Took advantage of great weather w/silver and assorted items...

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Weather just too nice today to stay inside and after checking my crutches and letting them sit in the corner I limped my butt out the door hoping to get a silver fix!! Knowing I couldn't hit the woods and having to stick to level ground I went to a school in Ohio where I had pulled silver before. Great weather and coins coming up left and right I was definitely enjoying myself, most coins were only a couple inches in the ground, enough to just pop them out with my screwdriver. Maybe an hour after hunting I had a deep hit, so took my time digging and ended up with the Kennedy Half, a little surprised it was clad, but another couple steps I dug my first wheatie, then another, and finally another deep sweet sound in the quarter range. Again, taking my time I dug the plug and saw the glint of silver, but a little surprised it was a 1935-S Merc. checked the hole with the probe and nothing, checked the plug, again, nothing. So I put the plug back in the ground and rechecked and again had that deep quarter hit, opened the plug and dug at an angle and popped out the 1943 Washington Quarter. After another wheatie and a Buffalo nickel I didn't find another old coin. Right before I left had a loud shallow hit and popped out the Sterling Silver "NCAA National Champion" pin, or medallion or piece of ring. I checked all around the area and didn't come up with anything else, pretty sweet find but would enjoy trying to learn a little more about it!! After today's finds I went over $800 for the year, totals for the day were:
1 Clad Kennedy Half
23 Clad Quarters
1943 Washington Quarter
12 Clad Dimes
1935-S Merc
19 Nickels
1 Buffalo Nickel
10 Memorial Cents
3 Wheat Cents

****NCAA Champion****
I just paid a little attention to the medallion and JUST noticed its from 1975, football, and I think the players name is there too: "Wittenberg" I gues I know more than I thought about it!!

Attachments

• 1226 001.jpg
    1226 001.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 577
  • 1226 002.jpg
    1226 002.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 573
  • 1226 003.jpg
    1226 003.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 573
  • 1226 004.jpg
    1226 004.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 564
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jack(IN)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Slabman said:
Nice finds Jack! The NCAA piece is quite intriguing. First, I don't think that
is a top to a ring. I don't think they make rings like that, with a removable top.
Also, I believe that championship rings are made out of gold, and not silver.
With the back having a sterling mark, makes me think that that is the way the
piece was supposed to be. Now the million dollar question... what is it? Is there
any marks where there was an eyelet for a chain? Because it is silver, I wonder
if it wasn't given to a cheerleader, or some other part of the team other than
a player who would get a ring.
Just some stuff to ponder. Very cool piece!! :)

HH Slabman

I just checked it and it sure is a pendant and the eyelet is definitely broken off. If I can wrangle my camera from my girlfriend I'll take another pic later. The way it looked I just assumed it was part of a ring. Nice attention to detail!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread