Took 10 Years but I Found My Second Silver Half!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hi all,

To be fair it wasn't 10 years of consecutive hunting but I've heard a few serious years in there. Decided to brave the chilly Seattle rain today. It was gnarly but in the end worth it.

I took the CTX out for her second hunt. Started in a neighbor's yard outside of which I'd found some wheats a silver dime in the sidewalk strips. Only managed a lone wheat from there but it was a good one, 1911D. I went over the sidewalk strips with the CTX to see what I missed with the DFX. Was surprised to find that I'd missed 6 copper pennies (all memorials) and a tiny Seattle Transit token. Wow! I hit it twice with the DFX too. I'm excited to take the CTX to some other old honey holes.

Crossed the street to hit another neighbor's yard who I've gotten permission from. This is where things get interesting. Some neighbor comes up all puffy chested and is like "What's going on?!?". I calmly explained I was given permission by the homeowners. He glanced at the property line, realizes he mistakenly assumed I was on his land and then marched away.

So I'm hunting for a while, pick up some wheats and other interesting objects. I'm getting close to finishing the yard when ANOTHER neighbor angrily walks up,

Him: "Hey, do you realize you're on private property?"
Me: "Yes, I know the homeowners. Amy and Alex said I'm welcome to detect here."
Him: "Really?" (Condescendingly)
Me: "Yes, how would I know their names otherwise? They said they'd be fine with me detecting here and wished me luck."
Him: "So they gave you permission to dig in their yard and stuff."
Me: "Yeah, by the way, what is your name?"
Him: "Uh, Lance...okay I'll check with them to see if this is okay..."
Me: "You do that."

Finally he walks away. Holy smokes people can be nosy!

Anyways, next signal I get a banging 12-47 at 5 inches. Not really thinking about it because I'm a little riled by the conversation. I get down to 5 inches but there's nothing there. I dig down to around 6 or 7 and there's a big, beautiful, silver rim. I was jacked!

A detecting friend of mine just pulled a Franklin this morning so I was happy to have something to send back. Not to mention, my first silver half (and silver coin) was a Franklin I found spring of 2008. Here's the post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/82073-my-first-silver-coin.html

Doubled back over the yard and then called it a day, I was freezing my buns off!

I think the DFX would've got the half but I just don't know for sure. I'm glad to have the CTX. I can already tell it's a darn reliable machine.

Now to the good part, photos!

Fresh out of the hole:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869708.851670.jpg

Everything:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869733.357214.jpg

Close up of the old coins:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869754.738872.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869766.040996.jpg

Close up of the tokens:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869781.140290.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519869790.291964.jpg

Years on the old coins:
-Franklin (54D)
-Wheats (11D, 50, 50S, 57D, 58D)
-KGVI Penny (52)

Kids ring rang up as a 47 but I can't find a marking. Could be silver but I'm not counting it because I can't verify.

A cherry on top is that this puts my mine and my brother's silver coin total to 28 this year, one more than our high of 27 last year. So cool!

Thanks all and happy hunting!
-W

Last edited:
Upvote 31

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the sweet silver half. I'll take the opposite viewpoint and say I don't consider that neighbor to be nosy at all. In fact, I think that Alex and Amy are lucky to have Lance as a neighbor. When my family is not home we hope that our neighbors are keeping an eye on our house. You see, our community has had break-ins and it makes sense that we all look out for one another.

The next time you're approached by someone like Lance, consider smiling and telling him that Amy and Alex are lucky to have him as a neighbor. He'll be shocked. If you do it right, you might land a new friend and a new permission on that street! Happy hunting.

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the big silver and should have asked Lance permission to detect his yard since he was being nosy.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Great find! In my 3 years hunting I've never found a silver larger than a quarter; halves and dollars are super rare to find.

I rarely ever even find quarters to be honest! Dimes seem to be the MO around here. Keep after it, they are out there! Still looking for my first silver dollar.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Congrats on the nice finds. It is a double edge sword having "nosy" neighbors. I prefer mine to have a questioning attitude but some peoples approach is a tad bit aggressive. I have been fortunate so far in not running into that type....yet. I know it is just part of the hobby like ticks, fire ants, poison oak and them tiny flying things that get into your eyes and mouth, but I love this hobby enough to put up with an occasional butt head. Hang tough and keep swinging!!!

Agreed. I really don't mind people asking, I think it's wise. I had a guy earlier in the day ask about my finds, chat for a bit, and then just asked "So do you usually just get permissions before hunting peoples' yards?" I explained that yes I did, he wished me luck, and we were both on our merry ways. I don't really get angry when people blow a gasket when they approach me now because it's happened so often. I mostly just find it humorous and kind of sad.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Beautiful Half! I've scored one Walker but a Ben eludes me. Neighbors...ugh..I scored a nice permission in the Heritage District here in town. Beautiful, old 1830 houses...Owner not home, sez "Help yourself!", a friend of the family. I'm there approximately...15 seconds, and I can FEEL eyes burning thru the back of my head...I about turn, the neighbor is standing on his sidewalk, hands on hips..."Uhhh...watcha doin' there?"..I said "Mike and Sherry are out of town but they've given me permission to detect"..Neighbor scowls, arms crossed now, tapping his finger.."Well, if you don't find anything interesting over there, check my place out, I'd love to see what you could find..." Wasn't expecting that..."I'd be more than grateful!" I say. Weird, but oh well, I'll take it! Ddf

Wow, that is unexpected! Still looking for my first walker. That's on my short list for this year! :)

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
BIG congrats on the BIG silver!

You have really been doing well lately. That is an awesome coin. Tough coin to find.

Best of luck to you and Junior!

Thanks so much CT. Looking forward to seeing what spring has in store for all of us!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Congrats on the Benny, Wheats, Tootsies, tokens,, man you had a great hunt. Unlike the Etrac, with the CTX, you don't have to worry about getting caught in the rain. Great machine.
Congratulations

Exactly. Big reason I bought the CTX is because it rains so dang much out here. I wanted a machine that was ready for anything. Hoping to do some lake wading this summer too!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Congrats on the big silver and should have asked Lance permission to detect his yard since he was being nosy.

Trust me when I say that both Lance and the other guy were not in a happy, chatty mood. Sometimes I find that people just want to be angry and take it out on the easiest outlet. Who knows, maybe I'll run into him again. This was only 3 blocks from my house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread