Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the lack of "before" and "after" pics of the coins....but you'll have to settle for "before"...'cause I don't have time to clean 'em if I want to keep my job. ;D

When I field test a coil I don't take it to a new site...I take it to sites that I have pounded into submission with my 3 favorite coils. There is simply no other way to give an accurate and unbiased assesment as to how the coil performs. How do I arrive at a final verdict or grade after testing a coil?...simple....if a few other coins end up in my pouch that I missed with the other 3 coils....it's a winner.

In this case I took the 6 x 8 SEF coil to 3 different parks that I have hit with my arsenal of coils. First the pro coil...secondly the 10 x 12 SEF coil...and then one more pounding with the 6" Excelerator.

To be completely honest...I was a little stunned at the coins that popped out of these 3 parks over 6 hours time...and all in extremely heavy trash.

It might not look like much to you fellers'...but this coil sniffed out 4 silver....7 wheaties...and 3 Injuns'....from sites I assure you I have thoroughly blitzed. It's a KEEPER for me.

Don't get me wrong...I worked very hard for these in some dense trash at all 3 parks....but this coil worked just as hard. It cut through the trash like a laser...and many of these coins were as deep as 8"...with one closer to 9". Over 50% of the coins had trash directly in the hole...and the other half had trash within 1" of the hole.

The tone ID was dead on at all depths...and the smartscreen ID was also just as accurate.

I was able to run the sensitivity at whatever I wanted...but I ended up with it at semi auto 32...which is funny...'cause that's exactly where I ended up running the 6" Excelerator at. Yes it could have been run at 28 to 30 manual...but at semi auto 32...the target ID was crisp...the coil hit hard and clear...and with the settings I run; it cut the falsing to a minimum.

It also handled the nasty EMI at one park better than any other coil I have.

It really reminds me of the 6" Excelerator the way it hits...and locks on deep coins in the trash...but I truly feel it separates better....MUCH better.
In fact I feel that's why this coil is so effective. A few coils go very deep...and I use 'em. It doesn't matter how deep a coil goes though unless it can "SEE" the coins at the depths they're at. This coil does just that for me.

I was able to pull an injun'... 3 wheaties...and 1 merc from a 10' x 20' spot that I absolutely crept through with the 6" Excelerator coil on multiple occasions....which completely amazed me. The only explanation I can come up with is that the 6 x 8 separated in a more efficient way...thus allowing me to sniff 'em out.

To be completely honest...and that's all I know how to be...the depths these coins were found at were the same great depths the 6" provides. For some reason though....these coins were still hiding in the dense garbage....hence my thoughts of advanced separation qualities.

It also handled the iron patches very well for me and was able to suck a roosey and 2 wheats right through long nulls.
The roosey was sitting on top of an old rusty bolt...and also had an old style tab in the hole with it.

I never thought I'd say this...but I might have to give my hot little friend...the 6" Excelerator coil... a break. :wink:

Attachments

• coins163.jpg
    coins163.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 622
Upvote 0
OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I see these type of posts all the time and always think the same thing, what do they prove if you don't have other coils on hand to switch and check the signals? I have sites I've hammered for years and somedays I get very little for decent finds, other days are good and I wonder why I don't hunt there more.

You never know, another coil that day may have found you more! As you know detecting is a funny thing and if there is no control to your "testing"? then it could be just the luck of the day.

I would be happy to get out right now with any coil! :-\

Hi Iron patch.
Funny you should mention about having "other coils on hand to switch and check signals"...because that's exactly what I do when I field test a coil or machine.

My "testing" is very controlled which is exactly why this field test "proved" a lot to me....and I conveyed that into my post to let other people know.

This wasn't the "luck of the day"...it was just a lot of hard work with a new coil that separates better than any coil I've ever used on my Explorer....and it found coins definately missed by the other 3 coils. :wink:

Anyway...thanks for responding and I hope you're able to hunt soon....and have good luck when you do. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Stellar Coinage Bryce ... :thumbsup:

Looking forward to hooking up for a hunt sometime in the near future ...

~ Nick ~
Thanks brother. We will definately hook up for some turf digging before long :thumbsup:

Detectingfreak said:
nice job on the 3 indians and the silver! :)
Thanks D.F.

John (Ma) said:
Looks like the coil can help find a few more hidden treasures.
Thanks John. It sure did.

Butler said:
Thanks for your take on how this coil performs. And not too bad of a haul from previously pounded parks! I got one of these coils too... just haven't had time to use it. This weekend for sure though! I will take it to my "Trash City" park where I've gotten some silver in the past and see how it goes.
Your welcome. I'll tell you what...if you have the patience to creep through the trash...it'll sniff some goodies out.

Argentium said:
Great post Bryce , I'm grateful for the info - It's so encouraging for me to realize that by setting up with a

different coil - I could walk back in to any number of sites and pull goodies - for different reasons - trash masking

or depth , or both . I've already been delighted to realize that the old adage "no site is hunted out" is true,

even with the same equipment - I've gone over very small areas and pulled wheaties after having searched

these areas numerous times . I believe you when you say you've pounded some of your areas to death,

and now you can put a different coil on and go get the deepies or the masked coins -very exciting !

Argentium.
Thanks buddy. It is always fun to go back to a worked site...and take the challenge of bringing a few more oldies to the surface. Different cols...different angles...different days...and stuff can pop out. This one found some missed by my other coils though.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob S said:
Great Finds WTG
Thanks Bob.

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hey!! :D

I have read about and my hunting partner and I have talked about Coils like that one. That they are very good at trash separation. Well I guess you just proved it. I'm going to have to find a coil like that for my machine. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Mud. Yes...they will definately pop out a few deepies hiding in the trash if you work 'em slow enough.

t-bucket said:
Hey Bryce That is awesome !!!! Congrats on the silver and your new friend !!!! Mine came in the mail yesterday and going to give it a try this weekend.HH and Good luck on your next hunt !!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks G-Money

jps-newengland said:
outstanding finds ;D
Thanks friend

jgas said:
Sounds like you found another great coil. But I bet the just having some great skills too might make a difference Bryce. Nice job once again on finds. :thumbsup: jgas
Thanks buddy. I appreciate it...but the coil did most of the work.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
No matter what you're driving, the oldies find their way into your pocket!
Thanks HD. I just have the luxury of drivin' a few different rides :thumbsup:

coltdavis said:
Awesome finds! keep it up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks C.D.

Twin Digger said:
Nice superfreak Nice. LOve the Merc's.

I'll get one this year.

Happy Hunting

Twin Digger
Thanks Twin Digger. I hope you find one this year buddy. In fact...I know you will :thumbsup:

Kimsdad said:
WTG, Bryce!! Those gorgeous Mercs are some real beauties!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks buddy. i do like the shiny stuff. Hope all is well with you

Marchas45 said:
Nice haul with your new coil, Congrats!
Thanks Marc

allen said:
looks like the new coil will
pay for itself quickly...

I think so too Allen. It woirks well in the trash.

bclark said:
Nice finds. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for viewing and good luck on your next hunt

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kdismuke1 said:
NICE FINDS BRYCE. AND SOME GREAT INFORMATION. :thumbsup:
Thanks buddy. It really reminded me that no coil and no hunter gets it all.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Bryce on some great finds. I was waiting to see if you were going to field test this coil. Thanks for the info. Hopefully after vacation my wife will allow me to get one. ;D ;D

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Nice finds for your new coil. It sounds like a winner Bryce. You sure are getting a nice assortment of coils there. The problem would be deciding which one to use at any given point. Of course in high trashy areas ones that specialize in those would be key but what about the ones that are designed to do relatively good in the same areas. BIG DECISION. That's a position that alot of us would like to afford to be in. :thumbsup:
Chris

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice story and good research and skills on your part, Bryce. They should hire you at kellico to be their coil tester :D

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Bryce,

Great info on the 6x8. Sounds like it is a must have weapon for trashy areas. But, I know your expertise played as big a part in those finds as the coil did.

Thanks for a very informative post on your field test and congrats on the silver and IH's...

Good Hunting to you !!!

Brian in MA

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks silverfreak, this is the type of article that makes this site what it is..... well done :coffee2: Now what about a coil that misses pulltabs but not the gold :o

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RONC(OR) said:
Luv them ladies sweet silver keep it up congrats :thumbsup:
Thanks Ron

pgill said:
Thanks silverfreak, this is the type of article that makes this site what it is..... well done :coffee2: Now what about a coil that misses pulltabs but not the gold :o

God bless
Peter
Thanks Peter. Brother...If you find one of those coils you're talking about....PLEASE snag one for me too :thumbsup:

DugHoles said:
Sweet coins....congrats!!!

Happy Hunting,

Dugholes
Thanks D.H

Brian in MA said:
Bryce,

Great info on the 6x8. Sounds like it is a must have weapon for trashy areas. But, I know your expertise played as big a part in those finds as the coil did.

Thanks for a very informative post on your field test and congrats on the silver and IH's...

Good Hunting to you !!!

Brian in MA
Thanks Brian. I appreciate it...but the coil did most of the work. It separates like crazy :thumbsup:

crazyjarhead said:
Nice story and good research and skills on your part, Bryce. They should hire you at kellico to be their coil tester :D
Thanks CJH :wink:

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Nice finds for your new coil. It sounds like a winner Bryce. You sure are getting a nice assortment of coils there. The problem would be deciding which one to use at any given point. Of course in high trashy areas ones that specialize in those would be key but what about the ones that are designed to do relatively good in the same areas. BIG DECISION. That's a position that alot of us would like to afford to be in. :thumbsup:
Chris
Thanks Chris. I definately wouldn't want to use this baby in a large area...but it sure does rock in the trashy spots.
Somepeople think it's dumb to have so many coils...but you can sure pick a site clean with so many weapons. :thumbsup:
Take care bro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread