NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent my day working under a house, which is never any fun (I'm 6'2" and the crawlspace was right around half that) but I did pull some bottles out of the muck. Nothing too special, but there were a couple heart breakers..... The Consumers mineral water bottle is a variation I didn't have, but sadly the top is partly missing, and the cod liver oil bottle would have been nice if it was intact. The rest are pretty run of the mill, except for the two returnable screwcap Cokes..... :icon_scratch: Anyone remember these? Also the big chunk of almost perfectly clear green slag glass which is probably my favorite find of the day. I used to have buckets of the stuff, but I think it's all long gone.

Anyway I'm sore and need to kick my feet up, hope everyone else had a lucky day too!

bottles1.jpg bottles2.jpg bottles4.jpg bottles5.jpg

Upvote 9

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THE COKE BOTTLES AND 7UP REPRESENT WHAT SODA REALLY TASTE LIKE IN ITS DAY...

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottle1.gif
Nice finds Ken! I remember a few but not that "big chunk" - wonder if that is a bottle caught in a fire? It will make a great paper weight.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottle1.gif
Nice finds Ken! I remember a few but not that "big chunk" - wonder if that is a bottle caught in a fire? It will make a great paper weight.

We used to pick up pieces like this along the railroad tracks where it was dumped in with the regular ballast. as I remember it came from glass companies cleaning out their crucibles and was just basically a waste product. It came in a lot of colors from clear to green to cobalt blue and dark purple A lot of it would have a bubbly almost lava looking crust on it or a lot of cloudy inclusions. My Grandmother always laid claim to the best pieces we found and they ended up on the window sills.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's a large range of years on the bottles. Keep looking, there may be more

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember as a kid, riding my bike all over town picking those bottles out of ditches and sides of the roads and hauling them to the nearest 7-11 for my cash payoff. Sometimes I would find the larger size that I think paid 20 cents each.....one of my early forms of treasure hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread