Tool ID Please

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on the beach at Amelia Island Plantation (near Jacksonville, Fla.) a few years ago. What was it used for? Coastal Plains Chert I think and it has a little bit of a twist in the length.
IMGP0015.JPG IMGP0016.JPG IMGP0017.JPG

Upvote 0

GTK96

Jul 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a really nice adze, basically a woodworking tool...I have a feeling gator will chime in
HH

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to say..nice find
And..nice adze.
" and please enunciate that last part carefully! "

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that is a chert Celt you have there...... I know, I know, always the naysayer......look up flint Celts and you will see your tool.........

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
www.theaaca.com/Learning_Center/celts.htm
You could look up Flint adze and think you see the same thing... there's a difference... and we would need a shot looking directly at the front of the bit to see it.
I have no idea why This guy screws up When describing how a celt was Hafted but he got the rest right.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say Celt due to the fact all adze I have found are a bit flatter on one side and yours looks equal on both sides.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference between a celt and an adze.. like it described in the link I took the time to provide above is only in the bit. An adze will have a curve to the bit. It was Hafted perpendicular to the shaft and used like a swinging wood chisel.
A celt has a straight bit.. and is nothing more than an axe without a groove.. and was hafted at the same relation to the handle as a modern axe. They were used to chop directly through wood.

Last edited:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference between a celt and an adze.. like it described in the link I took the time to provide above is only in the bit. An adze will have a curve to the bit. It was Hafted perpendicular to the shaft and used like a swinging wood chisel.
A celt has a straight bit.. and is nothing more than an axe without a groove.. and was hafted at the same relation to the handle as a modern axe. They were used to chop directly through wood.

Nicely put!

OP
OP
T

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff guys, thanks. Notice it also has a slight twist in its length.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find.. there's usually more than one in an area you find those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread