Todays work "finds"

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Today's work "finds"

Just curious, why did you pull the '66 quarter? Was it proof or AU?

Z

ZumbroKid

Cool, great finds. Keep your eye open.

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro

What's the significance of the 1966 Washington Quarter?

Z

ZumbroKid

I guess it looked special to her. Store tills will have some good coins in them. Keep your eyes open.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

A 1966 Quarter IS forty years old afterall. Starting to get scarce I'm sure. What's special about an 1866 quarter? Special to one doesn't mean that it has to be special to all. :D

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Always check your pocket change! Last week I had a beautiful 1973 Linconl cent, awsome shine and luster still in it. Not worth much but give it 100 yrs! I picked up a nice 1967 40% silver half dollar out of a roll last month too.
I'm always rading my wife's waitressing money!

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Hey, I was just asking! I'm not real familiar with Canadian coins, being so far south. I only see the occasional cent. So the Canadian 1966 is 90% silver, huh? Nice finds! I was washing my car the other day and popped a dollar into the bill changer and out fell an almost perfect Proof Bicentennial Quarter, almost uncirculated, still had all the frosting on it.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Actually from 1953 to 1967 they were .800 Silver and .075 Copper and the Royal Canadian Mint does not specify the other 12.5%...

In 2000 they changed the composition again i believe... anyway, anything made before 1967 is silver :) sorry for the history lesson lol :D

OP
OP
miss_anthrope

miss_anthrope

lol, i actually pulled the quarter because I loved the edge - it's totally worn smooth,that's why it stood out to me. :) the penny was just funky looking.

today's coin of the day was a 1992 ruble. :)

not really a big coin person, if you couldn't tell LOL - i love old farm "junk" as hubby calls it. but working in retail i find a lot of neat-looking coins. (the ruble coin i got today was handed to me as a nickel lol)

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Cool find, i have an uncirculated ruble a waiter at a resturaunt once gave me, forget what country its from...i find more canadian silver than us in change, people dont know that canada made silver till then :)

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I still manage to get the occasional nice coin in change. Over the years, I've gotten many wheaties, and a few silver Rosie and Merc dimes. Just a few months ago, I found a 1998 S proof nickel in change. It's got some small scuffs on it from circulation, but still has that frosty proof sheen to it. Just the othe day I spotted a wheatie in a "give a penny/take a penny bin. I grabbed it, and it turned out to be a 1955, not in bad shape either. When I saw the date, I said a small prayer and checked it for the famous 1955 double die obverse, but no such luck!! Sometimes old folks on a fixed income spend their stash of old coins, or a stolen coin collection ends up in circulation because the crackhead theives don't know or don't care about their value. I even have my 14 year old who works at a burger joint checking the dimes and quaters for that telltale all silver rim without the copper ring. I told her for each one she finds, she gets a top-up card for her prepaid cell phone. THAT gets her attention, lol! ALWAYS check your change!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread