Took almost an hour to dig this one out!

gentleart

Jun 19, 2013
ForumRunner_20130625_135738.png

ForumRunner_20130625_135808.png

ForumRunner_20130625_135842.png

ForumRunner_20130625_135912.png

ForumRunner_20130625_135944.png

Gonna have fun busting this one up!

Are there good methods of cracking rocks open to see what's inside without ruining the contents or is it mostly a roll of the dice?

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a definite plus, but I'm also breaking open flint and Iron geodes to see what is inside. I would like to eventually take some classes, but I just moved back to NC and haven't found a job yet, so I can't afford tuition and books.
What's a iron geode? In almost two years, I've gone on four geode hunts. Twice to Keokuk Ia. and twice to central southern Kentucky.
Are you talking about metal flakes inside? Hematite perhaps? Or maybe iron stained geodes?
Sure you know, you're in a gem capital. I hope to visit Franklin this fall or spring in pursuit of some unsalted productive collecting. I understand the chamber of commerce will advise on salted and unsalted. Good to know they disclose.
Ray

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gentleart

gentleart

Jun 19, 2013
Hi, Ray. Seeing that I'm definitely not educated in geology, but have a thirst for the knowledge, I must have meant hematite. That in itself confuses me because I am a jewelry designer and have used hematite in my work for years... and it looks nothing like what you are questioning me about which we used to call Indian Paint Rocks when we were kids growing up in this area.

You should see this house - rocks in the back yard, rocks on the porch... in the sink... on the counter top. Lol

Upvote 0

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful of those geode crystals in the sink(garbage disposal). I learned the hard way.Lol
You have geodes in NC? I didn't think there were any to speak of.
How far from Franklin are you?
Have you done any gem mines there?
This will be my first visit.
Ray

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gentleart

gentleart

Jun 19, 2013
Thanks for the heads up. I don't have a garbage disposal, but I'm sure it wouldn't be good for pvc piping either.

I'm not sure what other types of geodes are here, but the property is part of the Carolina Slate Belt and is not too far from the Uwharrie Mountains and the Pee Dee River. It's 82 acers and has narrow creeks that run through it.

The land I have been hounding on is in the center of the state, in the southern part, not too far from the SC border. Franklin is in the mountains. I have never been to a rock or gold mine - would love to go to learn a few tricks though.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy visiting NC!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread