Todays ones... Silver Dime, flat button, and a CW Belt Buckle :)

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 16

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, killer buckle!

historygrad09

Feb 17, 2015
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/White's MXT/Teknetics T2 SE/Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! The plate looks like a Model 1851 Sword Belt Plate. I believe that some plates had the wreaths applied to the plate after it was cast, I don't know if they all did that, and yours just fell off at some point which explains why your buckle has areas underneath and beside the eagle that are lighter in color. Hope that helps. Happy hunting!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BE372_Z.jpg

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buckle is sweet! :occasion14:

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! The plate looks like a Model 1851 Sword Belt Plate. I believe that some plates had the wreaths applied to the plate after it was cast, I don't know if they all did that, and yours just fell off at some point which explains why your buckle has areas underneath and beside the eagle that are lighter in color. Hope that helps. Happy hunting!

1851 or 1861? All of the 1861 regulation buckles I find either have a different shield or the wreath or rays extending to the top corners. Im unable to find one thats somewhat plain like this. Heres a better picture with it dry. Still think it had the wreath affixed at some point? The color is pretty constant with the exception of one small spot in the lower right.

Thanks!!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great buckle! They often had silver wreaths on them that deteriorate after time.

historygrad09

Feb 17, 2015
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/White's MXT/Teknetics T2 SE/Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like a Model 1851 design but it could have been manufactured in 1861 and they could have just left the wreath off as it was more ornamental than anything and was a waste of resources. At the outset of the war many of the North's manufacturers could not keep up with demands so often times those buckles would be manufactured by private firms that would sometimes change the design slightly, i.e. the shield might look a little different or sometimes the eagles wings would look like they were over top of the wreath, but they were still the same basic design as the Model 1851. It explains why there can be so many variances between the same pattern buckle. It definitely would have had a wreath on the Model 1851 and most likely the wreath would have been made from nickel and silver. If this one was manufactured during the war then they may have just left it off as stated above. If you go to the website Belt Buckles & Plates - Lookout Mountain Civil War Relics and scroll down to item number 00122 the plate pictured looks, to me anyway, very similar to yours. I won't lie I am not a buckle guy and I don't know a whole lot about them but I do know a little. Hopefully someone with much more expertise can give you a much more definitive answer. Again really nice find and Happy Hunting!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet buckle!! Definitely on my bucket list...

Congrats!!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find . CW era Union Sword Belt plate is on most " want to dig one " lists .

Dawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread