tool for rocky rooty soil and heavy clay?

Frankmacera87

Greenie
Oct 21, 2013
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have out back an old farm and rail stop on state property. Its sweet got the whole place to my self. For the year I've been trying to dig out targets. Problem its very rocky rooty soil. Roots 1/4th inch to 3 inch roots and rocks out side the walls from an inch to a soft ball every inch to 2 inches apart. Roots are more like 3-4 inches apart. I had a gi shovel with root saw used it in this soil, 5-10 swings the shovel was bent and chipped and blunted. Only got down to 4 inches kept going got to 10 inches shovel snapped off. Got down another 2 inches only to find it was an old iron nail in a peice of tin. Next target my trowel snapped on one side never got the target. So the question is does anyone have a recommendation on this type of soil other then a mule and a plow?

The other soil I struggle with is heavy thick dense clay. This stuff is terrible its like rock or wood, had to use a post digger and even then it wasn't coming out. Just a nicely shaped circle of heavy gravely clay. I assume the post digger had a hard time because the clay and gravel was wet. Any recommendation?

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So! You have problems with hard clayey soils and rocks, eh?
I use a short-handled pick, and wail-away at the target, by digging well away, and around the target.
You first must get a very good pinpoint of your target, determining the orientation/size/shape of
the object, and the depth. The deeper the target, the bigger in diameter the hole has to be,
to (dig) down as far as the object is.... Scrape or poke-away at the remaining dirt, to reveal your treasure.
Wear glasses, for eye protection.

OP
OP
F

Frankmacera87

Greenie
Oct 21, 2013
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So! You have problems with hard clayey soils and rocks, eh?
I use a short-handled pick, and wail-away at the target, by digging well away, and around the target.
You first must get a very good pinpoint of your target, determining the orientation/size/shape of
the object, and the depth. The deeper the target, the bigger in diameter the hole has to be,
to (dig) down as far as the object is.... Scrape or poke-away at the remaining dirt, to reveal your treasure.
Wear glasses, for eye protection.

I tried a pick recently in this clay, it also broke. It's extremely hard, almost like concrete. It is so tough this stuff nothing can take root in it so it's a field of hard clay with layers of gravel in it. I broke a Shovel in it as well.

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Sampson T handle. Apply pressure with foot and wiggle back and forth and for roots I use a small pruning saw.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a Mason's Bricklayer Hammer (aka a chisel tip rock hammer) when I am hunting where the holes won't be noticed.

Mine is a 20 oz Kobalt from Lowes. Handy for playing around with fossils as well. Wear eye protection!

$_14.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Frankmacera87

Greenie
Oct 21, 2013
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: broken a few more shovels, pruning saw, and a chisel and my favorite, the post digger....all for a few hand wrought nails...I'd love to dig more targets but short of dynamite and a backhoe I'm beat lol

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a pick in rocky areas. A leche t handle shovel will bust through chert also. Once I hit chert the target is rarely beyond that though?

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Piranha2.jpg

Preditor Tools Piranha 2.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, me again,
If you haven't found what you are looking for, that won't break and is definitely
a "persuader" when digging in tough conditions, try Estwing tools
Estwing Geological Tools
they are expensive, but will do the job!

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Try a gasket scraper, $3 at Harbor Freight

image_12898.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread