Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
• Jan 9, 2024
To tip or not to tip? People we spoke with say they've had enough.

This Left me Confused . the one woman said "Self- Checkout, I Don't tip on" :dontknow:
no way can there be a Tip at "Self- Checkout" on this Planet :BangHead:
I Don't, & Wont use Self- Checkout without an Employee Discount :icon_thumright:

another Claimed McDonalds ? Wanted them to Tip ?
Is this a West Coast/East coast Piracy thing ?

I only came across one Restaurant Who Added a Tip to the Price , & This was Maybe 30 Years ago :o & To their detriment ! I Would have left 3 times as Much on the Table, but took it back when they added a mandatory tip to My Bill !
I Never Darkened their door Again .

I used to tip $5.00 for a $1.00 Bottomless Cup of Coffee at the Truck stop.
Pretty, Friendly & Attentive Waitress's always got a bonus.

I Guess I Have to Start Reading my Receipts more Closely :o

I Tip for a Hair-cut & At real Restaurants that have waitresses
that's it I Think :coffee2:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some places I Used to Frequent used a Community tip Cup :(
I Didn't like that Either. lazy, Rude Or just plain Disgusting Girl
got the same amount of tips at the end of the day. No reason the Excel at their jobs !

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
some places I Used to Frequent used a Community tip Cup :(
I Didn't like that Either. lazy, Rude Or just plain Disgusting Girl
got the same amount of tips at the end of the day. No reason the Excel at their jobs !
Absolutely agree, I know a few places that either "shared" tips so the obnoxious girl that everyone hated for as much tips as the girl who earned 80% of the tips total amount

Also another place that would take the tips from the waiters

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was curious on that. at the Place that Automatically added tips, did the Cash Register Person, the Cook, & The Management and after hours bathroom cleaner also Share in the days tips, along with the
earnings tax people , when they got their Check at the end of the week ? :(

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I share tips with 6 other people at my place of employment…..
Added 11K to my income. Sucks that it’s taxed, but I’ll never complain.
I love my job.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
most restaurants by me automatically add a tip/gratuity for parties of 8 or more.

my wife and I always tip unless the service is extremely bad. we were tipping 20% when the norm was 15%, and we got the extra attention too.

we went to a restaurant a few years back and the food was terrible but they were busy so I choked it down. we wiped and left but have never been back since.

we also tip and then add $20 or $50 at xmass to those servers in our town which we have known a long time.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Reason I Got When I Complained . The Waitress had an Unruly Table full like that 8 or so & After, they either Didn't leave a tip Or gave her a Pittance .
I still felt I Should not have been Compared to Them.
Especially when it was Just Me and My Girl & I was willing to leave a $20 for probably a $20 meal

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only been 2 times to a restaurant since the CV, one was a pickup at Bob Evens first thing that popped up on payment was a 15% tip, for a pickup, I declined, The other was a rural bar eatery good service and food didnt mind tipping.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I always felt tipping was total con job. No tip should not be mandatory. 15% is tax in disguise.

Good service should be the norm regardless of a tip of not. It not an entitlement. staff should be paid a living wage to begin with and should not be there face shaming fleecing customers for tips.

To me its become a embarrassing form of begging from customers? Tipping should of died out in Charles Dickens the 19th century.

That said if I think some has gone above and beyond expectations I will leave a tip. But for not just going through the motions of doing their job and giving a tip for tips sake.

Crow

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good service should be the norm regardless of a tip of not. It not an entitlement. staff should be paid a living wage to begin with and should not be there face shaming fleecing customers for tips.
I agree. However at least some years ago, it was common practice for some employers to pay *less* than minimum wage, assuming you would make up the difference in tips. I don’t know if they still do that, and it’s a crappy practice IMO anyway.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally over tip when I receive acceptable service. I have left 3 Pennie’s before too for poor or rude service.
I Left a Melted ice cream Mess all over the counter & I think a Few cents or was it a Dollar Soaking in it ??? in the mess once due to the Waitress Flirting with the Trucker Beside me and being too Busy to Refresh My Coffee :laughing7:
I Hoped he was Tipping Good. If I Remember Right she was a Newbie & Was fired the same week :coffee2:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally over tip when I receive acceptable service. I have left 3 Pennie’s before too for poor or rude service.
No need to give me the angry face, bucko…
You have no idea what I do….

Dejure

Nov 30, 2023
Gotta love the absurdity of those several places I've been where you pay before you get your meal and they have a place to tip. I presume they are ignoring what a tip is for (good service), because I cannot guess how I'll be treated.

Gotta love fast food places that expect a tip for handing you your food across the counter. How about I come around the counter, build my own sandwich and forego the tip.

THEN there is the $17.00/hour thing. WHY should I pay a tip if you are being paid an hourly wage comparable to what the clerks, common laborers and so on are getting just because you serve food?

Oh, and if you own the business, NO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread