Todays hunt with Hogge scores some nice buttons, KGII, and strangest 2-cent ever.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Today's hunt with Hogge scores some nice buttons, KGII, and strangest 2-cent ever.

I was able to get two hunts in today. A quick morning hunt with a friend of mine on some of his families land and an awesome multiple cellar hole hunt with Hogge. The morning hunt went well, I found a couple buttons, a sterling pin/brooch, and a 1914 Barber Quarter. My friend found a small pewter dog, some wheaties and some buttons.

At noon I met up with Hogge and he took me out to some awesome cellar holes. Right off the bat I found a nice silvered button. Not long after, I found the KGII. I'll post updated pics of the KGII after it sits in some peroxide.

The strangest thing I found was a lead disc with was imprinted on both sides with a 2-cent coin. It's like someone lined up the disc between two 2-cent coins and then hammered their own lead coin. The details are much more crisp than the pictures show. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Found a few more nice buttons to round out the hunt.

Thanks Hogge!

Attachments

• silver1.jpg
    silver1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 126
  • silver2.jpg
    silver2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 2cent1.jpg
    2cent1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 2cent2.jpg
    2cent2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 148
  • button1.jpg
    button1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 137
  • george1.jpg
    george1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 131
  • george2.jpg
    george2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 7

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That lead 2-cent piece whatsit is fascinating. Hope you get an answer. Great finds!

jpmccutc

Apr 19, 2013
Debary, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett pin pointer,vibra tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very unusual reverse 2 Cent disc. It almost looks like they were trying to make a mold?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very nice finds Oxbowbarefoot, the lead is a cool item thats for sure, can you make out the year on it?
ZDD

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we have seen a few imprints of coins in lead but they tend to be unifaced, this is the first 2 sided version I have seen. I think it was for fun, maybe a poker chip.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice recoveries. lead piece is interesting.
I have gotten a nicely detailed impression of an 1868 nickel on a piece of lead sheet, (same date as your 2C?)
A period copy of an 1802 Cent cast in lead. (age was 'authenticated' with XRF analysis of the alloy)
and a lead disc with a Portugese/French style flared end cross struck into it.
Seems that both counterfeiting and just 'playing with coins' were popular back in the day.
Keep at those fields! And thanks for showing :thumbsup:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
OxBow, that lead two-center is a really cool piece! Nice hunt.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool stuff,nice silver,all I got was sunburned!!:laughing7: GodBless Chris

I didn't see you out there Thursday morning. I started over by where I found the Pine Tree. didn't have any luck, so I tried the hay field. Managed a '43 Merc and some buttons. Again, going real slow and running it hot, digging the deep signals. We must have missed a lot of goodies in there when the hay was so high.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the oddball stuff like the lead. Remember before it oxidized it was more of a grey color, so you never know some fool might have figured he could pass it off as a counterfeit... or didn't realize until he was done making it like he did it would come out in reverse. Yes, it sounds dumb, but there's plenty of counterfeit halfpennies where the dies were completely or partly engraved backwards, and that would be much more time consuming, and done by someone who did have some idea what he was doing.... so you never really know what was going on with something like that.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool "2 cent" find. It's not often things like that pop up. Very personable and unique.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was happy to have you with us Jason. I'm very glad at least one of us found a coin. Hopefully getting a new gas tank on Mon...or Tues. Bummer! I don't think I did it on the drive up the hill, but I'm sure it didn't help. How did the Georgie come out??

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. That lead two center is truly unique.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread