Tone deafness and frequency discriminators

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure most people have heard of tone deafness--listen to one tone long enough and you start to ignore it. Same thing happen with the frequency discriminators even if you don't consciously hear anything--your body feels it whether you are aware of this or not. I get a nice frequency that works great then it quits working. The best solution is to have another frequency to switch to. I read about someone who said they go through about a half-dozen different ones. That's not a bad idea so you don't get the tone deafness.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Are you telling us that the devices that have a fixed frequency will only work for a short time? Well. I have had a Prospector for 17 years. It still works….So what is your problem?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Tone Deafness" is a condition where a person cannot tell changes in relative pitch.

If you have ever been to a church service with hymns you will note some people cannot carry a tune in a bucket and seem unaware they are sharp or flat of the accompaniment and neighbors - the medical term is "amusia". The equivalent to the ear of color-blindness of the eye.

There are other conditions that cause the ear to become insensitive to certain pitches. Age, prolonged exposure, damage. My father in law was a carpenter and life-time exposure to the various saws and planers made him deaf to certain frequencies.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, tone deafness might not be the right term and i don't know what is the correct term--that's what I always have known it to be, but there is the phenomena where after you hear a tone for so long, you go dumb to it or your brain ignores it. Whatever the case, you don't hear it anymore. I think it was the Marathon Man where they tortured Dustin Hoffman with a dental drill. After a while the guy said the tooth no longer would respond to pain so they had to drill a different tooth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread