Todays finds

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Today's finds

Hey guys, I hit a tried and true park today for a couple hours. It looked like rain all morning but no cigar, then the sun came out and with it the kids so I left after it was getting packed. The coolest find of the day is a 1917 Illinois Motor Bicycle liscence tag. I am a bit perplexed, though, because it was right under the roots of the grass and rung up loud and clear like two quarters next to each other (gave two separate tones). Oh well! I also dug a 1939 wheat, a really cool foreign coin that rang up a solid 18 (thought it was a nickel at first), and $8.99 in clad.

I went out and bought a cable for my printer/scanner the other day (finally!), later on I'll scan the tag, and hopefully make it a tradition while posting my finds.

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Re: Today's finds

Nice digs Joe!

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good finds!! That double signal my be the notorious "edge target effect" we've all heard about. I've dug holes to china trying to find something that pinpointed at 6" deep to no avail, even when using a handheld probe to pinpoint. I've heard certain metals as they corode and leach out the iron that you can get a good signal at the edges. Keep up the finds and HH

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Dirty John,

That's the thing. It wasn't an edge target effect. I get those all of the time, this was nothing like that. It was two distinct tones, both the same tone but as if there were two quarters on the surface next to each other. The tag was just under the surface. I'm not putting too much thought into it, though. I'm just glad I found it! Thanks for the reply.

Joe

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used

Here's the motor bicycle tag...

Attachments

• IMG_NEW.jpg
    IMG_NEW.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 157

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Yeah it's beat but it's awesome Joe! Wonder if there's an old city registry somewhere that could id the owner?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool bud :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions