Tonights Nickel Box

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
Here are the results. Way above average for me to get this many Pre-1960 Nickels. Too bad NO SILVER. :BangHead:

NO BUFFALOS
1938 x2
1939 x6
1940 x3
1940S x2
1941 x4
1941S x4
1941D x4
NO SILVER WAR NICKELS :'( :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
1946 x2
1946S
1946D
1947S x3
1947D x4
1948 x6
1948S
1948D
1949 x2
1949S x2
1949D x2
1951D
1952S x3
1952S x3
1953S x5
1954S x2
1954D x4
1955D
1956 x2
1956D x2
1957 x3
1957D x4
1958D x8
1959D x6

Upvote 0

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
not a bad box. I find silver in my nickel boxes maybe one every 5-6 boxes if I am lucky. I did find a lot of key dates in my last nickel box though. keep it up and HH

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
"not a bad box. I find silver in my nickel boxes maybe one every 5-6 boxes if I am lucky"

wow - that's strange - I haven't bought a box in a while but of the 4 or 5 boxes I have bought I was averaging about 4 or 5 silver a box. Lately I've just been buying nickel rolls at about 10-25 rolls at a time and it seems I was getting about the same results. But I did buy $40 today but didn't get any silver. I am planning on increasing my volume soon so maybe this will give me a better idea if I've just had some rather consistant luck or if the amount of silver I've been finding is about the average for my area. I might get another box this Fri.

OP
OP
papa1956e9

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
SilverFace said:
not bad - how orten do you find silver? and do you ever find '09's?

Silver is hit and miss, sometimes I get 4 or 5 in a box, sometimes none. I usually like CWRs more, the other day I bought 50-60ish$ in nickels and got 3 silver ones. I almost always get a few 2009 nickels per box.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I got $30fv in nic's today and I got 2 silver (44S & 45S) so my ratio of about 1 silver every $15fv or so seems to continue. This ratio seems rather consistant for me so like I said I'm going to start to increase my volume maybe up to a box a day - that should give me about half a roll of silver a week plus other early dates I might find and '09's which I also keep. I know nic's take longer to search but they don't have as much fv as dimes & half (boxes & bags0) so they don't require as much cash. And I can usually search them fairly fast because there are fewer coins to unroll & roll.Maybe if my score ratio continues I could even increase my volume to 10 boxes a week ($1000fv) that would give me about a roll of silver a week worth about $100 right now and if and when silver prices double again I would be getting about $200 worth of silver a week - just in nic's not to mention any silver halves I will continue to find. I like this hobby.

HH

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
SilverFace said:
I got $30fv in nic's today and I got 2 silver (44S & 45S) so my ratio of about 1 silver every $15fv or so seems to continue. This ratio seems rather consistant for me so like I said I'm going to start to increase my volume maybe up to a box a day - that should give me about half a roll of silver a week plus other early dates I might find and '09's which I also keep. I know nic's take longer to search but they don't have as much fv as dimes & half (boxes & bags0) so they don't require as much cash. And I can usually search them fairly fast because there are fewer coins to unroll & roll.Maybe if my score ratio continues I could even increase my volume to 10 boxes a week ($1000fv) that would give me about a roll of silver a week worth about $100 right now and if and when silver prices double again I would be getting about $200 worth of silver a week - just in nic's not to mention any silver halves I will continue to find. I like this hobby.

HH

trust me.. you will NEVER keep those ratios of 1 silver per $15. it simply won't happen.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
"trust me.. you will NEVER keep those ratios of 1 silver per $15. it simply won't happen. "

Well although I haven't searched nickels in large volume and I haven't kept a precise count, I'd say I've searched several hundred's of rolls off and on over the past couple of years and of the 3 or 4 boxes I bought at different times last year I believe I was averaging about 4 or 5 silver a box and of the smaller buys I've been making since then (about $20fv- $50v at a time) my silver score ratio seems to have remained about the same. But I'll get a better of whether or not this is an accurate score ratio as I increase my volume and keep more precise account of my scores. Maybe I've just been rather consistently lucky over the past couple of years - I don't know. Or maybe my figures are off a little like I said - but if so I don't think by much But I would think the total volume I've done over the past couple of years would be enough to give me an idea of what I can expect to find in average over the long term. But as I increase my volume and keep more precise figures I'll post my scores.

Btw, I just scored a '72 canadian nickel in some rolls I got today. Small score I know but I rarely find any pre-'82 canadian's.

Anyway, HH

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
And I think I meant to say my finds have been about 1 silver for every 10 - 15 rolls not $10-$15fv (even though that was my average from the small amount I bought yesterday). I often screw that up when I type it for some reason and I know there's a significant difference between the two when trying to figure a precise average over the long term but that's what I meant to say. Sorry for the confusion on that.

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
I average about 1 War every box but they vary, sometimes you wear the collar that's just the way it is. My personal high is 8 and that is a factory box as I prefer those over CWR's. I hate to be a bearer of bad tidings but I fear your averages will drop from what you are finding now, I will add that I hope your good luck continues though.Good Luck. Thanks. Dennis.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Silvercrazy said:
I average about 1 War every box but they vary, sometimes you wear the collar that's just the way it is. My personal high is 8 and that is a factory box as I prefer those over CWR's. I hate to be a bearer of bad tidings but I fear your averages will drop from what you are finding now, I will add that I hope your good luck continues though.Good Luck. Thanks. Dennis.

I've been a little confused and disappointed reading some of the silver scores you and others have had with nickels so now I'm really curious to see how I will score with larger volume. As of the Friday I'm going to start increasing my volume and I'll start getting boxes at my bank and at least $20fv each time at other banks I hit throughout the week to check for halves. That's mainly how I get my halves - I just check the different banks where I live to see if the have any. I've only ordered a $500 bag once and I got nothing so I sort of lost interest in that real quick but I guess if you do it that way you have to be persistant and buy in volume.

HH

Ginkawa

Aug 11, 2011
still new, so a slightly silly question... is it just the age that makes the pre-60 nickels worth separating, or...? (other than the silver-bearing ones)

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Ginkawa said:
still new, so a slightly silly question... is it just the age that makes the pre-60 nickels worth separating, or...? (other than the silver-bearing ones)

Yeah, the pre-'60's are a little harder to find in circulation - not as hard as wheat cents but close. Also, in addition to age the mintage figures tend to be a lot lower before 1964 - many dates/mint marks under 10 M - compared to 1964 when they made over a billion at each mint. But in circulated cond. most pre 60 dates still aren't worth much more than face but maybe someday they have a little more collectible value - like common date '40-'58 wheats do.

HH

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont even save the 57-d's, 58-d's or 59-d's......mintage is so high.....never really be worth anything....besides the actual metal value of course.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
cdickrun64 said:
I dont even save the 57-d's, 58-d's or 59-d's......mintage is so high.....never really be worth anything....besides the actual metal value of course.

your right the '60P, '61P, 62P, '67, '68D & S, 69S & '71P actually have lower mintages but many of the other 50's dates have rather low mintage figures which are worth saving.

OP
OP
papa1956e9

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
I just save all pre-1960, trying to fill tubes with a roll of each. All the extras after I save a rolls worth, i just sell in mixed sets online or at coin shops for a little over face.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
"I just save all pre-1960, trying to fill tubes with a roll of each"

That's pretty much what I've been doing too. Though I don't know if I'll ever have score full rolls of the 5 key dates. I just scored my first '38D on Friday and I haven't scored any of the other 4 dates/mintmarks yet. Yet.

HH

OP
OP
papa1956e9

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
Just keep it up man, nickels are awesome. :icon_thumleft: They are cheap and its a great way to get coins from a new bank you don't have an account with. I usually just ask for nickels first, a small amount like $50 or something. Then see if they have any half dollars. I like to use the poker line when they ask what they are for. Did this trick yesterday at a new bank and the lady teller says:
"Do you want the half dollars for the silver? You know that all coins from before 1962 are silver. Most people think that its 1972, but its really 1962 so keep them, they are worth a lot of money." :icon_scratch: :laughing9: :laughing9:
I just said thanks and decided to go back there more often. Even if she runs her mouth about silver too much she is still doesn't know the correct dates and probably has no clue about 40% halves. :icon_thumright:

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
that's one of the great things about halves - most people don't realize that any after '64 are silver - plus they minted so damn many of them - hundreds of millions (esp '67 & '68) - luckily for us

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread