Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks....
I've been watching some videos on UTube to increase my knowledge.
I have watched some hunters vigorously rub dirt and sand from their finds while others are much more cautious removing only enough to see what it is. leaving the item cleanup to be completed at home.
I know that there are probably as many opinions on this as there are members. Just curious what ya'll think.

Also, while I'm on the subject, what is the best way to clean -
-Pennies/Cents
- Silver Coins
- Jewelry

Does cleaning these things in someway reduce their value or damage the piece?
Are there some things that should be cleaned and some that shouldn't?
Does anyone carry a bottle of water to rinse items on site?

Thanks for Sharing your knowledge.

~C~

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello carla705,
Great looking Bass and I would think 'it ate well'!

When any dirty detected item is rubbed, the dirt with rubbing scratches the item, even dry brushing of an item with a common paint brush causes scratches viewable via a microscope. IF that item is collectable any scratches will reduce its value such as scratched coins. Scratched coins when graded by a professional are looked at under a microscope and scratches show up quickly. Silver polish used for cleaning silverware adds tiny scratches the surface that cause the light to reflect making the surface look polished to the naked eye but put it under a microscope and wow is the surface ever scratched!

In the field I tend to put my coins into olive oil either in a jar or between oil soaked layers of cotton cloth. Washing them off at home under warm running water and at times (as I've seen recently by a serious coin hunter) using a very fine bristle makeup brush and only brushing in one direction Softly at that.

Nice machine you have there! Best of luck with your detecting and fishing............63bkpkr

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After finding thousands of old coins over the years, I have no desire to compromise the existing condition of the coin to see the date, especially with silver.
I don't see any problems with rubbing copper unless it is encased with sand or gravel.
Of course, I never posted a video on You-tube and can patiently wait until I get home to see more detail.
I do cringe every time I see a video with someone rubbing silver and can often even hear the sound of it go SCRATCH, SCRATCH!
Just think, a coin has been sitting in the ground for 100+ years, sometimes completely undisturbed, only to have someone change it's condition significantly in a couple of seconds!
Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
Carla705

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at this. It may help.

Metal Conservation: Preliminary Steps - Conservation Manual - Conservation Research Laboratory - Center for Maritime Archaeology and Conservation - Texas A&M University

And I like this also,

Thanks... I have bookmarked the links and will study. I appreciate the info.

cleaning coins using electrolosis
Building an electrolysis kit to clean ancient coins

Thanks....I have bookmarked the link and will study. Thanks for the information.
~C~

OP
OP
Carla705

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello carla705,
Great looking Bass and I would think 'it ate well'!

When any dirty detected item is rubbed the dirt with rubbing scratches the item, even dry brushing of an item with a common paint brush causes scratches viewable via a microscope. IF that item is collectable any scratches will reduce its value such as scratched coins. Scratched coins when graded by a professional are looked at under a microscope and scratches show up quickly. Silver polish used for cleaning silverware adds tiny scratches the surface that cause the light to reflect making the surface look polished to the naked eye but put it under a microscope and wow is the surface ever scratched!

In the field I tend to put my coins into olive oil either in a jar or between oil soaked layers of cotton cloth. Washing them off at home under warm running water and at times (as I've seen recently by a serious coin hunter) using a very fine bristle makeup brush and only brushing in one direction Softly at that.

Nice machine you have there! Best of luck with your detecting and fishing............63bkpkr

Thanks! The bass went back into the Delta after the tournament weigh-in. I don't have my equipment yet. Waiting for Uncle Sam to send my return. But it is what I plan on purchasing.
Thank you for the information...But curious, why oil?
See that you're in Northern Ca. Anywhere in my area?

~C~

OP
OP
Carla705

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After finding thousands of old coins over the years, I have no desire to compromise the existing condition of the coin to see the date, especially with silver.
I don't see any problems with rubbing copper unless it is encased with sand or gravel.
Of course, I never posted a video on You-tube and can patiently wait until I get home to see more detail.
I do cringe every time I see a video with someone rubbing silver and can often even hear the sound of it go SCRATCH, SCRATCH!
Just think, a coin has been sitting in the ground for 100+ years, sometimes completely undisturbed, only to have someone change it's condition significantly in a couple of seconds!
Cheers,
Dave.

Thanks Dave. How do you go about cleaning them once home?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never "field clean" any coin that could be a valuable collector specimen. Silver and gold are very soft and easily scratched by rubbing the dirt off it. But not all silver coins are valuable. IF I can see I have dug a silver Roosevelt I will rub it clean to see that date. Mercs or earlier coins I leave until I can let water remove the dirt. Wheats, I don't worry about, but Indians I leave for later.

One thing I have found with the copper and bronze coins over the years. If you let them dry with dirt on them, they can become VERY hard to clean. The thing you can do when recovering old coins it to keep a small container with some a tissue or sponge and some water in the bottom. Keep it damp, or wet and it will clean so much easier back home.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my coins in a case while hunting and this is what they look like when I get home..........

P1090535.JPG

P1110003.JPG

I run the water in my sink over the coins until the clumps dissolve and then lightly rub the coin with my finger still under running water.

I have various techniques for cleaning coins but all of what I clean starts with rinsing with water and then I take it from there.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any oil penetrates through and under dirt and 'soaks into' a metal surface. I use olive oil as it is organic and is less likely to leave a chemical odor to the coin. Olive oil is also less likely to cause a coin to flake its surface off after sitting in it. Industrial strength penetrating oil on the other hand will penetrate under surface corrosion and will lift the corrosion leaving the surface of the coin pitted.

I'm in northern Cali in Fremont. I plan on starting coin hunting soon with my XLT. Due to surgeries I expect to be doing only coin hunting through 2013 and into June of 2014. I am hopeful that by mid July of 2014 I will have recovered completely from the surgeries and will have rejuvenated myself enough for it to be safe for me to go backpacking/prospecting and maybe get in some trout fishing..........63bkpkr

Being out in the mountains along a river is where I am truly free!

180_8044.JPG 180_8056.JPG 182_8211.JPG 183_8326.JPG 184_8444.JPG

Last edited:

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found with dug coins whether silver or bronze is to get them out of the air as quickly as possible. I used to carry a sealed jar of olive oil and drop the coins straight in, without any cleaning or wiping and then gently clean them off with a toothbrush later. An archaeologist advised me that it was better to just use water with a small amount of detergent and I found that this works just as well. As far as cleaning coins, especially bronze coins goes, I've tried dozens, using various means and never succeeded in improving the look of the coin beyond the original light scrubbing in soapy water with a toothbrush.

OP
OP
Carla705

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing the information.
I hope someday to have something to clean.:occasion18:

~C~

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the way i look at it its your coin do with it as you please if you wanna rub it then rub it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread