took a spill into the water with my Safari...what do i do!?!?

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i was out detecting on the bank of a river and as I was walking back to land the hardened pluffmud bank kinda gave out and i took a spill. As I was falling i attempted to get the detector on the bank but to no avail. the detector was submerged in a few inches of water for about .5 seconds but it was enough for the detector to turn off. I immediately started taking it apart. took the batteries out and took it home. I tried to take the control box apart but i couldn't get one of the screws to come out but i let it sit in a bowl of rice for a few days. Put new batteries in and tried to turn it on and nothing. Not sure what to do at this point. Is there a way for me to get it working again? Is there a way i could get a new control box? Would minelab help me out?? Being a full time grad student and getting married this weekend, money is tight. Hoping y'all can steer me in the right direction ( hopefully that direction doesn't cost me 1200 bucks and a new detector) Thanks for reading...

-Stef

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Send it in for service, and try and learn from your mistake.

Good Luck! :occasion14:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah it needs some real help I'm afraid. Good luck! Hopefully you'll get by without paying for a new one.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh water is better than salt but not good. DONT PUT BATTERIES IN IT! I would hit it with a can of electronics cleaner or 90% alcohol stat and let it air out. Then I'd put it in rice or something to suck the water out. Patience. If you short(ed) it while its wet you could have fried it. Then if that fails send it in to Marty. I brought my pinpointer back to life by pulling the battery quick and 90% alcohol then in front of the fan for a few days since I didn't have electronics cleaner handy. My two cents

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get a CTX?

J/k. Let it sit for at least 3-4 days and do NOT turn it on yet. Let it dry. Most likely something shorted out, which is why it turned off. If it won't turn on after 5 days or so its off to repair for you! Good luck.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Being a full time grad student and getting married this weekend, money is tight. Hoping y'all can steer me in the right direction ( hopefully that direction doesn't cost me 1200 bucks and a new detector) Thanks for reading...
-Stef

Stef..

First off...CONGRATULATIONS!
party.gif~original

If I were you I'd be asking my new wife about her thoughts. If she takes up
the cause (she knows detecting is mucho important to you), then odds are she'll
get on the phone with Minelab and she'll either get you a repaired, or new machine.

There are benefits in marriage ..... I'm just not sure what they are..
marriage.jpg~original

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same thing with my explorer. Took it apart and put it over the heat vent for a few days. It fired back up and has been fine since. Figure out a way to get that screw out.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others said, it just may turn back on once it dries thoroughly. If it doesn't, unfortunately it will need a trip to the service center... give it a good chance to dry and I hope you are back in business soon.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
That's terrible. These machines aren't cheap. Hopefully letting it set will work, but if not, I wouldn't think the repair would be the same price as a new machine. Hopefully you don't have to go that route and it works for you after drying out.

BTW congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a blow dryer set on cold air on it and dry it real good, afterwards try it ONE time only, if that doesn't work don't keep trying to turn it on as it can cause more damage. If it want start ship it in to the Minelab repair center...

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been 5 days since the dip. Did it dry out or is it toast?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember if there is trapped moisture each time you try to turn power on it damages something on motherboard.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HERE"S A HINT. Put it in a SEALED plastic bag with DRY WHITE RICE like Minute Rice for 5 days or so. Miracles sometimes happen. The rice will suck up moisture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread