Todays the day!!!!!!!!Got me a spanish cob.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I got out to one of my sites today.. It was a very hot day,but when the finds kept turning up i knew i better keep at it.I found the old lock piece after about 4 hours of searching,and then my last find and a good way to end the day . A spanish cob ......I think :-\ its silver for sure :D If anyone has any info on this coin please let me know,it will help me on the history of the site.Thanks and enjoy relicdude :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Picture 138.jpg
    Picture 138.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 964
  • Picture 141.jpg
    Picture 141.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 963
Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...people...this is a cob! It doesn't get much better!

This deserves to be on the banner for sure!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats, now go back and get more goodies because by the looks of what you have you are going to find a lot more. Work small areas and dig any faint singals, or wait for a rain and get out there right after. Also I have found that real early morning when the ground is a little moist you will pick up things you normally wouldn't. Best of Luck I hope I see more.

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
Way to go.. What is the thing at the bottom of
the picture? It looks like it might have a pearl
in it. Jimbob

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I think its some piece of a small box,its all bronze no pearl ,and the lock piece also may have come from the box .Me and my friends have found a great spot...I cant tell you what else was found, but i was in shock :o Thanks for all the nice replies.... The cob has PV on the front ,what does it stand for?

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure but I think its

1/2 R Mexico Philip IV (1621-1665) cob

Weight: 15.8 g (1.02 grams) Diameter: 16.0 mm

Comments: The obverse give the monogram PVS with dots on either side of the superscript V and a quatrefoil below the monogram. The P and S are joined by a line extending from the bottom of the bow of the P through the center of the S. To the right of the P is part of the superscript O in MO, the mintmark for Mexico. The border legend is worn away. On the reverse is a cross with the arms of Castile and Leon. Again the border legend is completely worn away. The shape of the cross with balls at the ends is unique to Mexico City. This specific design was minted by Philip IV (1621-1665)

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love that cob. Looks like you are doing all the good. Keep it up. I'm heading off to Alaska Sunday for a couple of weeks to see if I can find a little gold. May not get rich, but I think I'll have fun.

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Just the coin.........

Attachments

• Picture 145.jpg
    Picture 145.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 739
  • Picture 144.jpg
    Picture 144.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 736
  • Picture 145.jpg
    Picture 145.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 737
  • Picture 144.jpg
    Picture 144.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 727

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
That is one nice piece of old silver!!! I would be on seventh heaven with a find like that. Keep up the good finds and good detectin :thumbsup:!!!!!!!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looking at things in context (together) if their all from the same basic area -- the plate shards are english styleearly 1800's -- the flat buttons also are typical of a early 1800's era -- (england was a big time button maker back then) --I'd love to see the fronts of the buttons and whats on them --- the odd looking item with them "bump" on itmight just be a lockhole cover FOR A LARGER CHEST ---the cover would be on a rivet type peg and it hung down over the keyhole --you pushed it aside to get to the key hole --the cover kept dirt and sand from getting into the lockworks and messing them up . ( uh remember anything that was in a chest behind "lock and key" was "valuible" ---things like coins & jewelry --that coin if found near the lockplate and key hole cover might have "lots of freinds " just waiting for you to find them )--I would hit the spot were you found that lockplate and keyhole cover HARD ,VERY VERY HARD --- an much older silver spanish coin would not be out of place on an early 1800's english "lumber" trade vessel coming to / from florida --nor would english trade goods be out of place on a spanish vessel of that time frame in the area -- I say the wrecks an early 1800's era one ---spanish silver coins stayed moving around in florida for a long long time in florida everyone used them as money english, spanish and even americans -- often they were heavily worn from years of trading around .

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Still on my hit list!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great oldie there! Been quite a while for me but I'm still looking.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Conradulations RELICDUDE on a Superior Spanish wilver :occasion14: :wav: :occasion14:

All the years I've been hunting colonial relics and stuff I've only found 3 cobs. My last cob being a Phiilp IV

I think Txkickergirl nailed it but you may want to put it on the cob forum for added information

AWESOME find bud ...AWESOME !! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread