Tombac button and ???

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I posted a 74th Regiment of (Highland) foot button. That was my first pictured post but I found a couple other interesting things that day too. A few feet away from the Regiment button I found a pewter flowery thing? I have no idea what it is and any help is surely appreciated. After the tide rolled in I decided to go up on dry land (although frozen solid) and try my luck there. About 200 yards from the pewter objects I got an awesome signal. I tried to dig but could only remove a fist sized chunk of frozen earth. I could see something sticking out of the edge but knew I would destroy it if I tried to remove it. So, I just shoved the chunk in my bag and headed home. After it thawed, out popped a tombac button(at least I think it is). Very heavy with copper on one side and I'm thinking brass on the other (I doubt gold but who knows). The last picture is after cleaning with boiling hydrogen peroxide.
017.jpg 019.jpg 014.jpg 013.jpg 026.jpg

Upvote 16

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other item is a drawer pull knob.

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. Congrats!

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other item is a drawer pull knob.
A "drawer pull knob". I'm good with that! Sometimes things are just what they are and not rare/history changing/military/one of a kind finds. This actually is kinda cool too. I bought a tall stand of drawers for my mother years ago from Ikea and it has now come back to me. I always liked the piece, but wanted to change out all the little knobs on the 20 or so small drawers. This will be the first one I will re-purpose just for that! Thanks smokey!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a drawer pull! Its off the top of a lid to an 18th C tobacco box.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful button, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't find an iname but not everything is on the net, I've seen them in books though. They went on an 18th C Pewter casket style tobacco box, very similar to this one;
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/decorative-objects/boxes/18th-c-tobacco-box/id-f_558538/
Well I can see that! It looked a bit small to be a drawer pull (but what do I know) but for the drawer I'm going to re-purpose it for it will work out great! Makes me wonder if there's any relationship between it and the 74th Regiment pewter button I found very close to it? Hmmm...
Thank you!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button I wish some of those wars were fought near me we have some great battle grounds lol looks like an awesome hunting spot

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can see that! It looked a bit small to be a drawer pull (but what do I know) but for the drawer I'm going to re-purpose it for it will work out great! Makes me wonder if there's any relationship between it and the 74th Regiment pewter button I found very close to it? Hmmm...
Thank you!
Similar period, but hard to be sure they are directly connected to the same people.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button I wish some of those wars were fought near me we have some great battle grounds lol looks like an awesome hunting spot
Thanks A2coins (Tommy)! I'm still trying to get more history of this area (I'm kinda new to these parts). I don't think there was much in the way of battles fought here, other than fighting with the local Indians. I think the earlier history was troops and explorers passing on through. There's history back to the 1600s which is really interesting but I can't get too many specifics about it (locations and such). Right now, because everything is frozen, I'm relegated to detecting at low tide on the coast since that area doesn't freeze. I'm just looking for interesting and protected areas where one could beach some boats back in the day. I'm sooo looking forward to getting up on dry land and poking around in the woods.
Congrats to you on your ring return and note! Very nice to return something so personal and yet get something so personal back. Awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread