To find the impossible find....

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Maryland, Pennsylvania line
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
I cant find the finds it tells me to find!!!

The ground is saturated with melted snow. I got in a few hours at a new site just up the road where an old house (1900's) and dairy was. I stomped around for a few and pulled a wheattie from under the clothesline and two memorials. Then it happened.

I started getting good signals of pennies and dimes and jewelry. I was using the jewelry and coin program. After digging deeper than it told me (by at least three inches on a 3.5" dig) nothing would show on the pinpointer. I sifted through all the dirt that I dug out and finally had the pinpointer go off but I sifted through all of the dirt and couldnt find a thing!

I even brought home the dirt the XLT was reading to put it in a container, wash and strain and settle. Right now I have still not found anything but the plastic container is still reading with my MDer and the pinpointer still acknowledges somethin is there! Maybe just suspended iron or something? I dont know.

Any help would be appreciated

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were you wearing a ring? :D

Sensitivity set too high?

I have found nichrome wire from broken lightbulbs are almost invisible to the eye but read like good targets. One site I hunt has summer carnivals and, apparantly, the bulbs get broken and disposed of but the wire remains???

OP
OP
Maryland Searcher

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
I was thinking about mineralized soil also, but I get such a high reading it would be remarkable I think. I thought (since I am new to this) that the ground around here is saturated and has a lot of salt from the snow removal. I knew salt would mess with readings, but since the soil has been washed and rinsed so many times I figured that would remove it.
Ive also noted that the depth readings on my XLT have been underestimating themselves. I get half inch readings and dig until I reach about 3.5 or 4 inches. Nothing before that even with the pinpointer.

T

TreasureTales

You might try contacting the manufacturer for info. They have heard it all and can answer it all. Most maufacturers are very happy to help.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
what coil are you using(what size)?is it clean?did you do a d.c. phase reading on the soil?
is there bird shot in the soil?

I know water saturated ground bumps readings on my xlt.the water changes the conductivity profile of targets.

my 5.3 coil will pick up lead debri no bigger than a match head.

good luck call white's

OP
OP
Maryland Searcher

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
DC Phase reading? Not familiar with that. Newbie here. Just starting the learning curve on the XLT. Stock coil but planning to get a smaller one that will narrow down the targets a little better.
Today the ground is a little less saturated but not by much. Reading started to come down to the proper levels. Let me know what the DC Phase reading is and I will adjust accordingly to see if it helps.

Thanks for the support guys and gals!

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
d.c. phase is an on/off pro option.it shows a vdi # reading for the soil during pinpoint.
do you have a coil cover,there maybe dirt that needs to be cleaned out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread