Todays Finds: CANNONS, Coppas, and Eagle Is

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Finds: CANNONS, Coppas, and Eagle I's

Well, as I woke up this morning I was debating on whether I would go metal detecting or go fishing?? ??? :icon_scratch: HMMM But, my metal detecting urge was getting the better of me and I was wanting to get the monkey off my back :munky2: :munky2: ;D ;D :wink: So DIRT FISHING it was :hello2: A buddy of mine called and said that he was wanting to go detecting as well so we decided on a few spots that we hadn't hit before to any great extent. :wink:. As we were heading to the spots, we came upon a nice new field that was being graded for future construction. This field just so happened to sit on one of the two main roads that the Confederate and Union Armies used during their marches up the Peninsula. Well, we stopped, jumped out and began detecting. The heat was blazing :icon_sunny:but I sucked it up and put the coil to the dirt :wink: :wink: Well, after detecting this little corner in the field for about 2 minutes I got a very strong signal on the ole MXT +75. So, I stuck my buddy, the Predator, into the ground and dug out a plug and to my surprise this little buddy popped out My Pictures 055.jpg
A model Cannon!! :D It may be a Civil War Era casting but more than likely, is probably a Colonial piece as it was on a colonial homesite. So that got the blood pumping after only two minutes with the coil to the dirt. Then back to back, I dug two Very early colonial buttons, another 1600s "Nipple" button and a small colonial flower button. So I was pretty happy with this spot and went on to dig a couple other keepers from it within the following 30 minutes :thumbsup:

We then packed it up and was off to our original destination that we were headed before we were taken off course by the "spirit" of the hunt :D :D ;D :wink: :) Once we got to this spot, my buddy and I hopped out of the truck. We were parked in a field within the woods in which ran the old Hampton Road that ran from the lower Peninsula all the way up to Richmond. This road as stated above, was one of two main routes used during the Peninsula Campaign by the two armies. :wink: :wink: Well, there was no time for slackin :sleepy2: so we went to work. He took one side of the road, and I took the other. We had been da-tect-ing ;D :wink: for about 10 minutes when I heard this WONDERFULLL sound explode from my headphones and it sounded like heaven. I looked down and swiped my coil and pinpointed this 'thing' and proceeded to dig it out....well it wasn't very deep and when I unloaded that first plug of dirt, I saw this BEAU-T-FUL "I" within a shield...staring back at me! :headbang: Eagle I.JPG :o :D :wink: You guys know what that means: EAGLE I :headbang: :blob1: :icon_cheers: ;D :wink: She is a nice one too, and looks to have been from an overcoat.

Not to be outdone, this beautiful lil COPPA lady from 1830 also wanted to come out and introduce herself to me ;D ;D I DID NOT disappoint, and swept her right up into my arms!!!!
My Pictures 048.jpg
You can see her at the top there! :thumbsup:
And this concluded my Sunday of hunting! I was happy; not alot of quantity but some quality items found and in the short time frame of just a couple hours of hunting. You can see in the picture above some other colonial artifacts such as the piece at bottom that looks like some sort of 'pull' for a piece of furniture, or the piece at top left which is full of golden gilt...haven't cleaned it enough to tell what it is yet though :-\ :wink: :wink:
Well, I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I did/do and will be bringing more for all of my friends on TNet to enjoy, Happy Hunting and KEEP THE PASSION HIGH! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wink:

Sentinel

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Today's Finds: CANNONS, Coppas, and Eagle I's

Awesome dig's Josh....Can't wait for my first "I" Buddy.The little Cannon has to be the icing on the cake though,no telling the age of that puppy!!! :thumbsup: ,You got some awesome spot's down there man.....What's the date of the Lil' Coppa ? Definetley Keep The Passion High my friend :thumbsup:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:
Awesome dig's Josh....Can't wait for my first "I" Buddy.The little Cannon has to be the icing on the cake though,no telling the age of that puppy!!! :thumbsup: ,You got some awesome spot's down there man.....What's the date of the Lil' Coppa ? Definetley Keep The Passion High my friend :thumbsup:

Hey Joe, it is an 1830 :wink: :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
civilman1 said:

Hey Joe, it is an 1830 :wink: :thumbsup:
SWEET!!!!! :thumbsup:

Missouri Reb

Jun 22, 2008
Re: Today's Finds: CANNONS, Eagle I's, and More

Hi everyone I am new here but all I can say is wow you guys are finding some great civil war relics and I am green with envy.I haven't had the coil to the soil in a good campsite or skirmish area in over a month and seeing your posts I am going nuts.Congratulations on your finds you sure have my blood pumping.
Missouri Reb

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds Sentinel :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That was one fine hunt.

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Great finds!!!
That Sunday itch certainly got scratched!
Every piece is a worthy find. Congratulations!!!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Neat finds. I like the cannon.
Dman

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Josh,

You have been making me proud, dude! That MXT of yours can't miss a coppa or cob. :wink: :D

You are definitely on top of your game! :thumbsup:

Keep sweeping with John Walter passion! :thumbsup:

Kirk

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Missouri Reb said:
Hi everyone I am new here but all I can say is wow you guys are finding some great civil war relics and I am green with envy.I haven't had the coil to the soil in a good campsite or skirmish area in over a month and seeing your posts I am going nuts.Congratulations on your finds you sure have my blood pumping.
Missouri Reb

Don't worry Missouri Reb, just start putting that coil to the soil and you will be finding some Civil War relics in no time. Missouri is one of the best states to find Civil War relics in so you have a very good opportunity to find you some nice things there! Good luck buddy! :wink: :thumbsup: And WELCOME to TNET :wink:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial KirkPA said:
Josh,

You have been making me proud, dude! That MXT of yours can't miss a coppa or cob. :wink: :D

You are definitely on top of your game! :thumbsup:

Keep sweeping with John Walter passion! :thumbsup:

Kirk

Hey Kirk, where you been at my "Brutha". Good to hear from ya :wink: Yes, I tell you what, that MXT has been on fire lately. It's hard to beat a good old fashion analog Whites!! :wink: :wink: :wink: ;D ;D Thanks Bro for the compliments and you KNOW that I will continue swinging with passion until I cannot swing anymore..maybe in my 90s ;D ;D ;D Also, I don't know about John Walter, but Josh Silva was dang happy about those beautiful coppers that you and Kyle pulled up last weekend!!! Awesome hunting and devotion my friend!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :icon_king:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Re: Civil War Eagle I and other finds!

Great job Sentinal. I love the cannon and button. and a large cent to boot. You must be doing something right. Congrats dude.
Chris

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

The pro from the great state of Virginia is back again, posting loads and loads of suuuuuuper historic relics. As you know, my buddies and I looooooove those coppas, my good buddy!

John Walter: "1830, yup, yup...that's what I am after, yup, yup." :D :thumbsup: John Walter would be very proud of your style, means of excavation, patience in the field, and the finds that you show for us to see. :thumbsup:

You are a great hunter, researcher, and great dude overall, my good friend from VA! :thumbsup: :wink:

Kyle

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like those little cannons, I have a few. Most are broken, so its a nice complete find. I made a wooden holder to display one of mine, so people can see it in its former glory :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MAN OH MAN! You're Killing me!

I don't think you could've PAID me to leave that first field!

That's a great 1830--and of course anytime you find an Eagle with a letter, that's a great day--but now get back out to that first field and dig some COLONIAL COPPERS. :thumbsup:

The cannon is Way Cool. I've never found one, or seen one dug. My mentor from Virginia has been detetcting since the 60's and he has never found one either. That's one Hell of a find. :icon_sunny:

-Buckles

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OUTSTANDING!! Oh take me home to the CW land. :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :sad10:
I congratulate you on some great finds. Hope there is some left when I get over that way.

Burdie

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:

Thanks Civil, you are a most gracious friend!

Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Great job Sentinal. I love the cannon and button. and a large cent to boot. You must be doing something right. Congrats dude.
Chris

Thanks Zeus, I was hoping for the coppa to be a little older but I will take her ;D :wink:

Colonial Zoyboy said:
The pro from the great state of Virginia is back again, posting loads and loads of suuuuuuper historic relics. As you know, my buddies and I looooooove those coppas, my good buddy!

John Walter: "1830, yup, yup...that's what I am after, yup, yup." :D :thumbsup: John Walter would be very proud of your style, means of excavation, patience in the field, and the finds that you show for us to see. :thumbsup:

You are a great hunter, researcher, and great dude overall, my good friend from VA! :thumbsup: :wink:

Kyle

Kyle, thanks for the compliments my friend :thumbsup: :wink: you and the coppa crew aren't doing so bad yourselves! :wink: :wink: Those were some nice takes yesterday my 'Right Honorable gentlemanly" friend!! :wink: :wink:
BuckleBoy said:
MAN OH MAN! You're Killing me!

I don't think you could've PAID me to leave that first field!

That's a great 1830--and of course anytime you find an Eagle with a letter, that's a great day--but now get back out to that first field and dig some COLONIAL COPPERS. :thumbsup:

The cannon is Way Cool. I've never found one, or seen one dug. My mentor from Virginia has been detetcting since the 60's and he has never found one either. That's one Hell of a find. :icon_sunny:

Thanks Buck, I was really enjoying the first field for sure however as we worked our way back there were two other guys working it and it was a small field so we detected the lower left corner and left them with the right side. That's why we continued on but I am very GLAD to have stopped there because that little Cannon is VERY cool and I agree, I have never seen one dug before either so I was pretty shocked when it popped out of the ground. The original spot we were going to was almost within walking distance from this field, maybe a quarter-mile so I knew the diggin would still be good and it did turn out to be! Thanks much for your gracious and kind compliments my friend !!:thumbsup: :wink: :wink:

Burdie said:
OUTSTANDING!! Oh take me home to the CW land. :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :sad10:
I congratulate you on some great finds. Hope there is some left when I get over that way.

Burdie

Don't worry Burdie, you will definitely dig some Civil War relics when you come over to the SouthEast. I know Doug will put you on some good spots!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Josh,
Burdie and I will BOTH be heading up YOUR way, so save some good CW digs for us. :tongue3: ;D
Congrats Big Guy. Great finds. :thumbsup: I'd love to find one of those buttons so I could win the bet with Nick. ;D :wink:
Nice job on the coppa too. :icon_king:
You have had that detector on turbo-boost lately. Way to go.
-Doug-

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Josh,
Burdie and I will BOTH be heading up YOUR way, so save some good CW digs for us. :tongue3: ;D
Congrats Big Guy. Great finds. :thumbsup: I'd love to find one of those buttons so I could win the bet with Nick. ;D :wink:
Nice job on the coppa too. :icon_king:
You have had that detector on turbo-boost lately. Way to go.
-Doug-

;D LOL ;D :wink: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions