Todays Find.... Black Bear!!!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Today's Find.... Black Bear!!!

I was scouting out an area that has a bunch of big stacked stone walls.. thinking there has to be a cellar hole someplace... well... I put my machine down and climbed up on top of a big rock..10' or so.. to look around.. and about 30' to 35' down the mountain from me was a Black Bear!! we have seen prints.. and other people have seen then.. but i had not... I didn't smell him and he didn't smell me because we both jumped!!! So.. I fired three shots into a big oak tree about 10' away and by mutual consent he decided to go one way while I went the other!!! I always have my Nikon D200 in the jeep but it was way to far away to even try to get a shot.. plus.. well.. he surprised the heck out of me!! Needless to say... the digging was over for the day!!! They look a lot bigger in the wild then they do at the zoo... and a 9MM seems really... really small at that point too!!!!

MB

Upvote 0
P

pippinwhitepaws

Re: Today's Find.... Black Bear!!!

:sign10:

glad neither of you were injured.

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

pippinwhitepaws said:
:sign10:

glad neither of you were injured.

Me too!! I would not have shot him.. unless there was no other choice.. I'm just glad I was alone... didn't have my two boys with me!!!!

Bad day to take the compact 9MM versus the P226 with a couple extra 15 round mags!!!! ;-)

MB

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What...no photos?

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional

WOW! GREAT FIND!!
Good thing he didn't find you!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

So who jumped higher, you or the bear? LOL, glad it turned out good for the both of you.

HH Charlie

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Lol watch out the are some mean SOB's!

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550

One thing about it if you could have smelled him you would have been to close.
But, laying all the jokes aside they are scared of you as you are of them,unless they
are wounded or a mother with young.But really the best thing to do is run baby run, and
live to see another day.They are amazing animals just to see.
One you will always remember :thumbsup:

fortbball9

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You always carry a pistol metal detecting ??? Not saying it's bad or anything, just wondered. I could see why you would if you have that kind of company around ::)

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer

MonkeyBoy said:
I was scouting out an area that has a bunch of big stacked stone walls.. thinking there has to be a cellar hole someplace... well... I put my machine down and climbed up on top of a big rock..10' or so.. to look around.. and about 30' to 35' down the mountain from me was a Black Bear!! we have seen prints.. and other people have seen then.. but i had not... I didn't smell him and he didn't smell me because we both jumped!!! So.. I fired three shots into a big oak tree about 10' away and by mutual consent he decided to go one way while I went the other!!! I always have my Nikon D200 in the jeep but it was way to far away to even try to get a shot.. plus.. well.. he surprised the heck out of me!! Needless to say... the digging was over for the day!!! They look a lot bigger in the wild then they do at the zoo... and a 9MM seems really... really small at that point too!!!!

MB

Ah yes.. Nature's own fitness regime... Fight or Flight reflex... quickening of the heart, tightening of the chest.. loosening of the bowels.. hence the ol' phrase " I was a S#@ttn' and a Gittin' !" had it been me I'm quite confident that I could have outrun the bear if he had opted to chase.. he'd have had a slippery trail to follow after all <laughing>
Sad about the poor oak tree though. I'd have opted to shoot the ground, but your instincts were right. LOUD NOISE and then a tactical withdrawl... Too bad about the camera not being handy. It's not too often that you get the drop on a bear in the woods. I'll be his eyes were as big with surprise as your's were! <grin> Better luck next time with the hunt (metal detecting). Watch out for Smokey or Yogi or BooBoo out there though. <grin>

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Needless to say... the digging was over for the day!!!

The day would have required one more hole for me to dig - to bury my soiled shorts.

Glad everyone is OK - including the bear.

DCMatt

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

High%20Five! (4).jpg
All I wanted to do is to give you a high five! :tongue3:

Attachments

• High%20Five! (4).jpg
    High%20Five! (4).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 432

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just hand the bear a metal detector and see what he could do with it...maybe a new dirt-fishing buddy...HH another day!!

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector

Nice finds

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a large amount of bear in my woods, moose, deer, bobcats, mt. lions, and other venemous creatures. Bear will normally scatter when you throw your arms up at em. Moose will just mosey along, deer will smell you long before you know they are even remotely close, bobcats are elusive, and for the Mt. lion. Good luck. The ticks here are my main concern.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions