Took my 6 Year old Detecting and WOW is all I can say

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro & Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my son has been bugging me to take him detecting, and I always put him off as he was to young. So he tells me dad I am 6 years old and am I old enough to go hunting with you. I said sure but for a short while.

So we gear up and meet my other hunting buddies to hunt a new Civil War site.

But for my son I planned on planting 4 or 5 bullets to help teach him how to hunt and pin point. Which he did an excellent job, so he is now hunting on his own, right next to me of course, and he gets a signal and he yells out to me that he has indeed got a signal, so I check the target and it reads in the high 70's low 80's, I figure soda can, because it sounded shallow. But I felt that he has to dig trash as well. So he starts digging and can't find the target, I gave him my probe and he was having problems so I checked his hole and the surrounding area, and what I thought was a pull tab turned out to be a 2 Reale dated 1772. I have never been happier, except when he was born. And his find won him King of field. I just wish I had my video camera with me,

So my sons first ever hunt lands him on the 1700's score board.

Attachments

• 20150322_185403.jpg
    20150322_185403.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 273
  • 20150322_185339.jpg
    20150322_185339.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 55

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lucky him and lucky you. My seven year old boy rarely goes out with me and when he does he wants out quick. Dam that xbox one! Haha
Maybe my two year old boy will be different. He's a digger already trying to get in the house plants soil all the time! [emoji2]

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable and Wonderful father son time. Memories are made of this. Congratulations to both

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is a terrific story, that memory will last your son and you a lifetime, the memory is way better than the find which is a outstanding find by the way.

Now that's what it's all about

GREAT FIND!!, the story got my banner vote

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And he will never let you forget it, Mike

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Genlee,

Excellent story, thank you for sharing! The 2 Reale is a great find. I too bring my children (or they bring me), it's not to often you have a helper/hunter to assist in target recovery. These are great moments in his/your life that will be cherished for a life time.

Regards,

OP
OP
genlee

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of him holding his find, he actually wants to sleep with it so he will have it tomorrow. I love my 4 children, and believe it or not my Middle daughter wants to learn how to make knives and swords with me in the shop.

I only allow 2 hours a day total for electronic anything in the house. So my children go outside and play.

Attachments

• 20150322_194526.jpg
    20150322_194526.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 219

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be a record for the youngest person to dig a 1700's coin. Now that is going to be a hard one to beat. AWESOME JOB..

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of him holding his find, he actually wants to sleep with it so he will have it tomorrow. I love my 4 children, and believe it or not my Middle daughter wants to learn how to make knives and swords with me in the shop.

I only allow 2 hours a day total for electronic anything in the house. So my children go outside and play.

Good rule. Bloody knees, poison ivy and chiggers are something kids should all experience, not all day tv, video games and drama on facebook. I'm tempted to vote banner on his find!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! Quality time with your kids is what it is all about. making memories to cherish for a lifetime. O btw, tell him great score and Congrats!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cultivate that passion. Those kids will learn for a lifetime what you show them. It seems you have shown them well and a hobby that will bring them many great memories. Well done! And great find.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the story and inspirational! Both of my sons have no interest what so ever.

OP
OP
genlee

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son loves carrying around his Treasure chest with his allowance money in it and he will loose it. So I tell him it is treasure hunt time, so yes I am glad he wants to do these things with me. I grew up in a time when children were seen and not heard, well I want to hear my son and I want him to enjoys everything.

he really does not understand the significance of the coin, all he knows is he dug three ringer mini balls today, just like dad. The coin will sink in soon enough.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is something else! You know he is going to be HOOKED now right? Lol

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find I take my soon to be 6 year old with me sometimes last year his first target was a shot .45 bullet. He loves to go but gets pre occupied at park sometimes lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread