TOO many leads

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Thanks! We are going to give that a try. We have been doing some playing in the ochocos just trying to get used to the metal detector and the gold pans, we take turns with the metal detector so we try to play near water so the other person can pan. :) We will try the quartzville area soon and also wanting to get over by where my dad used to go in Sumpter when we lived in the baker area. I do love this forum! Everyone is so helpful and friendly! ~Cyndi~

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Dang it. I grew up in Oregon (Portland and Molalla) and spent some time in Hillsboro. Makes me want to move back just for MDing. Best to luck to you on MDing.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Sounds like you need to come back for a visit on your next vacation! I grew up mostly in Oregon but spent some time on the coast, over around Baker and also 4 years in AK. sheeesh and NOW I get into MDing and prospecting! lol Let us know if you come home for a visit and maybe we can all go out together!

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Cynangyl said:
Sounds like you need to come back for a visit on your next vacation! I grew up mostly in Oregon but spent some time on the coast, over around Baker and also 4 years in AK. sheeesh and NOW I get into MDing and prospecting! lol Let us know if you come home for a visit and maybe we can all go out together!

I will have to do that thanks for the invite. When I was in the Army back in 75 I spent about 4 months in AK (Ft. Greely), Nov - Feb there abouts. There were putting in the Alaska pipeline at that time. Would of been fun to prospect for gold and relics. I was a surveyor at that time and ran into an old building/house in middle of no where we named the building the Alaska Hilton as a ref point. Would of been great to have a detector at that time.

cmeskim

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2006
eugene
Detector(s) used
whites gmt goldmaster dd
Anyone heard about Wolf creek in lane county, out Lorane Hwy, west of the Town Crow? An old friend was telling me about a dried up stream bed they dug and got plenty of gold. I thought he was talkimg about Wolf creek down below Roseburg. But he again said Wolf creek Out Lorane Hwy. He told me they used a back hoe.
Anyways Hope you all had a fun summer.
PHIL

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I panned it in several areas, didn't find a speck. Delos Toole lists it as a gold stream, but I dunno.... :)

Sep 22, 2007
Jeffro

Been lurking on the site for awhile, was curious about the weird anomalies that you had listed. I have a jeep and a dual sport dirtbike and spend countless hours checking stuff out. Iam looking for a few interesting things to check out and or old cabins, etc, have some time off, coming up in 2 weeks to test out the 7 gallon tank on the bike. Any suggestions of sites anywhere from Mt.Hood to Bohemia to Glass Butte/Riley, OR worth checking out. More then happy to give a post check out report with pics of what I found.

I have a list of sites I have checked out and a few rumors I am trying to verify. I live up hear near mount hood and its def not gold country but I have been told of a hard rock mine south of salmon creek, apparently with ore cars still intact? Ever hear anything about it?

Thanks

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Oh boy, thats quite a large area! ;) I'll give you what I have thats near you, and a few scattered about the area you described. It'd take hours to put down everything in the whole area...

12-3-1981 A meteorite seen by many observers fell. Many report it last being seen SW of Silverton.

There is an immigrant camp on Gale creek- Approximate location is NW 1/4 of sec 36, T4S, R11E.

On your gold mine, there is one in the Cheeney (sp?) creek area with a reported production of 48 ounces of gold. Sec 20 , T36, R7E This site may help you more on that-

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/NILS-PARCEL2/map.jsp?MAP=MC

There are giant thundereggs high on east bank of Deschutes river. Just north of Maupin there's a campground called Oak springs. They're in this area.

A little NE of Oak springs campground is Shears Bridge. This is an ancient fishing area with an old stage road visible on the west side.

On the Columbia river at the mouth of Chenowith creek on the east side is an old immigrant camp.

At the top of Mount Hood is what they call a fumarole- a hot spring. 194 degrees, no swimming, LOL!

SSW of there is an area called Swim. 80 degree springs in sec 24, T3S, R8 1/2 E

Also in the Cascade locks to Bonneville area, this was a portage for immigrants in the 1840's. Highwaymen and unscrupulous types took advantage of many of the weary immigrants. There may be caches in this area.

Anomolies- there is the meteorite mentioned earlier, plus these-

9 miles NW of the town of Christmas valley, there's a place called Crack in the Ground. Year round ice. S edge of Four Craters lava field.

Big Arch- natural bridge on rim of Green basin. Phantom bridge, follow Forest circus signs off French Creek. I believe this is near Sardine Mountain, Marion county.

Lava cast forest- Lava flowing through virgin forest formed hundreds of molds in the area south of Bend and North of Paulina lake.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Jeffro said:
I panned it in several areas, didn't find a speck. Delos Toole lists it as a gold stream, but I dunno.... :)

To my knowledge, the Wolf Creek in the Delos Toole book isn't the one in Lane County, but rather the one further south. I don't know about the one up this way, but the one down there has pretty good gold.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
eathan said:
Jeffro said:

To my knowledge, the Wolf Creek in the Delos Toole book isn't the one in Lane County, but rather the one further south. I don't know about the one up this way, but the one down there has pretty good gold.

He's talking about the area west of Crow, out Wolf creek road. Haight creek and Clay Creek rec areas are out that way. Its on pages 102- 103 in Delos' book. I couldn't find a speck out there to save my life, LOL!

Yep, the Wolf creek down south is MUCH better! ;)

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any good leads on Lincoln city depoe bay erea.
i have a few.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
There is gold on the beach up there, although its REALLY fine. Check the black sand streaks where trickles of water are running down from the embankments. Look up David at www.cleangold.com , he knows more about that area for gold than I ever will!

Start checking into Three Rocks beach, supposedly there a pirate treasure buried nearby. Ruby El Hult has info in her books, Treasure Hunting Northwest and Lost mines and Buried Treasures of the Pacific Northwest.

Check my reply to Nash, #22. Thats closer to Seaside though.

Most all the beaches up there have good quality agates on them.

nsimeone2000

Jan 12, 2008
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Jeffro,

New to the boards, but whenever I am searching for something on Oregon, your name is there, thank you for providing a lot of information on this area, it has save me a lot of time and research. I was at the local watering hole and noticed you like to play with knives, you have a really high score on that game.

Anyway, we are close, we should go out and MD sometime. I am interested in Panning too, but I have no clue on how to do it.

Thanks again,

Nick

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Yep, Jeffro is an encyclopedia! lol He is also a great guy! Good luck with your hunting and make sure and let us know how you do!

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
I picked up a copy of In Search of Western Oregon the other day and all I can say is "Wow!" There are six or seven old town sites, railway stations and other likely spots within 10 miles of my house that I had no idea about, and the history is interesting enough to read the thing from cover to cover.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
sweeeet! Do they have Central Oregon? If not, I guess we all go stay with Eathan and go huntin!! :tongue3:

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Sure, we finally move all the inventory out of the house just in time to move a bunch of house guests in... ;P

The book covers parts of Central Oregon, but I'm not sure yet how much and I'm not sure if there's another covering your neck of the woods specifically. It's written by Ralph Friedman, the author of Oregon for the Curious. That's a pretty interesting book as well, but In Search of seems to hit more areas of interest to dectectorists.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions