Coinshooting gone awry

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
So I went out coinshooting at a house site that had been built in 1910. The house itself had been moved a few years ago and I'm pretty sure that there was a house there before the 1910 house. Didn't find any old coins, but found the stuff below. First rosette and first buckle. I will posting in the wazit thread next cause I'd like to know more about the buckle and I have no idea what the third item is.

20150816 Bridle Rosette obv1.jpg 20150816 Bridle Rosette obv2.jpg 20150816 finds.jpg 20150816 whatzit obv.jpg 20150816 whatzit rev.jpg

Upvote 13

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relic finds! Congrats!

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The back of the third item has a pattern I have seen on a brass piece I found.

pattern.png

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Now if we only knew what it was....

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds :thumbsup:. The US item is interesting. At first sight it had me thinking CW Breastplate, but I don't think ive ever seen a US Breastplate. The more common one is the eagle design. Im thinking WW1/2 era. Maybe something that came off of some sort of leather gear. Do you have a picture of the reverse and measurements?
What machine did you find it with? How are you liking that Tejon?
I hear the Tejon is a very good and DEEP Relic machine, I only ask because I have a CW huntin buddy who wants to buy one.

Last edited:

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Now if we only knew what it was....

Okay so I was able to identify my own piece, and in doing so I learned that the pattern was pretty popular on, at the very minimum, pocket watches and lockets. The earliest dated item I found the pattern on was 1885, and the latest was 1913. If that time period is correct, it should help to date your piece.

brasslocket2.JPG

Your piece looks like it was definitely attached to something on the back. Can you get some more light on it and take some more pictures? That would help out. Also, do the same for the front if possible -- as it stands, I can't tell if there is a pattern on the front between the raised lines.

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds :thumbsup:. The US item is interesting. At first sight it had me thinking CW Breastplate, but I don't think ive ever seen a US Breastplate. The more common one is the eagle design. Im thinking WW1/2 era. Maybe something that came off of some sort of leather gear. Do you have a picture of the reverse and measurements?
What machine did you find it with? How are you liking that Tejon?
I hear the Tejon is a very good and DEEP Relic machine, I only ask because I have a CW huntin buddy who wants to buy one.

I've been told that this is a bridle rosette. I found it with my F75 because we were coinshooting. It was about a foot deep. I've only taken the Tejon out twice so far, but I really like it. It's just going to take some time to learn. After much research, I bought it to be my relic machine.

Your piece looks like it was definitely attached to something on the back. Can you get some more light on it and take some more pictures? That would help out. Also, do the same for the front if possible -- as it stands, I can't tell if there is a pattern on the front between the raised lines.

The design does not seem to be on the front. The lines of the front design are raised.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DIAL 777 NICE FINDS.... NEAT......

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Finds .

BTW What does the back side of the Rosette look like ? Lead Filled?

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Finds .

BTW What does the back side of the Rosette look like ? Lead Filled?

The back looks like a bunch of rust. I decided not to try to clean it because I was scared I might break something.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a couple of different lettering styles on the WW1 & WW2 rosettes. I found one from WW1 a few years back, & the U.S. is a little more block lettering style. Just the same as the buttons, there are subtle little differences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread