Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out in the sweltering heat Saturday for about 3 hours. Not many options this time of year except for cow pastures. I would have hunted a little longer but the heat, the cows, and the flies that come with the cows proved too much for me. This is a spot that that I first hit almost 20 years ago. It’s given up two Rattlesnake with Stars buttons, two Harrison log cabin campaign buttons, three one piece eagle artillery buttons and a Vermont copper, but it is a small spot and I have worked it pretty hard over the years. This was my first time there with my upgraded F75 though. I was digging those iffy signals that sometimes get better when you open up a hole. I ended up with 3 buttons and a clipped 1840 large cent. Not much but it was good just to get out and dig something.

Here's what came home with me. Every hole you dig here has some broken ceramics in it. I pocketed a few examples.
a. 8-15-15 all.JPG

Copper in the dirt!! What's it gonna be?
c. LC in the dirt.jpg

Turned out to be an 1840 Large Cent with a piece clipped off. I was hoping for a nice state copper or early LC.
b. 1840 LC - front.JPG

Eventually the cows figured I must be onto something and they surrounded me along with the thousands of flies that were with them.
d. Cows.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beef, it's what's for dinner!

Nice hunt. Cool buttons and surprise LC.

Steve

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you, at least you got out. To darn hot and muggy here in central N.Y. to hunt. Them flies are nasty. Got them with the horses. I bring them in in the morning and turn on the fans, and they go out at night. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HUNTING. supposed to cool off in a couple days here, so we'll see.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice site that you've been sitting on for 20 years. I wonder what you will find after a nice rain storm in that area.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what happened to your large cent. I found one the 1840's that some farmer had buzzed a huge hole through it to possibly use it as a washer?

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see you post Steve!
Glad you got out for a little.
Not a bad hull for a pounded site..
Come on FALL!!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got heart,, it's in the 90's for the 3rd straight day.
I'm in no rush for winter, I remember the ground being frozen down 4 inches deep.
It'll be back in the 80's by the weekend.
Congrats on getting out.

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks good Steve. Shame about the LC. Good luck this fall and I am looking forward to your posts. WTG, Q.

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to not be self conscious with cows looking at you. Why can't they just mind their own business? You don't have to share finds with them?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice site that you've been sitting on for 20 years. I wonder what you will find after a nice rain storm in that area.

Soupy cow patties!

Nice finds Steve. The cut LC has some character and is better than a full one IMO.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
STEVE ANY FIND IS A GOOD FIND IN THIS HEAT. DIE HARD HUNTER GOT IT BAD WILL DO ANYTHING FOR A DIG. NO KNOW CURE AND NOTHING FOR IT IN THE WORKS. WHEN I GO OUT IM SHAKEN SO BAD WITH DETECTING WITHDRAWLS THAT AS SOON AS I FIND SOMETHING TAKES A LITTLE TIME AFTERWARD TO SETTLE DOWN , YEAH THEM WITHDRAWLS ARE BAD NICE FINDS FOR A DAY IN THE HEAT STAY WELL PLENISHED MY FREIND.

kromar3336

Mar 15, 2015
Pgh Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. Went up my camp in northern pa. Heat was awful. Very little digging. A tip of the hat to you for getting out.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve, Nice clipped LC! I have one cut in half to make change. Strange to see one clipped like that tho.....any ideas on that?? I think coins like that have more character than the complete ones. :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Liking the clipped copper as well! Wonder what the site would produce if it was turned? Though it's still some nice results from a hard hunted site.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Steve, I think the cows being there gave you luck! :thumbsup:

I hunted a pasture last week and every time I looked at the young heifers they ran away laughing at me... that's what I thought anyway! :laughing7:

Dave

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, Nice clipped LC! I have one cut in half to make change. Strange to see one clipped like that tho.....any ideas on that?? I think coins like that have more character than the complete ones. :thumbsup:

Erik, I can't think of any reason someone would cut a coin like that other than out of sheer boredom.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liking the clipped copper as well! Wonder what the site would produce if it was turned? Though it's still some nice results from a hard hunted site.

Unfortunately this site will never get plowed. It would be nice to sift the most productive areas.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good job steve, I attempted it yesterday, man it was grossly hot out, I think I literally lost 76 gallons of sweat!

cool clipped LC, I guess that 1800s lawnmower got ahold of that huh lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread