Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the lack of "before" and "after" pics of the coins....but you'll have to settle for "before"...'cause I don't have time to clean 'em if I want to keep my job. ;D

When I field test a coil I don't take it to a new site...I take it to sites that I have pounded into submission with my 3 favorite coils. There is simply no other way to give an accurate and unbiased assesment as to how the coil performs. How do I arrive at a final verdict or grade after testing a coil?...simple....if a few other coins end up in my pouch that I missed with the other 3 coils....it's a winner.

In this case I took the 6 x 8 SEF coil to 3 different parks that I have hit with my arsenal of coils. First the pro coil...secondly the 10 x 12 SEF coil...and then one more pounding with the 6" Excelerator.

To be completely honest...I was a little stunned at the coins that popped out of these 3 parks over 6 hours time...and all in extremely heavy trash.

It might not look like much to you fellers'...but this coil sniffed out 4 silver....7 wheaties...and 3 Injuns'....from sites I assure you I have thoroughly blitzed. It's a KEEPER for me.

Don't get me wrong...I worked very hard for these in some dense trash at all 3 parks....but this coil worked just as hard. It cut through the trash like a laser...and many of these coins were as deep as 8"...with one closer to 9". Over 50% of the coins had trash directly in the hole...and the other half had trash within 1" of the hole.

The tone ID was dead on at all depths...and the smartscreen ID was also just as accurate.

I was able to run the sensitivity at whatever I wanted...but I ended up with it at semi auto 32...which is funny...'cause that's exactly where I ended up running the 6" Excelerator at. Yes it could have been run at 28 to 30 manual...but at semi auto 32...the target ID was crisp...the coil hit hard and clear...and with the settings I run; it cut the falsing to a minimum.

It also handled the nasty EMI at one park better than any other coil I have.

It really reminds me of the 6" Excelerator the way it hits...and locks on deep coins in the trash...but I truly feel it separates better....MUCH better.
In fact I feel that's why this coil is so effective. A few coils go very deep...and I use 'em. It doesn't matter how deep a coil goes though unless it can "SEE" the coins at the depths they're at. This coil does just that for me.

I was able to pull an injun'... 3 wheaties...and 1 merc from a 10' x 20' spot that I absolutely crept through with the 6" Excelerator coil on multiple occasions....which completely amazed me. The only explanation I can come up with is that the 6 x 8 separated in a more efficient way...thus allowing me to sniff 'em out.

To be completely honest...and that's all I know how to be...the depths these coins were found at were the same great depths the 6" provides. For some reason though....these coins were still hiding in the dense garbage....hence my thoughts of advanced separation qualities.

It also handled the iron patches very well for me and was able to suck a roosey and 2 wheats right through long nulls.
The roosey was sitting on top of an old rusty bolt...and also had an old style tab in the hole with it.

I never thought I'd say this...but I might have to give my hot little friend...the 6" Excelerator coil... a break. :wink:

Attachments

• coins163.jpg
    coins163.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 621
Upvote 0

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Either you didn't go over the coins before or that new coil is a pretty good one.
Either way you found some nice keepers,CONGRATS :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
One question, Bryce: Where do you get the coil?

I've been looking for a smaller coil that's not as noisy when EMI is present. Sounds like this 6X8 is a real winner!

Awesome recoveries, buddy! :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
One question, Bryce: Where do you get the coil?

I've been looking for a smaller coil that's not as noisy when EMI is present. Sounds like this 6X8 is a real winner!

Awesome recoveries, buddy! :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan. It is available overseas from a couple of distributors but as far as I know...Kellyco is the only U.S. distributor.
I've tried the 5" Sunray...the 5" Excelerator...the Joey...the 7.5" Minelab...the 8" Sunray...etc.
For me...I found the 6" Excelerator got the same depth as the 8" coils...while separating like the 5" coils. The new 6 x 8 coil has once again opened my eyes though :wink:

fortbball9 said:
Either you didn't go over the coins before or that new coil is a pretty good one.
Either way you found some nice keepers,CONGRATS :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Bryce , I'm grateful for the info - It's so encouraging for me to realize that by setting up with a

different coil - I could walk back in to any number of sites and pull goodies - for different reasons - trash masking

or depth , or both . I've already been delighted to realize that the old adage "no site is hunted out" is true,

even with the same equipment - I've gone over very small areas and pulled wheaties after having searched

these areas numerous times . I believe you when you say you've pounded some of your areas to death,

and now you can put a different coil on and go get the deepies or the masked coins -very exciting !

Argentium.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Thanks for your take on how this coil performs. And not too bad of a haul from previously pounded parks! I got one of these coils too... just haven't had time to use it. This weekend for sure though! I will take it to my "Trash City" park where I've gotten some silver in the past and see how it goes.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Sounds like you found another great coil. But I bet the just having some great skills too might make a difference Bryce. Nice job once again on finds. :thumbsup: jgas

PS-RI

Nov 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer se with x-1 sunray probe
outstanding finds ;D

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
Hey Bryce That is awesome !!!! Congrats on the silver and your new friend !!!! Mine came in the mail yesterday and going to give it a try this weekend.HH and Good luck on your next hunt !!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see these type of posts all the time and always think the same thing, what do they prove if you don't have other coils on hand to switch and check the signals? I have sites I've hammered for years and somedays I get very little for decent finds, other days are good and I wonder why I don't hunt there more.

You never know, another coil that day may have found you more! As you know detecting is a funny thing and if there is no control to your "testing"? then it could be just the luck of the day.

I would be happy to get out right now with any coil! :-\

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey!! :D

I have read about and my hunting partner and I have talked about Coils like that one. That they are very good at trash separation. Well I guess you just proved it. I'm going to have to find a coil like that for my machine. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH!! :thumbsup:

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread