d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today Find - don't hunt historic areas or get busted

Had my first run in with the authorities. Hunted around the perimeter of an old fort here in West Texas. While hunting around the Fort, I was approached by a park ranger who told me that if I did not stop hunting but I would receive a ticket. I had already found several coins by that point, and I asked him if I needed to give him back but he told me I could keep them. Oh well.

Upvote 5

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wear one of my T-shirts... :laughing7:

11002649_453310888154777_7490729358484167806_n.jpg

I would absolutely rock one of those shirt!

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, like other members said, the self righteous archaeologists would rather have everything rot in the ground instead of us finding, sharing, and enjoying it.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, like other members said, the self righteous archaeologists would rather have everything rot in the ground instead of us finding, sharing, and enjoying it.

I don't think it is that so much as it is their fear that one of the uneducated idiots out there swinging a detector that leave their trash and unfilled holes might destroy something in their haste of digging because they are afraid of being caught on a site without permission.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still would like to know if the OP Had permission (Written and all) to hunt where he Was.
&
How Close he / She was to the Property Line.

Perses

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites TRX bullseye Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For some reason many places that are open to specific clubs will not allow individuals. Must be the " additional training " clubs require lol.

Its not the additional training that they require, its a General Liability insurance policy they are looking for. If you dig a hole and sprain your ankle, and figure to sue them they are on the hook for it, if you have insurance covering you they wont have an issue.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if a detectorist can't find other amazing places to hunt besides park land, then they should probably put down the detector and walk away from the hobby. Not worth getting riled up about. Go hunt somewhere else. The OP is lucky he didn't get a ticket. Or charged with a felony and his detector confiscated. I thought it was common sense to stay off park land!

Cheers,

Buck

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still would like to know if the OP Had permission (Written and all) to hunt where he Was.
&
How Close he / She was to the Property Line.

Ill take it Since the OP has not answered my Questions (not that he/She has to, but it would be nice) that He or She WAS on Park, Fort or Gov, Property. & If so as they say "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". & lucky they were not Arrested .
IMO A ticket would have been the easy way out.
Then again it's the OP's choice to break the law or not....but is Getting a Felony & Big Fines worth the Crusty IH's , or Splattered Round or Minnie Ball one Might??? dig.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can I get one of those t-shirts...

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Run-ins will happen, unfortunately.
They are just doing their jobs, whether they really believe in the laws entirely, they have to be the "responsible one",
and keep their jobs...!
Too bad they just don't sign you up as a volunteer, and get you to record and collect what you find. Since most objects will be near surface,
and the stuff they get will be the needed info, for their overall historic "picture" of the fort's past , and hopefully, that stuff will be put on display for everyone
to enjoy...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread