Todays results...and a question

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's results...and a question

Things are looking up. My regular $100 in halves produced a 1966, boo yah!

Question for those who've cashed in halves for the silver value - Do the coin shops (or whoever) care if the coins are dirty? Late last year I found a couple of dozen that have grimy black smudges, and not something that can be easily cleaned off. Does this make a difference when you sell them?

Upvote 0

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Re: Today's results...and a question

I sold my 40% silver halves and I had some that had some dark spots and the coin shop didn't care one bit. Actually, he just counted one of my plastic tubes, and then dumped them all into a plastic container.

Congratulations on the silver. :)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

When you're selling then for silver value, thats what you'll get less a handling fee, regardless of what they look like. The coin shop in my town is 10 percent buying or selling either way.

If any of your coins have numismatic value, of course keep them out of the lot... ;)

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II

The local shop here in Vegas doesn't seem to care either. They check for rares, then put them through a counter if you have a ton. The last time I was in, there was yet another person cashing in their silver. She had all 90%, which at that time was going for 5.16 for each face dollar. I don't think they have a handling fee, but I am not sure. Very helpful store though, updates their prices twice a day. This is the store that helped me with my last couple of odd questions without making me feel I was bugging them.

I remember from one of your other posts that you had huge quantities of coins. How much silver?
vegasmtl

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used

Considering silver is around 10 bucks right now, and 90% coins would be 9 bucks dollar face value..... I would say if they gave her 5.16 there is a slight handling fee right there.... LOL! ;)

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My last batch I sold was just under 1000 coin lot of 40%. There were probably 20 in there that were very dark. All they did was look at the date and go on.

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't have a tremendous amount of halves but the prospect of bringing in $XXX and getting roughly triple face value gets more appealing by the day.

Thanks for the replies!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeffro said:
Considering silver is around 10 bucks right now, and 90% coins would be 9 bucks dollar face value..... I would say if they gave her 5.16 there is a slight handling fee right there.... LOL! ;)

Yes, they are 90%, but a half is no where near 1 ounce. He said $5.16 for each face dollar. Two halves = $1 That means $2.58 per half. I was in a shop this week that was selling 90% silver halves for $3.25 each.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used

You are right Bryan, my bad.... musta been a Crown Royal night! :D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeffro said:
You are right Bryan, my bad.... musta been a Crown Royal night! :D

Haha, mr high roller with the crown!

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II

55 cents?!
I will give you .75! ;) LOL. I guess that is why so many shops get a bad rep.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

Paul in WA said:
I have thought about selling my 40%, but the 2 shops here only offer 55 cents each.

Paul

Paul, I received $1.20 for each 40% halve and thought that was a fair price. Since you travel a lot, you should take the halves with you and look up a few coins shops in the telephone book and see what they are paying. I say sell them while silver is high, as it seems the 40% silver are still readily available.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread