South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I snuck off for one last quick hunt after 5 hours at the 4th of July pool party before the township fireworks. Hit my 1800's site in the park woods again. No more screaming signals, so worked the one way iron targets where I could squeak out a high tone. Found a really big intact flat button. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499224207.654724.jpg I think it is either a tombac or silver plated. My first perfect ball button and another suspender buckle. The very last target was by a tree and lots of roots. Pulled 2 small iron nail fragments then what looked like part of a pocket watch, so I kept digging with my pocket knife around the roots and my pinpointed. And I saw this. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499224145.235720.jpg Nothing like the feeling of seeing the edge of a silver coin at a really old site. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499224191.130309.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499224232.039393.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499224242.325649.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499224256.286578.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499224266.293564.jpg
Only one mystery item. To the left of the big flat button. Thought it was a mushroomed bullet at first?
Good luck out there!

Upvote 18

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, you are wrecking that spot!:headbang: Keep after it man. Sweet old finds and the Pretty Lady looks very FINE! For an old broad!:o WOO HOO ! :hello:

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude, you are wrecking that spot!:headbang: Keep after it man. Sweet old finds and the Pretty Lady looks very FINE! For an old broad!:o WOO HOO ! :hello:

Thx!! This is coin #9 from the 1800's or earlier from this site. Crazy. I have found some virgin sites in the woods, but this one is definitely special. No cellar hole, no depression, no old trees, no stones or bricks, no access road, just a spot in the woods. The home site must have been plowed flat.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Seated! My pouch still has not seen hide nor hair of anything Seated...I've been on more than a few 1850 house/farm sites but haven't hit Seated yet...there's still a handful of juicy, old farms near me and when I grow a sack and ask, I just might get lucky...lol. Ddf

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The large button on the right is a tombac, which is an 18th century button. At least is was made in the 18th century but could have been lost years later. Congrats on the seated dime. Seated silver has eluded me for almost my entire metal detecting career. I have only found one seated dime and that's it.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey PA -- loving your finds. We found something similar to your mystery item (or maybe not) and thought it might be the top of a stamp fob. Who knows! Congrats on your seated and gorgeous button. ~Lisa & John

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful Seated! My pouch still has not seen hide nor hair of anything Seated...I've been on more than a few 1850 house/farm sites but haven't hit Seated yet...there's still a handful of juicy, old farms near me and when I grow a sack and ask, I just might get lucky...lol. Ddf

Thanks Dirtdigginfool! I think my luck with the old farm sites is that they have almost zero modern trash (including modern coins...). These are farm homesteads that do not appear on aerial photos from the 1930's. So basically everything I dig is really old (except for shotgun shells and some foil from hunters). Makes every non iron signal pretty exciting to dig. I have hunted some more modern farm homesites (like went defunct 30 years ago) and haven't had much luck. Typically too much iron to fight through. Try to find an old historical map of your area, you might be closer than you think to a pocket spill of Seated coins!!

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The large button on the right is a tombac, which is an 18th century button. At least is was made in the 18th century but could have been lost years later. Congrats on the seated dime. Seated silver has eluded me for almost my entire metal detecting career. I have only found one seated dime and that's it.

Thx Steve on the ID! I have yet to unearth a large button with a design in the front, still on my bucket list. You probably aren't finding many Seated coins as your sites are a century older than mine!!! Actually I found a Seated 1891 dime and a 1876 quarter about a 5 min hike from my current site in the last year.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Steve on the ID! I have yet to unearth a large button with a design in the front, still on my bucket list. You probably aren't finding many Seated coins as your sites are a century older than mine!!! Actually I found a Seated 1891 dime and a 1876 quarter about a 5 min hike from my current site in the last year.
Well I have found enough Indian Head pennies from the time frame of seated silver that you would think I would have gotten a few by now :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread