Camp.
I now have a BGT and a Gold-N-Sand hand dredge that i can't wait to try out.
I would love to meet up with the people here on TN.
If one of these places would work for a Saturday group outing or if someone else knows of a good place please yell out ( no hot spots or personal spots are expected ) just a good open public spot.
Lets figure out if Jan 25th or Feb 8th works out for most , including the Bazooka crew.
Steve

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would be very interested in Going North for Gold. It would probably be after the Motherlode Miners Bash April 5-6 if you can hold the invite until then. I am sure others want to go also...

Goldenmojo
You bet! Hoping to come down for the miners bash, awaiting the final go ahead from the spousal unit before I put in my RSVP

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its my fine silver spoon! Good eye sir!

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ DD Coil, 30" BGT Prospector, Blue bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BGT just came in the mail today... totally excited to get out there and see what it does... I'm trying to gauge the hike from what everyone is posting, but I suppose Ill just drive up with everything and then make a choice when I get there and pack accordingly... Might have my buddy Dave coming with me also..

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a 30" BGT as well. When packing in you'll be glad you got the 30", as the longer ones are harder to find packs for. When I take mine I put two 3 gal buckets in the pack first, then the BGT, mini shovel and everything else packs in and around it. The rest of what I bring looks pretty much like the photo of Aufishers rig. Best part the cover straps shut, barely, it's a snug fit but it does. Pan and classifier clips on and straps tight to the outside. Ski pole in each hand and over the boulders we go. Pack runs around 20-30lbs depending on if I bring a pair of waders or not. Also I usually leave the single jack and chisels if I'm gonna sluice. If your going to go boulder hopping tight load, no shifting and not too top heavy.

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a 30" BGT as well. When packing in you'll be glad you got the 30", as the longer ones are harder to find packs for. When I take mine I put two 3 gal buckets in the pack first, then the BGT, mini shovel and everything else packs in and around it. The rest of what I bring looks pretty much like the photo of Aufishers rig. Best part the cover straps shut, barely, it's a snug fit but it does. Pan and classifier clips on and straps tight to the outside. Ski pole in each hand and over the boulders we go. Pack runs around 20-30lbs depending on if I bring a pair of waders or not. Also I usually leave the single jack and chisels if I'm gonna sluice. If your going to go boulder hopping tight load, no shifting and not too top heavy.

I'm really regretting the fact that I didn't report my MOLLE gear pack a "combat loss" back in 2011. All I have now is a backpack on steroids that I used to travel around Afghanistan with... Gonna have to do a test fit here shortly and see what can actually fit in that pack, if not, might be just the excuse I need to go pack shoppin. muhuhahaha

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a 30" BGT as well. When packing in you'll be glad you got the 30", as the longer ones are harder to find packs for. When I take mine I put two 3 gal buckets in the pack first, then the BGT, mini shovel and everything else packs in and around it. The rest of what I bring looks pretty much like the photo of Aufishers rig. Best part the cover straps shut, barely, it's a snug fit but it does. Pan and classifier clips on and straps tight to the outside. Ski pole in each hand and over the boulders we go. Pack runs around 20-30lbs depending on if I bring a pair of or not. Also I usually leave the single jack and chisels if I'm gonna sluice. If your going to go boulder hopping tight load, no shifting and not too top heavy.

Ski poles huh:icon_scratch: Pretty clever fowledup! That just may keep me vertical on those vertical descents. I was looking at that very problem yesterday and was considering a knotted rope.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunatly, I do not think I will make it this weekend. Had a great time at Mineral Bar Sat & Sun., met some cool people & heard some new stories about life on the river....
Possibly due to spending (2) day's in freezin water, I've been down with the Flu since I got back :(
Was very excited to meet some TNet members, if I can get this kicked by Fri I'll be there SAT am, but kinda doubtin it right now...Have not even panned the con's from Sat / Sun.....

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm really regretting the fact that I didn't report my MOLLE gear pack a "combat loss" back in 2011. All I have now is a backpack on steroids that I used to travel around Afghanistan with... Gonna have to do a test fit here shortly and see what can actually fit in that pack, if not, might be just the excuse I need to go pack shoppin. muhuhahaha

I guess I won't be calling you shiney anymore........See you and your friend on Saturday....

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck tomorrow you guy's ! I am very dissapointed that I will not be joining :(
But, this cold still has me. Thinkin might need to visit the doc if it don't get better.

Anyway, Good luck, have fun, and be sure to find some good stuff !!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A.L. Sorry you are down and can't make it. We will dedicate the first flake we find to you. That didn't sound right LOL. We will be thinking of your plight as we soak in the cold water and bust our knuckles.... Hope you can make the next one and get well quickly!

GM

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
If anyone else gets a wild hair and decide you want to join us just show up at the Mineral Bar Bridge parking lot at 7:00 a.m. Just give the TN secret yell and we will know you are one of us.
Btw I am going to be staying closer to the bridge and setting up my new 36" BGT and not going boulder climbing as the rest of the crew is doing. So if someone wants to come out and join me that would be great. May not find a much gold as hiking farther in but it will still be a great day of sluicing and panning
Steve

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Alewis,
Hope to meet up with you on another day on the river. Hope you feel better.
Steve

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If anyone else gets a wild hair and decide you want to join us just show up at the Mineral Bar Bridge parking lot at 7:00 a.m. Just give the TN secret yell and we will know you are one of us.
Btw I am going to be staying closer to the bridge and setting up my new 36" BGT and not going boulder climbing as the rest of the crew is doing. So if someone wants to come out and join me that would be great. May not find a much gold as hiking farther in but it will still be a great day of sluicing and panning
Steve

I might be there with ya, gonna have to check out how the hike is... got my 30 inch BGT and it just barely ( I emphasize BARELY) fits in my pack. Not sure how feasible it's going to be to be hoppin around like a jackrabbit. I'm not the most spry looking person to say the least. In any case, good to know there will be someone stayin close also.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck to you all, be safe and remember if we don't see pictures it never happened.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
See you gents at sunrise or a bit before!

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
GBpro. BGT 48" miner, 36" prospector and super mini
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a fun safe trip fellas, hope you all get some nice chunkies! Ill have to catch you guys on the next trip. Get well soon ALewis!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck guys, work smart and be safe! :)

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, the trip went great!! I could only stay for a half day which is why I'm posting some pictures right now, BGT worked good to catch the gold I did catch... Think the material I was on may have been worked before... Beautiful day, good people, and GOLD, couldn't ask for more! IMAG0700.jpg IMAG0701.jpg IMAG0703.jpg IMAG0705.jpg

Last edited:

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great pics of your trip. Dale and I took the windy ridge trail downstream 2 weeks ago for about a mile . Did not score very much , the area was well worked where we went down. May need to go further next time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread