HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Colonial Water Trip Yields a coin I've never found & a heart attack

I managed to sneak out for another couple of hours today to the old watering hole and as usual, I was not disappointed. The day started off a bit slow and as with last time, the conditions were just not perfect. That being said, I made the best of it and kept poking around. I started off at the "buck shot hole" that Beau and I dug last time and after a small handful, I decided to move on to bigger and better targets.

A bullet here and a flat button there had me thinking that the day was not going to add up to much and that my coin streak from this site would be broken. Then the heart attack - I finally had what I knew was a decent target when a large and what appeared to be silver coin was staring back at me. This one had a BIG cross and crude edging. I immediately began to think it was an early coin until I flipped it over to reveal its true self, an early and cool lead seal. Still happy with it, but my blood was pumping.

I spent the rest of the day poking around and digging iffy signals and towards the end of the trip I heard a slight squeak and it was deep. After about 5 minutes of fanning and clawing away at the clay bottom, out popped a silver coin. A 1737 Louis XV d'ecu silver! This one is a is a Nantes mint (marked "T") and certainly a coin that I have not dug before. I am very pleased with it indeed. I am sure it is more common across the pond, but I have not really seen one dug at any colonial site that I've poked around at over the years.

This site continues to be fun to dig as there are plenty of targets that reveal interesting bits of history, from lead shot (of all sizes) to homemade sinkers and net weights. There is a good amount of iron and other items from period nails to odds and ends that mask plenty of targets there.

My take for the day on this trip was the coin (it cleaned up real nice after a quick clean), the lead seal, 4 buttons (including a nice and complete vented button), the ornate brass leather piece, broken shoe buckles, 24 balls/shot of various sizes (6 being larger and one hammered down). The folded rat-tail spoon dish might go to the stem I dug last trip.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 207
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    413.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    425.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    388.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    474.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    944.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    639.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    371.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    533.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    698.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 1q.JPG
    1q.JPG
    434.3 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 31

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer finds there…found a similar button like yours from an early french site here….

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh, Lawwd! AT Gold? What do the deep signals sound like? I am just curious because I haven't dug anything too deep yet.

Kirk

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man oh man, that's a killer coin. Would love to dig a colonial French silver like that down here in Louisiane!

-Buck

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an awesome coin Dan, and of course I'm jealous since I don't have one in my collection, yet:wink:. And that lead seal must have been a real bummer as it must have looked like the real deal when you pulled it from the muck. Didn't you dig a pistareen look-alike seal last winter? And those early rose head nails are always a good sign as you know the area had 17th century activity. Looks like you and the snakes had a fun day.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin and super hunt ! :thumbsup:

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats on the early silver and the other finds, a real nice day of digging :thumbsup:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great looking coin Dan. I can see why you thought that seal was a coin. Still a great find but I would have been a lil bit disappointed as well

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, Lawwd! AT Gold? What do the deep signals sound like? I am just curious because I haven't dug anything too deep yet.

Kirk

Can't give all the secrets away ha ha. Seriously, it is a softer tone and the VDI is less than what it will read, other than that there is no distinction. that coin read 40-45 and was about 10" but as I fanned more it read as high as 72-75

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one, Dan! Even though it wasn't a coin, that lead seal is awesome too! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome coin Dan, and of course I'm jealous since I don't have one in my collection, yet:wink:. And that lead seal must have been a real bummer as it must have looked like the real deal when you pulled it from the muck. Didn't you dig a pistareen look-alike seal last winter? And those early rose head nails are always a good sign as you know the area had 17th century activity. Looks like you and the snakes had a fun day.

Ha ha "YET," I see how it is. Just let me enjoy it for a little while Mr. Balitmore... ;)

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great looking coin Dan. I can see why you thought that seal was a coin. Still a great find but I would have been a lil bit disappointed as well
yea man - the more I see it though the more I like it...just had me going for a few. The other coin made up for it.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting