HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Colonial Water Trip Yields a coin I've never found & a heart attack

I managed to sneak out for another couple of hours today to the old watering hole and as usual, I was not disappointed. The day started off a bit slow and as with last time, the conditions were just not perfect. That being said, I made the best of it and kept poking around. I started off at the "buck shot hole" that Beau and I dug last time and after a small handful, I decided to move on to bigger and better targets.

A bullet here and a flat button there had me thinking that the day was not going to add up to much and that my coin streak from this site would be broken. Then the heart attack - I finally had what I knew was a decent target when a large and what appeared to be silver coin was staring back at me. This one had a BIG cross and crude edging. I immediately began to think it was an early coin until I flipped it over to reveal its true self, an early and cool lead seal. Still happy with it, but my blood was pumping.

I spent the rest of the day poking around and digging iffy signals and towards the end of the trip I heard a slight squeak and it was deep. After about 5 minutes of fanning and clawing away at the clay bottom, out popped a silver coin. A 1737 Louis XV d'ecu silver! This one is a is a Nantes mint (marked "T") and certainly a coin that I have not dug before. I am very pleased with it indeed. I am sure it is more common across the pond, but I have not really seen one dug at any colonial site that I've poked around at over the years.

This site continues to be fun to dig as there are plenty of targets that reveal interesting bits of history, from lead shot (of all sizes) to homemade sinkers and net weights. There is a good amount of iron and other items from period nails to odds and ends that mask plenty of targets there.

My take for the day on this trip was the coin (it cleaned up real nice after a quick clean), the lead seal, 4 buttons (including a nice and complete vented button), the ornate brass leather piece, broken shoe buckles, 24 balls/shot of various sizes (6 being larger and one hammered down). The folded rat-tail spoon dish might go to the stem I dug last trip.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 207
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    413.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    425.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    388.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    474.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    944.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    639.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    371.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    533.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    698.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 1q.JPG
    1q.JPG
    434.3 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 31

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking silver!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those silver are high on the wish list to those who dig up here.... or they should be! I like the seal too.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks to be a great site to hunt and a Very successful day...Congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic hunt! Congratulations on the most interesting finds!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking coin and the seal is very cool, and the little gold coloured mount is really a nice find as well. It really adds up to a great hunt for sure, congrats.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking coin and the seal is very cool, and the little gold coloured mount is really a nice find as well. It really adds up to a great hunt for sure, congrats.

Thanks man, I have dug a pile of brass from this spot and most of it comes out looking just beautiful!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that little silver is remarkable, what a find!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is your time of year Dan! That French silver is a great find as are all of the other finds. I look forward to seeing your water finds this summer. Stay safe out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions