Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today on eBay I scored a lot containing an 1899 Barber half, 1899 Barber quarter, and a vial of 24 kt gold flakes for $11 + S&H.

Yesterday I got an 1843 LC w/ small letters in G-VG condition for $6, free S&H.

Two days before that, for $21 + S&H, I scored a lot of 21 Indian Head cents which included an 1857 Flying Eagle and an 1871 IHC.

Kinda figuring on doubling my money here at the very least, and the LC is going into my collection. I'll never understand why people don't do better market research before they sell something, but as long as it works to my advantage I don't think I'll ever complain. This is the best "hunting" I can do with a foot+ of snow on my MDing grounds :icon_thumleft: :3coins:

Upvote 6

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How fun. We had a half foot of snow yesterday and almost gone today. Treasure is where you find it. I am ready to do some digging myself.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a good score. That's the most fun you could have with your metal detector in PARK.

HH
MariposaGold

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! Anything to keep from climbing the walls! And some people don't think we have an addition to MD'ing! Lol!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you. I buy a lot of coins on EBay myself but haven't done THAT well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deals are sometimes had on ebay. As TNmountains said treasure is where you find it.

These days much of the stuff on ebay are not true auctions anymore, BIN, or high start price, I've seen a lot of the same stuff listed for months if not years.

It's been my experience as a seller that you "often" do the best with a low start price as you get the most people "interested" And then it only takes two to get "auction fever". That said it's also a crap shoot, and you could wind up with a poor result, or a "good buy" depending on which side of the coin you're on.

Still I always start my auctions at an attractive price, and I've def. got a few deals myself. I do really wish it was more of a true auction site, with so many Buy it nows, it's more of a shopping channel, but I still shop pretty regularly.

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Well said Rick, lots of useful information, I definitely agree with seeing the shift towards more Buy It Now options and like you I've seen many items that have been for sale for a very long time.

I would probably be considered a middle volume rebayer by many standards. I'm in school still so I work hard to educate myself and make smart purchases that I can turn around and get a quick profit as opposed to paying attention to the market and investing in coins that rise in value >10%/year although in the past I've done that as well.

My purchases for January 2014 were low at $337.
My sales from those purchases (minus ~30 coins I have yet to sell) are so far $428 + a 5oz .999+ silver round I am holding onto and a very nice 1895-O Barber half dollar I am adding to my collection as well.

My best recent purchase was 10 Liberty Nickels from an Australian guy for a BIN price of $50, his pictures were blurry but I thought there was still some good luster to be seen on them and took the dive for a total price of $65 once shipping was added. Low and behold they came in a couple of weeks later and all looked fantastic, I was so happy his pictures were blurry so people couldn't see how beautiful the coins were, they are sold from $20-85/coin and my total sales for all 10 was a tad bit over $350.

An antique store near me had a jar of V nickels for 50cents/each and I pulled out a F+ 1894 that I turned around and sold on ebay for $50 exactly, I thought that was quite fitting.

I have a very strict buying and selling code I stick to, most of the time it's spot on the money but I still get burned from time to time. This past month in fact I was misled by a bad description that was confusing on the amount of coins being sold and I paid $29 for a coin that I will likely have to wait 5+ years to break even on. Such is life, and as was said before, treasure is truly where you find it!

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well said Rick, lots of useful information, I definitely agree with seeing the shift towards more Buy It Now options and like you I've seen many items that have been for sale for a very long time.

I would probably be considered a middle volume rebayer by many standards. I'm in school still so I work hard to educate myself and make smart purchases that I can turn around and get a quick profit as opposed to paying attention to the market and investing in coins that rise in value >10%/year although in the past I've done that as well.

My purchases for January 2014 were low at $337.
My sales from those purchases (minus ~30 coins I have yet to sell) are so far $428 + a 5oz .999+ silver round I am holding onto and a very nice 1895-O Barber half dollar I am adding to my collection as well.

My best recent purchase was 10 Liberty Nickels from an Australian guy for a BIN price of $50, his pictures were blurry but I thought there was still some good luster to be seen on them and took the dive for a total price of $65 once shipping was added. Low and behold they came in a couple of weeks later and all looked fantastic, I was so happy his pictures were blurry so people couldn't see how beautiful the coins were, they are sold from $20-85/coin and my total sales for all 10 was a tad bit over $350.

An antique store near me had a jar of V nickels for 50cents/each and I pulled out a F+ 1894 that I turned around and sold on ebay for $50 exactly, I thought that was quite fitting.

I have a very strict buying and selling code I stick to, most of the time it's spot on the money but I still get burned from time to time. This past month in fact I was misled by a bad description that was confusing on the amount of coins being sold and I paid $29 for a coin that I will likely have to wait 5+ years to break even on. Such is life, and as was said before, treasure is truly where you find it!

I'd love to compare notes with you sometime about how you rate your risks. I'm still pretty new at "reBaying" and only really pounce on the obvious deals.

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Shouldn't be a problem, they're very easy and straightforward plus I believe there should be around 3 types of coins you truly consider yourself an expert at evaluating, mine is liberty Nickels, half dimes and three cent pieces.

Something that can help you out as a seller is SEO (Search Engine Optimization), there are plenty of online articles about it. I learned SEO so my website could get to the top of Google searches but the same thing works for selling on ebay.
For example, let's talk about that 1894 Liberty Nickel I sold. Many people would put something like "1894 Key Date Liberty Nickel in -- Condition!", that's fine and dandy but really from that you'll be getting people who are only looking for 1894 liberty nickels. Rarely will someone include the term 'key date' in there search so that's essentially 2 words in your title you are wasting. My title would look something like, "1894 Liberty V Nickel in -- Condition from a rare, old us coin lot!" So what did I just do? I allowed everyone looking for a 1894 liberty nickel to be able to find it, plus I included V nickel, a common term some people will search instead of Liberty Nickel plus I included terms that the average joes will look up so that anyone looking on ebay for a "rare, or old, us coin" or any combination thereof will find it plus many people love to purchase in lots so I even have that covered. This may seem really simple and it is but think of it, what Rick said was true, is essentially comes down to the bidding frenzy at the end most of the time, how many people do you want in that frenzy? It's simple numbers, I make a profit because I have more views, same goes for my website.

Something else that is very simple yet most people tend to forget when selling is sell your items when people are online. My sales all end either on Saturday or Sunday afternoon, you won't see me selling during a weekday or late at night but I can guarantee you'll see me buying then. Use common sense and set your sales so they'll end during the week when many people are on the computer.

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
(Kinda figuring on doubling my money here at the very least, and the LC is going into my collection. I'll never understand why people don't do better market research before they sell something, but as long as it works to my advantage I don't think I'll ever complain. This is the best "hunting" I can do with a foot+ of snow on my MDing grounds)

In many cases people sell for others on Ebay.Some hit the flea markets and garage sales.To them it's a profit
and win/win situation however it comes out.Now if they actually sold something that say was worth millions and
they found out about it?Ooops.

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buys. I'm sure you'll be able to make a quick profit on them. I recently got a good buy myself: a certified 1921 D Mercury Dime for $25, including shipping. However, that was my dad's Christmas present, so now he has only the 1916 D left.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just one "unintended consequence" with too much--or too finely focused, I should say--ebay buying. If you collect a very specific type of coin as I do (a certain type of Jefferson nickle), you can drive up the price all by yourself by buying it too frequently and/or consistently, (:censored:), whereas if you take a break from time to time, it doesn't seem to effect the price as much. Kind of ironic, actually...

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just one "unintended consequence" with too much--or too finely focused, I should say--ebay buying. If you collect a very specific type of coin as I do (a certain type of Jefferson nickle), you can drive up the price all by yourself by buying it too frequently and/or consistently, (:censored:), whereas if you take a break from time to time, it doesn't seem to effect the price as much. Kind of ironic, actually...

Yes, I could see where one might experience problems from this. You can still have things go your way, especially if you are looking more long term investment, odds are someone will eventually come along and what you collected awhile back will suddenly be hot. An example, about 6-7 years ago I really used to purchase the 1949-S Roosevelt dimes, they weren't exceptionally expensive then, I got my hands on several hundred of them in VF+ condition for less than $2/each, I did so knowing they were going to be more of a long term investment for me. I think they sell for roughly $5/each now, I'm not sure, and I am still going to hold onto them for awhile. You can't beat that investment rate though and I don't believe in letting the money in my bank just sit there.

I was always attracted to the silver coin, that's why I bought silver dimes, to be perfectly honest, what I did is much easier with non-silver items. What I did at the time of purchase was buy a red book that was 10 years older than the one I had at the time, so I had a 2007 and 1997 red book, I looked at the silver coins that were on the upswing and made purchases on coins I could buy large quantities of, I guess you could do the same with expensive, rare coins but I felt I was preventing any possible losses by having a much higher physical weight of silver. I guess I felt that I'd have double my chances of winning, if either silver went up in value or the numismatic value of the coin. Anyway, the red books take into account the fluctuation in silver prices so comparison of say one year to the next may not reflect actual buying frenzies for the coin rather than just an increase in the price of silver. Non-silver coins are much easier to see the climb in value from year to year based solely upon numismatic value. I'll take a 20% CD I make myself than the puny 2% a bank can offer me.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How fun. We had a half foot of snow yesterday and almost gone today. Treasure is where you find it. I am ready to do some digging myself.
It is starting to melt away here too.gotta love nature:icon_pirat:

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I could see where one might experience problems from this. You can still have things go your way, especially if you are looking more long term investment, odds are someone will eventually come along and what you collected awhile back will suddenly be hot. An example, about 6-7 years ago I really used to purchase the 1949-S Roosevelt dimes, they weren't exceptionally expensive then, I got my hands on several hundred of them in VF+ condition for less than $2/each, I did so knowing they were going to be more of a long term investment for me. I think they sell for roughly $5/each now, I'm not sure, and I am still going to hold onto them for awhile. You can't beat that investment rate though and I don't believe in letting the money in my bank just sit there.

I was always attracted to the silver coin, that's why I bought silver dimes, to be perfectly honest, what I did is much easier with non-silver items. What I did at the time of purchase was buy a red book that was 10 years older than the one I had at the time, so I had a 2007 and 1997 red book, I looked at the silver coins that were on the upswing and made purchases on coins I could buy large quantities of, I guess you could do the same with expensive, rare coins but I felt I was preventing any possible losses by having a much higher physical weight of silver. I guess I felt that I'd have double my chances of winning, if either silver went up in value or the numismatic value of the coin. Anyway, the red books take into account the fluctuation in silver prices so comparison of say one year to the next may not reflect actual buying frenzies for the coin rather than just an increase in the price of silver. Non-silver coins are much easier to see the climb in value from year to year based solely upon numismatic value. I'll take a 20% CD I make myself than the puny 2% a bank can offer me.

Looks like we are taking the same basic approach, you with dimes, me with nickels...

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, I dabble in nickels here and there but usually only pre-1938 nickels, you don't have to worry about me messing with your war nickel business, haha. I already have way too many war nickels that I don't know what to do with. Fortunately, silver is on the upswing so maybe I won't have them for too much longer.

Had several good sales that ended for me yesterday. Bought 2 coins about 17 days ago, was able to put them up in time last Saturday for them to end yesterday. I paid $24.00 for the both of them and sold them individually and together they went for $59.05. Also, bought a package of 32 coins for $33, there were 11 what I would call good ones in the bunch, 10 of which ended yesterday and sold for $68, luckily a single buyer bought 6 of them so I even get to save more on shipping, the other coin out of the 11 I just put up for auction yesterday, don't know what I'm going to do with the other 21 coins, most of them would maybe bring $1 apiece but I'd have to cough up shipping fees for that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread