Took a sample of a lake bed. Does this mean its a good time to get into prospecting?

Nitrana

Jul 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSC01065.JPG
    DSC01065.JPG
    955.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
jcaz i think i might need a few more thumps to the head lol what i meant to say was im thinking how to rearrange bills so i can afford it.

My personal advice since you are new to this game...I think you need to spend more time in the river with simpler gear before you choose a dredge or high banker. Experience and exposure to other prospectors in the field will teach you a lot about what will be enjoyable and productive for you. I've seen too many guys spend a lot of money on cool gear as newbies and then it turns out to be a poor fit to their needs....or just goes unused due to all the other demands on their time. Don't be that guy!

Tweeta_bear, I'm still hoping to hear about your field adventures and to see your golden results...unless of course your whole goal is to have a collection of clean, shiny gear ;-)

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone have experience with the Gold Exorcist?

Don't get caught up in the easy to find or process Gold schemes as some work and some don't! I did and I purchased a Spiral Gold Panner that sat in my' garage unused until it was toast and now I have to figure a way to replace some components on it as I want to eventually use it as I know they work. When starting out, it is best to start with the basics (Gold Pan, Classifier and yes a Sluice which I forgot in my earlier post, sorry) and learn how to find Gold, how to pan it and re-coup the Gold first. Once you get a little experience, then you might want to expand to a highbanker or highbanker/dredge or a dredge. However, since many States are outlawing the use of these, you will want to make sure they can be used where you prospect before investing good money into them! Some of the equipment can be built at home and there are tons of videos and even written instructions on how to do so. You can make a simple Gold Recovery system out of a piece of corrugated drain pipe and a PVC pipe that works pretty good to recover even fairly fine Gold.

Frank

Last edited:

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
oh no kevin i will positively show you. my trip is planned for the 25th threw the 2nd. im hoping there is some sort of reception up there so i can show every evening after my day. as far as newbie yes i am fairly new to this but i have dabbled in panning ever sent my science class in high school when they taught us how. im turning 43 on the 25th of august, my youngest boy is turning 18 soon so i dont have the amount of responsibilities that i have had in the past which allows me more time now. oh and sense this is my actual first gold panning expedition i wont get a dredge or high banker until i experience this first. i know its a step by step process and im going to mack sure i experience evry one at least once how will i know if i like it if i dont try?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
oh no kevin i will positively show you. my trip is planned for the 25th threw the 2nd. im hoping there is some sort of reception up there so i can show every evening after my day. as far as newbie yes i am fairly new to this but i have dabbled in panning ever sent my science class in high school when they taught us how. im turning 43 on the 25th of august, my youngest boy is turning 18 soon so i dont have the amount of responsibilities that i have had in the past which allows me more time now. oh and sense this is my actual first gold panning expedition i wont get a dredge or high banker until i experience this first. i know its a step by step process and im going to mack sure i experience evry one at least once how will i know if i like it if i dont try?

Sounds great!

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
oh no just a friend of mine knows a guy who has one he got from a friend and he dont use it so he offered it to me.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hummm Lots of good advice going on here as usual but gentlemen (and for some I use the term VERY loosly) I think we need to get some more info from our Canadian friend here.

Now I saw that you posted that there were a lot of lakes in your area that had been formed by glaciers. Now have you done any research into how glaciers work yet? That alone will point you to the most likely location to find gold.

You can also study the area around the lakes for even more clues. See if you can find some exposed bedrock and take a good look at it. Look for scratches that all run the same way on the surface. That will give you an idea as to the direction the glacier was moving and depending on the size of the scratches the size of the material that was being moved. There's also a chance of gold in some of the deeper ones if someone else hasn't found it already.

Hunting gold is a passion and like all passions, the more you learn about it, the easier it gets. Study, observe and apply what ya learn.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nitrana,
Welcome to the net. There is active gold mining going on in Ontario in about the minddle of the prov. Last year I spent a week in Ontario a little nw of Ft. Francis. For shits and giggles I took a small sluice and pan and in a little creek that flowed between two lakes I ran a couple of buckets of material and found about 4 small colors. It didn't really surprise me but I knew I could never get rich there but it was cool just the same.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

rustbucketguy

Jul 29, 2013
Augusta, GA
Primary Interest:
Other
gold panning for beginners

Check my website at Heritage Gold Mine Park about halfway down the intro page, I have a video that is almost exactly what I teach for newbie panners (coarse gold in crushed rock). Video is done way faster than I recommend for beginners. Most of my Park visitors get comfortable with the panning techniques by about the 4th panful.

The pan I use at the Park is also available through HomeDepot online (you will have to search specifically for gold pans), free shipping to the nearest store. I use the 10 inch black pan with coarse traps and fine traps but I recommend the fine traps only for use with fine material that has absolutely no pebbles. Nothing fancy about the techniques, just basic stratification, and dipping to skim the top surface. Everything after that, there is no discharge out of the pan, so there is very little risk of loosing gold.

Also, I recommend getting in touch with your local chapter of GPAA. I am sure there are a lot of people there that are more than willing to show you how to recognize how gold behaves in a pan, how to identify gold, and show you what the imposters look like, and they will show you without making you look silly. Trust me, it will be the best hour you spend and it will save you a lot of frustration. Don't forget to condition the new pan before you start to use it. PM me if you have questions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread