Took a sample of a lake bed. Does this mean its a good time to get into prospecting?

Nitrana

Jul 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSC01065.JPG
    DSC01065.JPG
    955.5 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To be honest, it looks like material I would want to sample before digging.
The pics show a lot of black sand material, and unfortunately the one that
I believe you used above is really fuzzy.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get yourself a gold pan, and pan it down, it's easy, fun, and you will soon see if you have any gold in there.:thumbsup:

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
+ 1 on what Golden Maven said.

"Lake", you say.

Still waters are not the best place to look for gold as gold is carried from its origins on moving water. Is there a creek or stream supplying this lake or is it just the water table?

What state are you in?

Time to pan it out and let's have a look - see.

Welcome to T'Net Nitrana & good luck! :goldpan:

OP
OP
N

Nitrana

Jul 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+ 1 on what Golden Maven said.

"Lake", you say.

Still waters are not the best place to look for gold as gold is carried from its origins on moving water. Is there a creek or stream supplying this lake or is it just the water table?

What state are you in?

Time to pan it out and let's have a look - see.

Welcome to T'Net Nitrana & good luck! :goldpan:

I went well off the beaten path. There are many lakes in the area. Lots are connected, but from my perspective it was still water.

edit: It was in Ontario

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago...about 1976, i was with a buddy and we drove our motorcycles across mexico to mazatlan. While in the sierra madre mountains we camped by a small stream with pure black sand. I didn't know anything about panning back then but i sure remember thinking about gold when i saw that spot.

Somewhere in the mountains west of durango mexico.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that you need to pan the material out to see what you really have! In areas known for Gold, where feeder streams or rivers empty into a lake, is a very good spot to get Gold. Also in these areas, known and recognizable main channels (the original river bed) in man made lakes by use of dams, are also good places for Gold as the Gold flowed through the original river beds for thousands of years.

Frank

OP
OP
N

Nitrana

Jul 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have zero experience with gold panning. If anyone could point me towards any useful references, that would be great!

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
There are several threads on here with video on how to pan and you can get pan on eBay for bout 5 bucks

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have zero experience with gold panning. If anyone could point me towards any useful references, that would be great!

First, purchase a Gold Pan, then check out all of the videos at the link below! It is easier for you to learn from these, than it is to try to explain the process. Also, since I would imagine that you will be doing some Gold prospecting in the near future, go ahead and purchase a Classifier when you purchase the Gold Pan.

Gold panning - YouTube

Good luck!

Frank

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, don't get too excited. I have dug "black sand" from lakes in the past thinking the same thing as you. The black you are seeing is very likely organic material. Lay it out on a pan in the sun and let it dry for about a week and see if it's still black.

AimSmMissSm

Jan 9, 2013
Be carefull the " $5 gold pan is the gateway drug to the $3500 4" dredge." just about everyone on here will agree with me.

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
i dont know if you can get a gold pan for $5 but i agree with you. i was offered a 2 1/2 inch keene dredge the other day, im really thinkin about pickin it up.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of threads to checkout:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/327445-gold-panning-video.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/366956-panning-videos.html
Does anyone have experience with the Gold Exorcist?
GOLD-EXORCIST.jpg

Looks like a mini-drywasher. You have puffers and blowers. Puffers are self contained, blowers use something like a leaf blower to generate the fluid bed. That one needs a blower to operate. Actually, the instructions are calling for generators? There's clearly a leaf blower in the video.

There's a lot of words on their website,...
the gold exorcist fine gold filter system

I sort of distrust babblely websites. However there are some links there to magazine reviews.

Short end of it is if you are processing wet material from a lake, this won't work. Dry washers work great with dust and dirt of 0% humidity environments.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont know if you can get a gold pan for $5 but i agree with you. i was offered a 2 1/2 inch keene dredge the other day, im really thinkin about pickin it up.
Please allow me to thump you upside the head. Really thinking about picking it up?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread