Vanished Homesite Big Silver

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I remembered there being an old well or outhouse hole and a very old fridge in the woods alongside my running trail near my school, so I decided to take a friend there and detect yesterday. We walked and walked, and finally found where it was. There was also a huge pile of neatly stacked bricks from the demolition that we know occurred in the '70s or shortly after. No old coins, but the first interesting find for me was what I think is a brass name plate from a steamer trunk or something! Now I know the family name who lived there! (Speculation of course). Next was a solid 45 signal on the X-Terra and it turned out to be big silver! This was a silver spoon bowl that I think someone may have hammered flat for a windchime. I have found most of a windchime that was done this way elsewhere, so that is what I assume it was flattened for. Does anyone recognize the pattern or this "A" stamp on it? Inspector's stamp? Any help with dating it would be greatly appreciated. The last good signal at the base of a tree ended up being the remains of an E. Ingraham & Co clock that was made between 1881 and 1885! I had an awesome 3 hours at the site with a friend, but then it was way past lunch time, so we will be returning to go over the other 4/5ths of the homesite soon. The silver spoon windchime weighs 27 grams! That's more than a silver dollar! I feel that I've learned so much already about the people who lived here, when now not even their house remains. True time travel.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 14

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Like that spoon sounds like you will have many more good hunts there.Looks like those finds were so easy to make you could do it standing on your head LOL Thanks for the post!!!!!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A2coins stole my thunder. Nice old relics and a chunk of silver to boot. I am getting dizzy trying to get a closer look at you standing on your head.:icon_pale:

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ha yeah only on here after I post, some pics rotate weird. Lots of poison ivy, but luckily we covered up well. Not many other obstacles, we will be back for sure, hopefully to find the coin field or the rest of that windchime! There's a lot of iron too, so we prob passed over some coins as well, although the iron is not as heavy as it is at my house, so that's a plus!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t_r.gif
applaud_01.gif
t_l.gif

..: NICE FINDS Frisco :..
Now, get back in that hole and find the rest of the clock!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a big spoon, liking the A stamp on it. Congrats on the recovery.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ha! The silver spoon windchime is Gorham Buttercup pattern! I was checking the top twenty sellng patterns of all time to see if I could get lucky and that's what it was, made 1899-1950. It's hilarious because I found some of this pattern in a thrift recently, and it's still the only pattern I have ever found! here's the bottom of a serving/tablespoon spoon online- that should match closely the bottom of my spoon lol. Still don't know what the A stamp is, although they usually denote a weight or size, R for regular weight, P for place size, etc. I've heard Y for youth, so maybe A for adult?

image.png

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread