d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today Find - don't hunt historic areas or get busted

Had my first run in with the authorities. Hunted around the perimeter of an old fort here in West Texas. While hunting around the Fort, I was approached by a park ranger who told me that if I did not stop hunting but I would receive a ticket. I had already found several coins by that point, and I asked him if I needed to give him back but he told me I could keep them. Oh well.

Upvote 5

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my YES! MUCH better to leave the historic items IN the ground! So they can completely deteriorate correctly. By all means!

(and or, make sure of their own virgin ground to hunt at night when nobody's around.)

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ONLY A ARCHEOLOGISTS HAVE THE APPROVED RITES TO REMOVE ARTIFACTS THAT A SELECT FEW WILL EVER SEE . AT LEAST THE LONE RANGER DIDNT GO POSTAL ON YOU , AND THAT YOU KEEP WHAT U FOUND IS COOL ...

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hunt around fort sites as long as you are on private property and have permission, stay off state park land.

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes, you could've gotten fined easily, your lucky

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whew! You got LUCKY! :occasion14:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was told today that the trustee's of an 18th century church have denied my detecting request. They want it done by archeologists. Like that's ever gonna happen

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have quite a few historic sites in NYC. Some are patrolled by The National Park Service. If I don't have permission I don't hunt those areas.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a run in with a Tonto Forest Official several years ago in Arizona while detecting an old ghost town. He said I was not allowed to do so, but the week before our whole treasure hunting club had an outing there with no problems. Go figure. Our club has been back there several times since that encounter.
Had my first run in with the authorities. Hunted around the perimeter of an old fort here in West Texas. While hunting around the Fort, I was approached by a park ranger who told me that if I did not stop hunting but I would receive a ticket. I had already found several coins by that point, and I asked him if I needed to give him back but he told me I could keep them. Oh well.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a run in with a Tonto Forest Official several years ago in Arizona while detecting an old ghost town. He said I was not allowed to do so, but the week before our whole treasure hunting club had an outing there with no problems. Go figure. Our club has been back there several times since that encounter.

For some reason many places that are open to specific clubs will not allow individuals. Must be the " additional training " clubs require lol.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lets just tell them that I'm an archaeologist.

Just wear one of my T-shirts... :laughing7:

11002649_453310888154777_7490729358484167806_n.jpg

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what better place for artifacts than the pockets of ethical politicians and their donors. do not DISTURB the soil, leave that to the wildlife. ALL SAID WITH SARCASM!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was told today that the trustee's of an 18th century church have denied my detecting request. They want it done by archeologists. Like that's ever gonna happen

Thats why its best to work with Archies. I know it helps me.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I was on the cross country track team in high school, when I see the ranger, I take off running!

Come on, you people know that I am just kidding...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What is the Def, of "Around the Fort".?
IMO If I had Permission to hunt the area ,I 'Likely' would have told the Park Ranger to BUZZ OFF!
Also IMO If the Coins you found were not regular Clad coins, asking if he if you needed to give them back is (to be Kind) not Logical "IMO". He likely would have kept them for Himself.
You have good Morals but don't be a ignorant of your RIGHTS.
Best of luck in the future.
Not trying to be rude really, Just Stand your Ground when in the 'Right'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions