Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a top of the line Garrett detector and use my LandRanger as a spare and loaner mostly. Every once in a while I get it out and take it for a spin just to refamiliarize myself as to how it works. I took it out yesterday to a small landlocked park near my house that I don't think anyone else detects as it is not well known and I never see any signs of anyone being there ahead of me. Anyway, I turned the LandRanger on and to my surprise I remembered exactly how to run it so I set out for the "chips". After just a few minutes I had covered the small play area and easily found a couple dollars in clad including several quarters, dimes and lots of pennies. It was obvious no one had been there since my last visit. As it was getting warm I hunted the shade of a few small trees and picked up some more clad including a couple of quarters in the same hole in an area I had hunted many times before but just missed them. They were at 4 inches and didn't sound very loud but gave a weak repeating signal. The LCD screen was showing quarter all the time however. I had the sensitivity set on 5 and the discrimination was manually set by factoring out all the iron signals along with pull tabs and the penny icon. All the pennies I dug rang in under the penny/dime icon. The sound was a little louder if the target was a dime and I didn't have much trouble distinguishing between the two. I went over by a basketball court and ran the discrimination on program P3 and found a couple of dimes and some more pennies. I saw several coin signals at the 6 inch depth , but the ground was just too hard to dig that deep! We are having a drought and the ground is like concrete! The park is fairly new, less than 20 years old and I don't expect to find anything but clad. I did find a 14k gold chain once out by the basketball court! All in all it was a pleasant little short hunt and no one was around except me and a couple of joggers and one dog walker. Speaking of dogs, you'd better watch your step as the dog lovers don't seem to want to clean up after them! The LandRanger once again proved itself to be a really good detector, one I wouldn't be afraid to use about anywhere, even the saltwater beaches. It does have a manual ground balance although it has no salt elimination feature. In comparing it with my Garrett 2500 I don't think it lacks anything with most of the bells and whistles and it is a whole lot less expensive. I may be giving up a little depth but not much and I like the multitone of the LandRanger better than the belltone of the Garrett machine. It certainly is a whole lot lighter and less tiring to use. I have had my LandRanger for sale but on second thought I think I'll just keep it! BH gets a bad rap in my book and this little dandy is a pleasure to use! Monty

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
Monty, I agree, I read a post the other day on another form slamming BH and their service yet the post - er never even sent the machine in when it was under warrenty to see if their was a problem with it. Now many years ( I think it was 10 ) later he wants to rant about it because they could'nt trouble shoot it over the phone. !!
Tesoro has great service and I 've had to use it, but to date after many hours of use ( at least 3 times per week ) my Titan keeps plugging along with the original re chargable batteries in her.

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
:) Hi Monty, I really enjoyed this sort of, techno-post of yours here to-day. You describe this kool unit and it's ways, very well over here, so it's not just in the Marbles threads that you have a way with words then... 8)

If you are still active in this post, let me know, as I have a little input that may interest others too. :)

Where are ya, Montyman? ???

:) Lb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread