Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up near Mt.Airy, N.C. over the weekend at some friends on the Dan River, just hanging out, watching movies. There were a lot of old farms and houses around but I figured it'd be too complicated to get permission on the spot, so I didn't mention it. Along about 1pm, one of the people we were visiting asked if I brought a metal detector with me. I said "two, actually" The wife of the friend informed me that they were related to all the farm people and they didn't mind if we detected some of the old homes and barns, etc. A lot of these are Civil War era houses. So we started walking and about a quarter of a mile into the walk we came up on an old tobacco barn. I gave one of the guys my Bounty Hunter and I kept the Ace 250. Stuff was beeping all over the place. I dug some, found some harness pieces and a couple of wheat pennies in just a few minutes. I thought I'd hit paydirt! Then the dude's wife, and the actual "family" of the farmers say's "I'm cold!" I said okay let's run on over to one of the old houses in the hollow, maybe the wind won't be so bad." We went to the house and I started getting a lot of penny, nickel and dime beeps all over the place, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. About the time I was kneeling down to dig my first target, the friend's wife spoke up again, "I'm cold, and I'm ready to go NOW!" Thus endeth what could have been a really wonderful afternoon of md'ing. I just didn't think it could get TOO COLD to metal detect.
I hope to get back up there next spring, it seems like it could be a dream spot. It has never been hunted at all, period. It's all that family that owns it, and they don't "take " to strangers. I hope they keep it that way, at least until after I get my chance at it.

HH,
Ramapirate

Upvote 0

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I've lived in Wisconsin for 32 years(except for a couple in TN), I am sorry, I'm not familiar with the term-what was it "too cold"?, is this a verb, of some sort of new participial phrase??? The only thing I know is that when that white s@^t falls from the sky the water gets too HARD to fish, that is a bummer. I don't know, maybe I'll ask some of my friends up here what you're talking about, at least that way, if you're trying to pull one over on me they won't think I'M the idiot. ;D

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She won't take anybody else in, it'll be there when I get back . You have to understand the mindset of these people. They don't like anybody if they don't know them. This isn't Deliverence or anything, a lot of her family are doctors and lawyers. She has her BS from UNCG. They are just clanish. She just wussed out on me and her husband. It was in the upper 40's and the wind was blowing He's already said next time, we're "going up the road to help a fellow change the oil in his tractor!"...problem solved! ;)

HH,
Ramapirate

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like good plan, sure he felt bad.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would make it a solo mission next time. You may have hit paydirt!! Good luck. ;)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Ramapirate my man, if it don't hurt, it ain't THing.

On all my very best hunts there was some pain involved. Such be the nature of treasure hunting BIG time.

Maybe next time you can just go it on your own?

Sounds like a RED HOT site.

Badger

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's when you tell her that there's a Cosmo magazine laying on the car seat, and that the car will be warm in a jiffy. Never too cold for our hobby. Some of my Civil War digs have come to light through snow-covered ground. You should recommend a daily routine of heavy manual labor for her for several consecutive weeks in below-freezing weather. Then she'd be happy to stand idly in the cold and watch LOL.

Buckleboy.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
changed the oil ,tilted a few REEBS(beers, spelled backwards) them detected his home place
when she starts with the 3rd degree ;D

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
snow on the ground slows us down a little fortunately we dont get too much. We detect down to bout 24 degrees as long as it is daylight out, hopefully you will get another shot at those spots next spring
dave+bobbie

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
That sucks she had to play the spoiler for ya. I know for a fact that girls from around there are real sissys when it comes to cold. I hijacked a girl from that was living near Charlotte and brought her up north. Shes a nice yankee girl now but will have nothing to do with any outdoor activities in the winter :/ You stated in your post that you werent expecting to get to hunt at all anyway so at least you got in some recon on some great sites. Too bad you have to wait til spring. There are plenty of nice days in November and it sounds like you almost have the husband hooked in as well,if you had made any significant find Im sure hed be hooked. As an aside I was wondering if low temps affect the electronis in the detectors? I know some electronics will get condensation in their innards when you bring them in from really cold into warm,like from your truck freezing all day into your cozy house? I know you arent supposed to store your detector in a place that would have high or low temps.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problems for the last 3 years here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. No long cold periods so the ground did not freeze to deep. I don,t mind the cold at all, can detect all day. What gets me is the drain on my batteries, when real cold they may last only 4 hours, where on a warmer day the would get 10 to 12 hours. This year the winter is supposed to be mild. I hope this is true.

Ed D.

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Well it was 30 here today and I went out for 2 hours... I did get snowed on a little. Only found two wheats, but it was a new experience for me (this is my first year detecting). My hands did get kinda cold, but besides that, it was fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread