TOO many leads

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Well if you come across any in our neck of the woods come on over and let's find something, if not.....guess you better start makin room for a bunch of houseguests for an Oregon hunt! lol Sounds like a fascinating book actually...maybe when I get things caught up I will see if I can find someone sellin one! ;D

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
I got mine used on Amazon for $3.99. The seller was up in Portland so it shipped pretty quick.

Another great resource I've found lately has been small town city halls, at least the couple I've visited... Some local resident has invariably published a history of the town, and city hall usually owns a copy or has them available for sale.

DFXtraveler

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2008
First of all let me thank you for sharing all of your info with the rest of us. I am interested in finding out more about the caves, forts, trails, and general md'ing spots. We live near Hermiston Or. and travel into the mountains outside of LaGrande. We used to have a placer claim on Eagle Cr. (I still have the a 4" dredge). Any info you can give me on areas within an hour or so of Hermiston would be great. I also know there was alot of activity in the eagle creek area. we did alot of hiking in that area alot of neat stuff there. Do you have any info on this area also.
Thank you very much

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
DFXtraveler said:
First of all let me thank you for sharing all of your info with the rest of us. I am interested in finding out more about the caves, forts, trails, and general md'ing spots. We live near Hermiston Or. and travel into the mountains outside of LaGrande. We used to have a placer claim on Eagle Cr. (I still have the a 4" dredge). Any info you can give me on areas within an hour or so of Hermiston would be great. I also know there was alot of activity in the eagle creek area. we did alot of hiking in that area alot of neat stuff there. Do you have any info on this area also.
Thank you very much

Traveling west a little ways from Hermiston-

There is an old stage station at upper Wells Spring, foundation still remains (at least as of 1988). This is on the Oregon Trail. Sec 28, T2N, R25E. 80 degree spring.

A Cayuse-Army battlefield is in the SW 1/4 of Section 2, T2W, R26E.

There is an old immigrant camp just north of Cecil.

And another north of junction of tracks and road about 3 miles north (of) rock creek?

And traveling east, towards Pendleton and La Grande-

There is an old trading post just north Ladd creek, on Oregon trail. Area heavily used by Indians for foraging.

Another immigrant campsite both sides of river below Oxbow, S. of Hilgard.

And of course, heading south from La Grande you get into some darn good gold country pretty quick..... :wink:

Texas Gld

May 31, 2007
Powers,Oregon
Jeffro said:
I just got a PM asking about how I got these leads, thought I would post my reply here for all to see- pretty good info for research ideas-

Well, the bulk of them I got lucky on- heres the story....

Back in the 60's a hippy couple traveled all around the state of Oregon checking out all the neat sites they could lay their hands on. Along the way, they did research and made careful notes. These notes and specific sites, they eventually turned into a map and tried to market it. They made 1000 copies and sold them at flea markets, etc. Most wound up in the trash eventually. I found an old copy in pretty good shape, but it was stained and faded. I finally got a hold of the guy who purchased the rights to the map, planning to make copies and market them which he never got around to, and as luck would have it, he had about 10 of the originals left in his garage, all brand new!

I have traveled to enough of these sites to know that the info is very accurate as far as location goes. Dead on. I've driven right to indian caves that you will not read about anywhere!

Most other leads I get from a local bookstore that buys and resells books from the public. I look for older books pertaining to my area. You would not believe the amount of information that gets left out of new maps and books! I think most of it comes from the idea of preserving these old sites, they don't want the general public to know about. When it comes to books and maps, the older, the better!

Jeffro,

i'm a recent lurker (1 post now!), but this topic gave me cause to join. Several years ago, I was working in the Biscuit Fire area, and found an old mine - complete with tracks, air circulation system, etc... Made me think it was still slightly active. Close by was an old cabin, privy, and some type of "works" (rock walls, wheel, etc...). I'm going to go talk to a former coworker and try to find the exact location tomorrow, but does this sound familiar? I only ask 'cuz you seem to be a wealth of knowledge of anything in the general Pacific NW! I expect an exact coordinate tomorrow! I want to go find it again...

Regards,

Dan

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Welcome Dan! Don't give up on Jeffro if he doesn't answer immediately. He is very helpful but is probably hiding in World of Warcraft. lol Sry...just a quick chance to harrass him coming from a past WoW addict. :tongue3: I am looking forward to hearing what you guys figure out with your spot! Glad to have ya here!

Attachments

• welcome01.gif
    welcome01.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 854
  • welcome01.gif
    welcome01.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 878
OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
jeepboy91 said:
Jeffro,

i'm a recent lurker (1 post now!), but this topic gave me cause to join. Several years ago, I was working in the Biscuit Fire area, and found an old mine - complete with tracks, air circulation system, etc... Made me think it was still slightly active. Close by was an old cabin, privy, and some type of "works" (rock walls, wheel, etc...). I'm going to go talk to a former coworker and try to find the exact location tomorrow, but does this sound familiar? I only ask 'cuz you seem to be a wealth of knowledge of anything in the general Pacific NW! I expect an exact coordinate tomorrow! I want to go find it again...

Regards,

Dan

Hey there Dan, your mine can be found at 56, 42 in Azeroth..... :wink:

Seriously tho- that could be any one of literally hundreds of old workings down there. If the equipment is still around like you describe, it is probably being worked presently, no matter how old the equipment appears to be. Lots of rummaging goes on down there and if it ain't chained down it's either being watched or gone the next day.....

If you go stomping around in search of this place, make your prescence known anytime you come across signs of habitation at all. People down there can be skittish and if you holler out "Hey in the camp!" they'll figure you're not sneaking around. Good practice! Also helps to have a six pack and/or a bag of Doritos or some other quick snack handy..... lol!

Try this site for researching areas you think it COULD possibly be in, maybe one of the mine names or roads will ring a bell and start things rolling for you-

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=MC

rudolph411

May 30, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have often wondered if anyone had ever heard of a lost Indian mine in Washington county area?
From what I have been told it was somewhere South and west of Forest Grove, down toward the Tillamuck Burn.
This was from an old man that was born and died in the Cherry Grove area of Washington county.
He said that when he was a kid that there was a old Indian that would periodacly come into town (Forest Grove) to the store and pay his bill with gold nuggets.
The mans name that told me about this was Luke Stangle. He died in 1989 in Gaston, Or. He was 95 when he passed away.
One reason I was wondering was because a while back I was up to Hagg lake outside of Forest Grove, did a little panning in one of the side feeder creeks and got good color with a few small nuggets. Thought that I would mention it here to see if anyone knows anything more about this or this area ?

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
rudolph411 said:

I have often wondered if anyone had ever heard of a lost Indian mine in Washington county area?
From what I have been told it was somewhere South and west of Forest Grove, down toward the Tillamuck Burn.
This was from an old man that was born and died in the Cherry Grove area of Washington county.
He said that when he was a kid that there was a old Indian that would periodacly come into town (Forest Grove) to the store and pay his bill with gold nuggets.
The mans name that told me about this was Luke Stangle. He died in 1989 in Gaston, Or. He was 95 when he passed away.
One reason I was wondering was because a while back I was up to Hagg lake outside of Forest Grove, did a little panning in one of the side feeder creeks and got good color with a few small nuggets. Thought that I would mention it here to see if anyone knows anything more about this or this area ?

Actually yes, I have heard of several up near the burn- lemme dig around and see what I can come up with- :)

Sent ya a PM with more info- ;D

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Hey Jeffro,

Have you ever done any serious research on the 'Blue Bucket'? I'm wondering if you believe the Clark and Tiller theory or do you have a different take.

I've just gotten to the point where my wife and I are......FINALLY retired and have TIME to play. Seems like a good time to travel to Eastern Oregon. This thing has driven me nuts for decades. You are definitely "the man' for information here, so....hope to hear from you.

Bud

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
BudP said:
Hey Jeffro,

Have you ever done any serious research on the 'Blue Bucket'? I'm wondering if you believe the Clark and Tiller theory or do you have a different take.

I've just gotten to the point where my wife and I are......FINALLY retired and have TIME to play. Seems like a good time to travel to Eastern Oregon. This thing has driven me nuts for decades. You are definitely "the man' for information here, so....hope to hear from you.

Bud

Hey Bud- nope, nothing too serious.... but I guess I've read alot of versions!

Umm, my take on this one is that it has most likely been found and not attributed to the Blue Bucket, if that makes any sense. I think that it is more likely that one of the mining districts in Eastern Oregon may have been the spot at which the wagon train found the nuggets, but since no one can positively nail down the area it can't ever be attributed. I do have lots and lots of references to it, and I'll throw as many of the more obscure ones your way as I can dredge up. Sounds like you've done plenty of research on this one over the years, maybe there will be one or two I have that you haven't come across yet? :) Gimme a day or two and I'll put 'em up.

Jeff

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Hey Jeffro,

Recieved your e-mail regarding 'Blue Bucket'. Very good info.

Thanks a ton!!!

Bud

P.S. DFXtraveler asked about 'forts' in OR. There's a book (maybe out of print) by Herbert M. Hart, 'Tour Guide to old Forts of Oregon, Idaho, Wash. and California'. It is put out by The Old Army Press, Pruett Publishing Company. There is also a 'Tour Guide To Old Western Forts'-Posts and Camps of the Army, Navy and Marines on the Western Frontier, 1804-1916, same publisher.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Hey Bud- hope I didn't put ya off with my opinion on that mine. Please don't let what I say affect your own opinion in any way- I'm far from an expert, LOL! BTW- I also hold the same opinion on the Lost Dutchman, and several others. Probably hundreds of thousands out there that would disagree with me....... :wink: So enjoy the leads, if nothing else tracking them down may just prove me wrong and i sincerely hope you are the one to do so! ;D :thumbsup:

As for the forts- I musta missed that post, but here is a good site to check out.

http://www.brainygeography.com/types/OR.military.html

If the link only takes you to the main page- click on "Oregon", then "military".

oregongold.net

Greenie
Apr 30, 2009
Marcola, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
nugets4me said:
Ok what about Blue Holly? ANd the Sunstone? The Quartz at Quartz Hill up from Holly on the Calipooia

Holley Blue came from diggings that have been filled in with a dozer and is now on leased forestry property that is actually guarded by guards in towers overlooking the area. Its nice looking stuff, but will bleach out to white if left in the sun long enough.

What is available however, is Calapooya Blue, which is more blue than the Holley Blue, which is more of a grape jam color. The Calapooya Blue is easy to find because it can all be found in the same material. It lays in a grey ash layer.

I have a secret mine of the stuff up on the Calapooya where I was digging, tumbling and selling the stuff on Ebay. I am keeping this location to myself, since it took a very long time to locate. However there is more than one area.

Go up the Calapooya River past Holley. Go up till you hit gravel. If you stay on the main gravel road up beyond the 10 to 12 mile marker I believe (I might be wrong about the mile markers) there is a large grey formation that comes into view, it is pretty obvious when compared to the other formations in the area. It looks like a ash layer. The agate forms in the stuff and the minerals in the grey layers give the agate it's color. Believe it or not some of its green. Its right off the road with easy access. I have not been there in more than a few years so some new stuff may have formed, or erosion may expose some new stuff.

Expect sifting through a lot of bleached out stuff to find the really nice darker pieces of baby blue to dark purple.

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Jeffro said:
Hey Bud- hope I didn't put ya off with my opinion on that mine. Please don't let what I say affect your own opinion in any way- I'm far from an expert, LOL! BTW- I also hold the same opinion on the Lost Dutchman, and several others. Probably hundreds of thousands out there that would disagree with me....... :wink: So enjoy the leads, if nothing else tracking them down may just prove me wrong and i sincerely hope you are the one to do so! ;D :thumbsup:
Jeffro,

I'm not 'put off' a bit,......matter of fact, deep down I probably agree with you. The thing is, I am sure in my heart, all the 'experts' on the subject (Blue Bucket) have sent searchers off-track. I just wondered if you had ever had an epiphany when researching it. You clearly do more research than the average bear.

One of these days we might get together. I live within spitting distance of you.........River Road area. Thanks again.

Bud

indy1725

Sep 30, 2008
Howdy, all:

I've never done any serious prospecting or treasure hunting, but I've always wanted to. I bought a used detector last year and would really like to take it out this summer and give it (and myself) a good workout. I'd like to try to check out some abandoned mines or placer piles in Oregon, but I don't know the etiquette for searching sites like this. If it's really abandoned, do I need to get a permit or permission from BLM or anything like that? And likewise for placer piles of an active mine. It doesn't help that I don't have a specific mine in mind yet, though I've been researching a few in eastern Oregon, out near Mill City.

Any tips or recommendations? I'd appreciate it.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
indy1725 said:
Howdy, all:

I've never done any serious prospecting or treasure hunting, but I've always wanted to. I bought a used detector last year and would really like to take it out this summer and give it (and myself) a good workout. I'd like to try to check out some abandoned mines or placer piles in Oregon, but I don't know the etiquette for searching sites like this. If it's really abandoned, do I need to get a permit or permission from BLM or anything like that? And likewise for placer piles of an active mine. It doesn't help that I don't have a specific mine in mind yet, though I've been researching a few in eastern Oregon, out near Mill City.

Any tips or recommendations? I'd appreciate it.

Most important would be to check land status- who owns the land you wanna check out. If it's public- BLM or Forest Circus- its probably gonna be ok to go out and dig around a little. Check with the "powers that be" in that particular area- try the ranger station. If its private or claimed, you'll need to contact the owner or claimholder and ask permission. Check at county recorders office for records.

Better do it soon, by the time my kid is my age he'll have to wade through tons of paperwork and apply for permits just to go out to the woods on "our public lands". ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread