Token Website for ID & $$$ ??

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Token Website for ID & $$$ ??

There is no established market for most tokens like there is for U.S. coins. Older tokens, like the ones that may be found in Rulau's books, tend to have better indications of market value because they have been collected longer, but trade tokens from about 1880 to date were largely ignored until fairly recently. And, the supply/demand picture for tokens is vastly different than for U.S. coins. It is not at all unusual to come up with a trade token that is the first one discovered. If it goes on the market, a price might be established, but that price does not indicate what the next one might bring.

And the research to establish an information base on individual tokens is ongoing. For instance, it is a matter of public record how many of a certain date and mintmark were made of most U.S. coins, and what the current bid/sell prices are for each condition, but no such records exist for tokens. And finding the history of Joe who has a saloon in Buffalo Wallow, Wyoming is a tedious task!

We might be able to point you to references if you'd be a little more specific on the tokens you have.

John in ID

OP
OP
H

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_sunny: RIGHTEOUS J-G-THANX GUYS- tons a au 2 u 2-John :thumbsup:

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2

Hi Hoser John,

I think you're in good hands here with guys like idahotokens. He id'd a token for me just a couple of days ago.

Another excellent resource is Richard Greever's website www.tokencatalog.com/. Richard's id matched idahotokens' to the letter. Ton's of great pics, and categorized by state.

P.S. I live about an hour north of you.

MP

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee

i have knowledge because of a few books i have on coal, lumber tokens. i can help with value of those.
as for identifying mavericks i have a very old dunn bradstreet which lists companys by state. also have a token listing about mavericks.

anybody that wants to join the national scrip collectors association can buy the books. i am a life member. their website is http://www.nationalscripcollectors.com/

more collectors there are the more $$$$ i can get for my common tokens :) then the downside the rarer tokens would be that much more hard to find!!!!

mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions