Took 10 Years but I Found My Second Silver Half!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hi all,

To be fair it wasn't 10 years of consecutive hunting but I've heard a few serious years in there. Decided to brave the chilly Seattle rain today. It was gnarly but in the end worth it.

I took the CTX out for her second hunt. Started in a neighbor's yard outside of which I'd found some wheats a silver dime in the sidewalk strips. Only managed a lone wheat from there but it was a good one, 1911D. I went over the sidewalk strips with the CTX to see what I missed with the DFX. Was surprised to find that I'd missed 6 copper pennies (all memorials) and a tiny Seattle Transit token. Wow! I hit it twice with the DFX too. I'm excited to take the CTX to some other old honey holes.

Crossed the street to hit another neighbor's yard who I've gotten permission from. This is where things get interesting. Some neighbor comes up all puffy chested and is like "What's going on?!?". I calmly explained I was given permission by the homeowners. He glanced at the property line, realizes he mistakenly assumed I was on his land and then marched away.

So I'm hunting for a while, pick up some wheats and other interesting objects. I'm getting close to finishing the yard when ANOTHER neighbor angrily walks up,

Him: "Hey, do you realize you're on private property?"
Me: "Yes, I know the homeowners. Amy and Alex said I'm welcome to detect here."
Him: "Really?" (Condescendingly)
Me: "Yes, how would I know their names otherwise? They said they'd be fine with me detecting here and wished me luck."
Him: "So they gave you permission to dig in their yard and stuff."
Me: "Yeah, by the way, what is your name?"
Him: "Uh, Lance...okay I'll check with them to see if this is okay..."
Me: "You do that."

Finally he walks away. Holy smokes people can be nosy!

Anyways, next signal I get a banging 12-47 at 5 inches. Not really thinking about it because I'm a little riled by the conversation. I get down to 5 inches but there's nothing there. I dig down to around 6 or 7 and there's a big, beautiful, silver rim. I was jacked!

A detecting friend of mine just pulled a Franklin this morning so I was happy to have something to send back. Not to mention, my first silver half (and silver coin) was a Franklin I found spring of 2008. Here's the post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/82073-my-first-silver-coin.html

Doubled back over the yard and then called it a day, I was freezing my buns off!

I think the DFX would've got the half but I just don't know for sure. I'm glad to have the CTX. I can already tell it's a darn reliable machine.

Now to the good part, photos!

Fresh out of the hole:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869708.851670.jpg

Everything:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869733.357214.jpg

Close up of the old coins:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869754.738872.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869766.040996.jpg

Close up of the tokens:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869781.140290.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869790.291964.jpg

Years on the old coins:
-Franklin (54D)
-Wheats (11D, 50, 50S, 57D, 58D)
-KGVI Penny (52)

Kids ring rang up as a 47 but I can't find a marking. Could be silver but I'm not counting it because I can't verify.

A cherry on top is that this puts my mine and my brother's silver coin total to 28 this year, one more than our high of 27 last year. So cool!

Thanks all and happy hunting!
-W

Last edited:
Upvote 31

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang nice hunt , I use a e-trac and been wanting a ctx mmy huntijng buddy NMDan uses with great success. That big silver looks good , congrats

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does everyone think people with detectors are thieving something. I never can understand that. Nice finds, congrats!

goat88

Greenie
Jul 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, nice score. Franklin halves for everyone. I was wondering what you were trying to send me. My phone wasn't accepting the download for some reason. Great job. Should be headed out tomorrow. Maybe I'll see you there. 12.47 is usually a clad quarter on my machine but when its five or six inches down I'm definitely thinking silver. Glad you're getting to know your machine.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats, hopefully the next one will be a lot sooner

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score with the Ben!!!! We have detected in our town maybe less than 10 times.......This is why we like the areas we have to 4X4 into some of the time!! Excellent job!!!!!!:occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the large silver! :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your Benny and the Tootsie Toy cars. People can be very nosy. Last summer I was detecting in a yard where I had permission. I knocked on the door to let the homeowner know that I was there that day. About an hour later, 3 - yes 3 cop cars showed up. At this point I'm thinking " youve got to be kidding ". Some nosy neighbor called the police just because they didnt see the owners car in the driveway. I just told the police to knock on the door, and I kept detecting.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that silver half is great and all, but i really like those tokens. Good job.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find! In my 3 years hunting I've never found a silver larger than a quarter; halves and dollars are super rare to find.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations. Man I hate nosey neighbors!! Great job

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver half, and seeing that the CTX is sniffing out some missed finds.

Oh the satisfaction of being able to say that you have permission to detect. Sometimes its fun just to let them go off showing their hand first.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only can people be nosey, they can be outright jerks. Conrats on your finds and standing your ground.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds. It is a double edge sword having "nosy" neighbors. I prefer mine to have a questioning attitude but some peoples approach is a tad bit aggressive. I have been fortunate so far in not running into that type....yet. I know it is just part of the hobby like ticks, fire ants, poison oak and them tiny flying things that get into your eyes and mouth, but I love this hobby enough to put up with an occasional butt head. Hang tough and keep swinging!!!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Half! I've scored one Walker but a Ben eludes me. Neighbors...ugh..I scored a nice permission in the Heritage District here in town. Beautiful, old 1830 houses...Owner not home, sez "Help yourself!", a friend of the family. I'm there approximately...15 seconds, and I can FEEL eyes burning thru the back of my head...I about turn, the neighbor is standing on his sidewalk, hands on hips..."Uhhh...watcha doin' there?"..I said "Mike and Sherry are out of town but they've given me permission to detect"..Neighbor scowls, arms crossed now, tapping his finger.."Well, if you don't find anything interesting over there, check my place out, I'd love to see what you could find..." Wasn't expecting that..."I'd be more than grateful!" I say. Weird, but oh well, I'll take it! Ddf

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
BIG congrats on the BIG silver!

You have really been doing well lately. That is an awesome coin. Tough coin to find.

Best of luck to you and Junior!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread